@Green
Reaction score
I noticed that during the Lawler vs Dos Anjos fight that
RDA had the worst looking cauliflower ear I ever seen
so what i'm trying to figure out is do all fighters develop
it or some are lucky enough not to develop it and go there
whole careers with ears intact.

giphy.gif

Depends if they use protection while training. I have a friend who refuses to wear one during training because he actually wants them. For the most part though they can be avoided by wearing this
615MlnB6y1L._SL1001_.jpg

Genetics and the way you fight/train. Wrestly bjj players and wrestlers are more likely to get them. Some people can seemingly grapple forever and never get them, others within a few months.

Meh it depends. Some people get it after a few weeks of training. Other people can train for years and not get it.

Well do all fighters have them?

You kind of answered your own question here

Don't google James Thompson Ear Explodes

Depends if they use protection while training. I have a friend who refuses to wear one during training because he actually wants them. For the most part though they can be avoided by wearing this
615MlnB6y1L._SL1001_.jpg
Your friend is a retard.

Yeah just like basically everyone is saying some people get them others don't. of course using head gear will stop it. im only a white belt and Ive got it decently bad on one ear but there's purple and brown belts at my gym that don't use headgear but just never developed any cauliflower

If somebody is looking for a fight with you and has a cauliflower ear, apologize nicely, shake his hand, buy him a drink.

Lifetip

Your friend is a retard.

His name is Shaun "The Bully" Asher. Pretty sure he has a fighter profile on Sherdog......I can connect you if you'd like, so you can call him a retard to his face but I doubt you could to his face.
1432284619Asher.jpg

some guys told me it depends on the type of your ears. you can have hard ears or soft ears. those hard ears are much less likely to turn into cauliflower than those soft ears... or vice versa? and where the hell was I?
211391.jpg

From what I have seen in BJJ is that it's a combination of genetics and your grappling style. Some guys are grinders, especially if they come from a wrestling back ground. I know many black belts with no sign of cauli and come that are real bad. The ones that are bad started to show signs early in their BJJ careers. I teach at my academy and I'm a brown belt - no cauli. I wear ear guards if my ear gets tweaked a little but roll without them most days. I used to wear the ear guards as a white belt as wifey warned me that cauli was a deal breaker - hahah. I've seen white belts develop cauli issues real fast. RDA has been training forever and I'm sure did not wear ear protection ever.

Depends on how you train. And the Gracies don´t wear no ear protection.
maxresdefault.jpg

some guys told me it depends on the type of your ears. you can have hard ears or soft ears. those hard ears are much less likely to turn into cauliflower than those soft ears... or vice versa? and where the hell was I?
View attachment 315819

Hard ears are more likely to turn into cauliflower. And it's not caused only by grappling, also strikes of all types.

If you actually want cauliflower ears you are seriously retarded (not directed at quote). It looks like shit obviously, and no women will ever want to look at you unless they are fighters themselves or you have an absolutely perfect personality or something.

Back