Chael Sonnen blasts Joe Rogan about revealing Colby’s Schtick.

2004 account

For a fair sport/true mma fan, ain't no shill
@Silver
Reaction score
Chael’s argument is basically the same as the title of an old snoop dog album “The game is to be sold not told”.

He says that Rogan is an idiot for saying that Colby’s incessant running of his mouth is all a ploy to attract viewers to watch the ppv (which is true).

Chael is basically defending a pro wrestling schtick/gimmick where the commentators must help sell the wrestler’s (or in this case the fighter’s) fictional personalities, but fuck that, how about keeping mma as close to a real sport instead of fake wrestling? One that is a dignified Olympic level sport?

Nah instead Chael wants to turn mma into pro wrestling with fake personalities and narratives. Boo this man.

I’m not even defending Rogan because god knows the hyperbole king has created numerous hype jobs all on his own, but in this specific case he is right.

Let’s keep this a sport or else soon we will have influencers (fighters) becoming role models to this youth of impressionable fans that will actually start to believe that mma is about creating a fake personality while forgetting that martial arts teach good values like discipline, honesty, honor and integrity. By some threads and posts I’ve seen here, it looks like it’s already happening.

Last edited:
Charlie Z would kill Chael, Nachos and Callcopsington in the same night.

Nobody actually buys his personality. Its plain as day he's just being a poser.

So..... Chael is doing exactly what he's saying Rogan did - discussing Colby's made-up persona?

wow, because none have already realized it.

Breaking News: Fighter with boring personality acts a fool to sell fights. More at 11.

This is prize fighting, it's not a dignified sport to begin with.

It's not a sport at all.

Also, who gives a fuck.

Colby's schtick is about as hard to see through as a window.

Gangster recognize Gangster. Game knows game. Goat sees goat. GreatNess speaking about greatness. ........... by Sunday I expect Mike Perry to weigh in here

Not surprising. Like Colby he needed to run his mouth to get attention because his style is so boring.

Part of the appeal of mma has always been the personalities. The problem is today people seem to think personality just means being an asshole on twitter.

Look at GSP vs BJ, two great personalities, neither one an asshole, and it was super compelling.

Nobody actually buys his personality. Its plain as day he's just being a poser.

His intention is to rustle jimmies.

He's certainly been successful at it.

So it seems people actually are falling for it, even when they know it's an act.

Genius by King Chaos.

Part of the appeal of mma has always been the personalities. The problem is today people seem to think personality just means being an asshole on twitter.

Look at GSP vs BJ, two great personalities, neither one an asshole, and it was super compelling.
To say BJ wasn't an asshole in that point in time is a stretch.

This is prize fighting, it's not a dignified sport to begin with.

It's not a sport at all.

Also, who gives a fuck.

This sums it up perfectly my friend.
Why anyone cares is beyond me, but if these shenanigans make Colby a star, more power to him.

It will be interesting to see what happens if Colby has to carry a PPV.
Seeing how TWood is angling for that big money fight, he is going to do everything he can to help sell it to the buying public as well.

A lot of people complain about fighters not "selling" fights.
Well, these 2 maniacs are basically willing to do anything necessary.

It’s cage fighting. The word dignified doesn’t belong anywhere near it Mr. Grey Poupon.

So..... Chael is doing exactly what he's saying Rogan did - discussing Colby's made-up persona?
Yeah, I don't even remember Joe saying that. But it's definitely fresh in my mind now!

I understand his point. It’s like going to a David Copperfield performance and telling everyone that he’s not really doing what he’s portending to do and then going on to explain the machinations of his act. We know it’s an act but viewers want to suspend their disbelief. We know Arnold isn’t actually a cyborg in terminator and that Star Wars isn’t actually occuring in space. It’s part of the show. Don’t be a killjoy.

Back