Centrists - what pushed you from the far-left/far-right?

Jack, you're wrong. You can disagree with how ancaps define liberty and freedom, how applicable their ideology is, or their solutions to proposed problems - but their views are undoubtedly consistent with individualism.

Capitalism and a strong state are tied closely together. One of the main functions of the state is the creation and maintenance of private property.

And, separately, individualism is more of a way of looking at policy than an ideology that generates a set of policies.

My ma was a hippie and I grew up in a commune, we were often out protesting Vietnam.

But I just didn't stay with a lot of her ideology. Last time we spoke, we had a brief argument about the second Amendment, clearly on different sides of the issue.

I started left, uncomfortable with lefty-left, and came of age during the Reagan years. That got me to start detesting the righty-right.

Both extremes are fucked.

Both extremes loudly voice how patriotic they are and how committed to everyone's rights they are.... but then each has a list of exceptions.

Center right for me.

I think centrists are the only intellectually honest people remaining.

I can't stand people on The FAR CENTER. If you're "centrist" on every issue you are just a fence riding wimp, or you simply don't care, or you somehow think you're above the fray.

Although I would generally consider myself a centrist in many countries as I'd fall between both the major parties on a lot of issues. In the UK for instance.
Universal healthcare would have me to the left of the Democrats in the US.

This is another fair point.

I can think of three distinct meanings of "centrist" here:

1. People who hold inconsistent views and support a mix of far-left and far-right policies.
2. What you're referring to, and what I call "bothsidesists." People who think that the truth is necessarily near the halfway point of any popular controversy or think that it's necessarily wrong to consistently agree with one "side" over another regardless of the content of individual arguments.
3. Empirically minded pragmatists, who don't expect huge change and think of the way forward as hard-fought, small changes rather than a remaking of society.

I'm a centrist in that third sense. I support capitalism, not because I think any other system is evil, but because it's what's been shown to best to improve the lives of people, though it has significant holes that necessitate things like regulations, a safety net, and policy directed at increasing opportunity for the non-rich. I think single-payer would be a good system to start from scratch with, but I'm very pessimistic about it working politically in America, and I think the effort to get it has been an obstacle to making smaller reforms (which the ACA finally did). Etc.

Last edited:
I don't want to be lumped in with the racial identity -- ultra religious -- anti science whackjobs on the right; I just want to use them in order to gain votes on reducing taxation on income and gains.

the Religious Right

it's the main reason I'm actually a Libertarian and not a Republican. No need to tell others how to live their lives IMO

that's so smart

a9098d1c63301512e658be3f833cb007c656bc7db4cd941cff0d8a383a7576c9.jpg

s9kyehi689ny.jpg

1451925865299.png

d68.jpg

sooo... some lame memes making fun of a particular viewpoint is somehow a valid argument against centrists? So edgy bro.

I grew up pretty left but I always had strong libertarian beliefs.

What pushed me father and farther from the left was the people on the left,(it's not a good look), radical feminism, identity politics, and pretty much everything Jordan Peterson talks about.

"Trump's America", won't vote for Trump. Why exactly are you bothering posting?
I assume you'll be surprised to find out that most CNN employees won't vote for Trump either
yHXTYK7.png

Back