Chael Goes Full Retard for Colby

Chael is just stating that Colby is trying to cultivate a character just as he did years ago. While it’s an unpopular sentiment among the warriors of virtue on Sherdog, it takes more than two guys fighting to sell a fight. There has to be a resonance, a sound bite, some tension to grab the viewer. Literally no one cares that fighter A is fighting for his son or to bring honor to his gym. It’s a hell of a lot more interesting when fighter A appears to severely dislike fighter B, because as laymen we associate mutual disdain with fighting. That’s why fights typically break out in the real world.

Even we hardcores who know that Colby likely doesn’t act that way all day don’t like being reminded, “hey, it’s a character. He’s actually just a regular hard working guy.” It’s like people telling you, “you know, in the movie Terminator Arnold isn’t really a cyborg!” We know that someone like Conor isn’t popping bottles and flossing every night to be able to look and fight the way he does. Really, Jones is the only guy who may actually be living on the edge while whipping ass at a world class level. And guess what? Fans dig Jones more because of it. He’s not a regular human being and as fans, we don’t want to see regular humans. We want characters. Pride framed its fighters as though they were comic book characters and that’s why nearly a decade later, when we think of Fedor, Cro Cop, Rampage, Shogun and Wanderlei, we think Pride.

This guy gets it. Everyone else here is a mark.

But it’s okay, they’re much needed lol.

i mean at this rate you would have to a be a fucking moron to not realize the dude is just putting on a farce to sell ppv's...it worked for Bisping it worked for Chael and it worked for Conor the only difference Colby makes it plain fully obvious

Chael is exactly correct. Joe should not be saying that stuff on the PPV. Even if everybody does know... it takes it to a different place when it's verified. Everyone knows WWE is scripted. Nobody who is a fan though, wants to have that conversation. It should not be revealed.

I think Chael is correct also that not everyone even knows. People "in the know" are well aware of what Colby is doing... and even a moderate casual. However, the light casualz who just catches Colby talking a little sh*t leading into a party & him & his buddies are high fiving & eating that sh*t up, getting stoked for a night of JBG's... that's who Chael is talking about.

Plus why would Joe want to dis someone's attempt to sell PPV's... while he's commentating on a PPV? lol... did we need Chael to explain how wrong that is? That just hurts the future business.

hey, say what you want on your podcast Rogan... only hardcores are tuning in anyway. PPV is not the place for that.

Last edited:
Exposing someone during a live PPV is not the same as exposing someone during a podcast.

There's been a lot of heated discussion from Chael about Rogan's comments during the PPV that Colby Covington was trying to earn ppvs with his act.

One thing is, Chael is almost constantly admitting that Covington is putting up an act. He tries to make it seem like Covington has a master plan behind this, when in reality it's pretty clear he is trying too hard to be a bad guy everyone wants to see lose (Although he already lost), and it doesn't come off authentic the way Conor did

Chael is just trying to get more people talking about Chael.

Mission accomplished.

I don't know how you could summon the level of disbelief suspension to ever even momentarily forget it's an act. He fucking stutters while trying to trash talk. It's a goddamn embarassment. I've scarcely ever seen someone worse at it.

The reality is that there are almost no stars left in mma, public interest has waned, and a one dimensional boring wrestler can’t get the casuals to care with pathetic “trash talk”

No, he's not.

But they're both very strange human beings. Chael also didn't create trash talk in the UFC. Tito Ortiz and Ken Shamrock were smashing records long before, and that's just one example.

If I'm just a 'casual' fan I wouldn't buy PPV's... I'm a hardcore fan and I barely buy PPV's... Do casuals really have no problem dropping 60 bucks on a fight card they're only casually interested in?

If I'm just a 'casual' fan I wouldn't buy PPV's... I'm a hardcore fan and I barely buy PPV's... Do casuals really have no problem dropping 60 bucks on a fight card they're only casually interested in?

$65

Chael continues to talk about and expose the “secret” even more, that makes sense...

Sonnen makes his living by saying controversial things, so that MMA dorks that can't help themselves will talk about it.

There is literally nothing to see here. This is a nothing burger w/ cheese.

Sonnen makes his living by saying controversial things, so that MMA dorks that can't help themselves will talk about it.

There is literally nothing to see here. This is a nothing burger w/ cheese.

What about onion and lettuce?

I don't know how you could summon the level of disbelief suspension to ever even momentarily forget it's an act. He fucking stutters while trying to trash talk. It's a goddamn embarassment. I've scarcely ever seen someone worse at it.

Whatever, at least he’s trying. Whether he legitimately upsets you with what he says or he annoys you bc he never quite sticks the landing, he’s standing out. Right now, the UFC is mostly comprised of guys who look the same, dress the same and generally fight the same. WME doesn’t seem to be particularly interested in building characters who haven’t come ready made i.e Conor, Brock so it’s on the fighters to stand out. Colby is a regular looking, crew cutted guy with a pressure based wrestling style and limited power. His mouth is what generates interest and while ufc 225 may have underperformed, I anticipate his next fight will generate significantly greater buzz.

I agree with this, Chael and Rogan are tight, I highly doubt he's mad at Joe.
Especially over something as trivial as Colby's trolling. Chael has absolutely no financial stakes invested in Colby. I know there from the same city, but there not exactly brothers. Pure banter. Rogan probably won't play up to as much, but Chael, Shaub and Colby are going to have a good time with this.

i mean at this rate you would have to a be a fucking moron to not realize the dude is just putting on a farce to sell ppv's

Yeah, find it bizarre some folk are uncertain if it's an act or not.

it worked for Bisping it worked for Chael and it worked for Conor the only difference Colby makes it plain fully obvious

I disagree in the sense that, they did/do the same thing as Covington is trying to do. With Sonnen you knew he was taking the piss. I think Conor is just an intense person, who has no ties with any of the gyms in the US and probably says out loud what a lot of fighters are saying behind closed doors. I think Bisping is similar to Conor in that he's intense and if someone says something about him, he'll fire back.

I think what all 3 have in common the most is they're well spoken and grab people's attention - whether they want to admit it or not - and that get's eyeballs on them.

Folk go on like 'trash talking' has only being invented recently when there's being a ton of it before in the past by various fighters/teams. Ortiz v Couture and Liddell. Cruz v TAM. Serra v Hughes. Diaz sr v GSP and probably a few more examples.

Covington needs to polish it up a bit and not try and make a derogatory comment every time he's asked a question. I even heard him say something about Chicago Pizza being horrible, which I'm guessing Chicago is known for, but it's hardly going to rile someone up from there about it.

Back