CBS's doomsday drama Salvation

G

Guestx

I've aired my grievances against network TV in the past around here, but this looks like it might be interesting.

The premise is not original--at all--but it could still be fun:

When it is discovered that an enormous asteroid is just six months away from colliding with Earth, MIT grad student Liam Cole and tech billionaire Darius Tanz team up to save humanity from this impending apocalypse -- without ever alerting the public. As part of the project, Darius recruits an aspiring sci-fi writer, Jillian, to work on a theoretical approach to saving humanity. While they try to save the world their way, the government has its own approach, with Deputy Secretary of Defense Harris Edwards spearheading the top-secret plan to deflect the asteroid.

Here's my favorite review snippet from RT:

I realize that "OK" is not exactly a ringing endorsement, but -- c'mon! -- this is a summer series that's supposed to be a diversion. If you're looking for something smart, try PBS, not CBS.

Although this one sounds a little more promising:

Check out the new doomsday sci-fi summer drama starting on Wednesday. It's loads of fun. Loads! Space stuff, car chases, conspiracy plots, tense Pentagon meetings and hanky-panky.

Apparently the show premiered in July. Anyone here checked it out? And if so, is it any good?

Don't get your hopes up. It's CBS. If the show doesn't get good ratings it will be canceled without a proper ending. If it does well then it will go on for 19 seasons and become a soap opera.

Don't get your hopes up. It's CBS. If the show doesn't get good ratings it will be canceled without a proper ending. If it does well then it will go on for 19 seasons and become a soap opera.

Just judging by the concept, it sounds like a show that should only get one season, maybe two at the most.

I mean, an asteroid is headed toward earth. How long can they drag that out for?

Just judging by the concept, it sounds like a show that should only get one season, maybe two at the most.

I mean, an asteroid is headed toward earth. How long can they drag that out for?

Either they drag it out in real-time...each season is 1 day, or the asteroid hits and these main characters begin an adventure in a post apolytic era. It comes down to ratings.

These shows are written week to week. Shows like Breaking Bad or Mr Robot are written and completed before they air and don't have much filler. Shows on free tv like Lost, Flash, and Lucifer are soap operas. They have no definitive endings and end when the viewers have had enough.

Either they drag it out in real-time...each season is 1 day, or the asteroid hits and these main characters begin an adventure in a post apolytic era. It comes down to ratings.

These shows are written week to week. Shows like Breaking Bad or Mr Robot are written and completed before they air and don't have much filler. Shows on free tv like Lost, Flash, and Lucifer are soap operas. They have no definitive endings and end when the viewers have had enough.

I get what you're saying, but even cable shows are not written in their entirety from the beginning. And while there may be week-to-week tweaks in the script, network shows at least have the current season planned out (even if they don't have future seasons mapped). The writers have said as much.

@Dragonlordxxxxx, well, I just watched the first two episodes.

It's okay, but nothing more than that. The writing could certainly be better and it very much FEELS like a network show.

I'm in a spot where I've watched most of the current shows that I'm interested in watching, so I'm willing to make some allowances just to have something new to watch. But if you've already got a full docket of television (as you seem to always do), then this one's probably not worth the look.

I may or may not stick with this one. Not sure yet. But just based on the first two episodes I'm feeling like this is about a 6 or maybe 6.5.

@Bullitt68, you're ever the defender of network television. Are you familiar with this one?

Never heard of it. I'm currently operating with just a computer, so I don't have TV and don't stay up to speed with premieres and shit. But, from reading up on it, it sounds like one I'd pass on. I love disaster movies, but that's because the impending doom is right there and feels so intense and immediate and that works with a finite 90-150 minutes. Stretching out an incoming asteroid for a TV show sounds like a terrible idea that has very little chance of succeeding.

As always, I'm open to being proven wrong and finding a new awesome show, but I'd be surprised if this one works.

If it's any good I'll watch it in a few years when the whole series is done. On Netflix.

Never heard of it. I'm currently operating with just a computer, so I don't have TV and don't stay up to speed with premieres and shit. But, from reading up on it, it sounds like one I'd pass on. I love disaster movies, but that's because the impending doom is right there and feels so intense and immediate and that works with a finite 90-150 minutes. Stretching out an incoming asteroid for a TV show sounds like a terrible idea that has very little chance of succeeding.

As always, I'm open to being proven wrong and finding a new awesome show, but I'd be surprised if this one works.

I'll be damned if I didn't end up blowing through four episodes of that shit last night.

I watched the first two and then gave my previously posted thoughts to DLX. Then chilled for a bit. And then was like fuck it, let me watch the next one. And then the next one.

So I guess I'm kind of into it.

Even though the show isn't quite A-level television, it's written just cleverly enough that I feel the need to know what happens next. It's also a show that gets better as it goes, with eps 3 and 4 being an improvement over 1 and 2.

After watching a bit more of it, I'd give the show a solid 7.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this show. It's B level, but more B+
I'll be damned if I didn't end up blowing through four episodes of that shit last night.

I watched the first two and then gave my previously posted thoughts to DLX. Then chilled for a bit. And then was like fuck it, let me watch the next one. And then the next one.

So I guess I'm kind of into it.

Even though the show isn't quite A-level television, it's written just cleverly enough that I feel the need to know what happens next. It's also a show that gets better as it goes, with eps 3 and 4 being an improvement over 1 and 2.

After watching a bit more of it, I'd give the show a solid 7.
Yeah, this is def a 7 level, but a solid 7. There are so many cartoon characters it feels like a 90's series, but with less predictability. It does suffer the usual forced drama amongst its characters to create conflict, but It's still great cheesy fun with (as you said) clever enough writing to keep you coming back for more. I like the 13 episode arc each season has; it doesn't wear out its welcome.

I just finished season 2 , great cliffhanger!

Love this chick too (season 2)
698096_v9_ba.jpg

MV5BYjk1ODNkZTktOWJkMy00ZTcwLTgxYmUtNGUwYWM3MzM4ZWUxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQ0NzU3Mjc@._V1_.jpg

Back