Cerrone great reversal

With 17 of them now, Cerrone has almost as many submission wins as Nate has fights. I get that Nate probably has better bjj but Cowboy is no slouch and I think he has better wrestling than Nate. I just couldn't figure out why Cowboy seemed terrified of going to the ground in that fight even while he was losing on their feet. Like I said, it's not like Nate manhandles people like Maia.

Cerrone doesn't often win by pure submission, usually he hurts people standing then submits them.

I don't follow Nate as closely but most of his seem to be set up be grappling while Cerrone typically gets a knock down then jumps on an arm or neck.

perry no fight iq

You got that ^^^ right that's why I came to my senses and switched back to the Cowboy to lasso Platinum Mike with vet moves...

It’s not like his camp new anything about the guy he was fighting lol. What in the fuck was their gameplan?

What's worse is that when Perry trained with Cerrone at his ranch, he said all Cerrone did was wrestle fuck him for 25 minute straight.

Cerrone doesn't often win by pure submission, usually he hurts people standing then submits them.

I don't follow Nate as closely but most of his seem to be set up be grappling while Cerrone typically gets a knock down then jumps on an arm or neck.

I agree with you partially. Nate has subs like the Conor submission that started with him hurting guys on the feet too though. Cerrone has became more and more partial to the standup as his career progressed. If you haven't seen them, try to find and watch Cerrone vs Henderson in their two WEC fights. Cerrone showcased some really slick bjj in the first one and it's how "Bendo" got his nickname. No one could believe he didn't tap in those fights.

I agree with you partially. Nate has subs like the Conor submission that started with him hurting guys on the feet too though. Cerrone has became more and more partial to the standup as his career progressed. If you haven't seen them, try to find and watch Cerrone vs Henderson in their two WEC fights. Cerrone showcased some really slick bjj in the first one and it's how "Bendo" got his nickname. No one could believe he didn't tap in those fights.

Nate has them too but I'd say Cerrone is the epitome of drop em and sub em. Which I love.

Bendo fights are overdue for a rewatch but they pretty much got me on the Cerrone bandwagon.

Pretty basic.. Perry should get ridiculed for that shit for a while. Wow. I knew he wasn't great but that was pitiful for a UFC fighter.

Also Cowboy gave him the TD.

He said as much in his interview. Something like oh you want to take me down? Fine with me. Looks like that strategy worked.

Also think Perry was bullshitting when he claimed he was kicking Cowboys ass sparring. No way. If that's the case Cowboy was wasn't trying too hard.

Cerrone.gif
Why would anyone think this is special?

Perry attempts to keylock Cerrone, and in the process commits both of his arms. Cerrone simply bridges towards his trapped arm, and Perry makes the foolish decision of holding on to the keylock rather than letting go.

The reversal is 95% perry's screwup, 5% cerrone doing well.

Not sure why people are being snobby about it. It's definitely a good sweep.

Not really. Mike left way too much daylight, then cerrone exploded with more force than technique.

I actually found it quite ugly and basic. It wasn't the worse but not great IMHO

I don't know what you're referring to as "daylight." Perry committed his left arm too much to the americana attempt and got his elbow trapped under Cerrone. Cerrone took advantage with a sweep. However, Perry has a strong wrestling base, so it still took a lot of good leverage and technique to finish the sweep. Cerrone makes sure that the force goes towards Perry's trapped arm preventing him from basing on his head or right hand. It's good stuff.

Why would anyone think this is special?

Perry attempts to keylock Cerrone, and in the process commits both of his arms. Cerrone simply bridges towards his trapped arm, and Perry makes the foolish decision of holding on to the keylock rather than letting go.

The reversal is 95% perry's screwup, 5% cerrone doing well.

Perry bails on the americana as soon as Cerrone starts the sweep. By the time Cerrone started the sweep, Perry's left arm was already trapped. Perry tries to post on his head/right hand, but Cerrone carries the momentum towards Perry's left shoulder. You can see Perry's left arm extended and trapped by Cerrone at the elbow as he's tumbling over. I wouldn't say it was foolish of Perry to hold on to the keylock. The mistake was digging his left arm in, and committing too far.

I almost feel like Perry wanted to make a statement by brute force submitting Cerrone with the most brute force submission, which is the Americana. He committed fully to it, and Cerrone took advantage with a beautiful sweep.

Maybe frown is too strong of a word but the go to from that position should be guard retention. I don’t believe this is what folks would call a high percentage move.
I can tell you've done some BJJ training, because that's the go-to offense to get to a safer position - bridging, making space, trapping a leg to get I to half guard, bridging the other way to get full guard...but there are tons of reversals and escapes to either get back to the feet or revers the position from side control.

If you can completely reverse the position and end up up in side co from yourself, how is that not a better move?

It might not be a high percentage move, but it's own of the most underrated black belts pulling this off in what is essentially a white belt in Perry.

There we little risk to start with.

Not sure why people are being snobby about it. It's definitely a good sweep.

I don't know what you're referring to as "daylight." Perry committed his left arm too much to the americana attempt and got his elbow trapped under Cerrone. Cerrone took advantage with a sweep. However, Perry has a strong wrestling base, so it still took a lot of good leverage and technique to finish the sweep. Cerrone makes sure that the force goes towards Perry's trapped arm preventing him from basing on his head or right hand. It's good stuff.

Perry bails on the americana as soon as Cerrone starts the sweep. By the time Cerrone started the sweep, Perry's left arm was already trapped. Perry tries to post on his head/right hand, but Cerrone carries the momentum towards Perry's left shoulder. You can see Perry's left arm extended and trapped by Cerrone at the elbow as he's tumbling over. I wouldn't say it was foolish of Perry to hold on to the keylock. The mistake was digging his left arm in, and committing too far.

I almost feel like Perry wanted to make a statement by brute force submitting Cerrone with the most brute force submission, which is the Americana. He committed fully to it, and Cerrone took advantage with a beautiful sweep.
Good analysis.

It makes you wonder what the hell Perry was thinking...going in for the double was risky...but hey, to his credit he got Cerrone down and wound up in side control...but going for a key lock? Firstly, that's a very, very low percentage sub.

Even white belts who've been training for a few months know how to defend that. It's basically only good for setting up a kimura when they escape the keylock and you adjust your grip. Even if your opponent is strong as hell, you can. Extend your arm quite easily to escape the lock.

Secondly, the only Americana sub at a high level I can recall from recent memory was Bones hitting one on Belfort. You almost never see them, because they are quite easy to escape and it requires shifting your entire body weight to one side, which leaves you wide open for a reversal.

Lastly, of all people, why did Perry think he'd trap Cerrone with one?

I doubt he was even setting something else up. Perry doesn't strike me as a compotent chain grappler, let alone someone who sets traps for black belts

It was a great reversal but he did get taken down by Mike Perry in the first place so it's not all good.

For what it's worth, Cerrone said he basically let the takedown happen when Perry got the body lock.

Essentially, he was thinking what we were all thinking; "Mike, your ground game sucks, why are you trying to take me down?... Ok, fine, we'll see how it goes for you."

Back