''CENTURY'' BOB vs HEAVY BAG

Dragonborn

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm deciding on what to buy next, a new heavy bag or the Century Bob XL? If anyone owns a Century Bob which do you think is better or what does the Century Bob offer that a heavy bag doesn't & vice versa? Heard that CB is useless, but it looks popular so what do you guys think?

I have a BOB, and I think it's brilliant - specifically for accuracy and trying out combos. He can take a beating too, although filling it with kiln-dried builder's sand is a MUST (to stop it moving around too much when you hit it). That said, if you want to work on power more than accuracy then a decent quality heavy bag is the way to go. Also, I've got the regular BOB, but from what I've seen the BOB XL doesn't have all that much more area to land kicks on. A heavy bag would be preferable if you want to focus on kicking, and want to condition your shins.

I'd go with Bob probably just because it's more fun to kick. Heavy bags are good for boxing and simulating someone coming towards you while Bob is just made to beat on.

Two different products really. One doesn't replace the other.

I have a BOB, and I think it's brilliant - specifically for accuracy and trying out combos. He can take a beating too, although filling it with kiln-dried builder's sand is a MUST (to stop it moving around too much when you hit it). That said, if you want to work on power more than accuracy then a decent quality heavy bag is the way to go. Also, I've got the regular BOB, but from what I've seen the BOB XL doesn't have all that much more area to land kicks on. A heavy bag would be preferable if you want to focus on kicking, and want to condition your shins.
Is the bottom, harder part of the Bob used for kicking too? I saw Kwonkicker on Youtube kicking the bottom part of Bob to condition his shins. At the end it looked really painful though.

Is the bottom, harder part of the Bob used for kicking too? I saw Kwonkicker on Youtube kicking the bottom part of Bob to condition his shins. At the end it looked really painful though.

I wouldn't, lol! There's a hollow plastic tube at the bottom, although still pretty solid. It's only meant for holding up the torso - you're not supposed to kick it, although I guess you could if you really wanted to. The actual base (below the tube) is solid when filled though, if you were to catch that you'd definitely risk breaking something!

I have the BOB in my garage and its a great tool for hitting combos and hook shots. It doesn't get hard at the bottom like a heavy bag. The BOB feels the same no matter how many times you hit it in the same spot. And it's just more fun to swing at when your drunk.

I would rather shadow box then use a freestanding heavy bag.

I've tried BOB, Wavemaster, Wavemaster XL, Ringside's Spring Freestanding Bag, and Pro Boxings Freestanding bag. I can honestly say that they are all are a waste of money.

Things to buy over a freestanding bag:

6' bag
Full body mirror
4' bag
wreaking ball/tear drop bag
double end bag
speed bag
double double end bag
proper mats

Bumping this thread because I'm thinking of getting a BOB. The couple of posts about it here are inconclusive.
Can you kick this thing with full power and not have it fall over or what?
I live in an apartment, just want something to practice combos on and such, at 4 bills it's an investment though and I don't want to waste my money, any other opinions?

I say if your in an apartment with no way to hang a bag....then go with BOB. Before I bought a house....I had an apartment with a wavemaster and it worked well for workouts and combos. As far as kicking it over?? I never really tried. Just mainly worked on form.

I say if your in an apartment with no way to hang a bag....then go with BOB. Before I bought a house....I had an apartment with a wavemaster and it worked well for workouts and combos. As far as kicking it over?? I never really tried. Just mainly worked on form.

Thanks.
I take it that BOB is too soft to help out with shin conditioning eh?

Thanks.
I take it that BOB is too soft to help out with shin conditioning eh?

i can not speak for the current model, however, the old Bob and Wavemaster would condition your shins. Basically, if you kicked with good power, you would compress the padding and hit the solid plastic pole.

The only freestanding bag that would not have this was Ringside's, however, that bag is horrible...it offers no real resistance and kicking is difficult, it was basically a giant slow, cobra reflex bag. The cobra reflex bag is the only freetsanding bag work it weight, however, it is only for punching, elbows, defense.

You could kick the plastic that holds the bag for shin conditioning like what Kwonkicker does

Hey guys, probably late to the thread, sorry. I've been looking for a good free standing punching bag for a while now... Need something to grapple with as well as practice kicks. Is the BOB punching bag any good for MMA at all?

Cheers

I was torn between which one I should go with. Ended up going with bob and im happy with it. It's much better than the rest of the free standing punch bags I've used thats for sure.

Last edited:
I actually enjoy training with the Century Bob since I can work more on my inside boxing.

Back