Catch Wrestling United.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took it from the Rough & Tumble book by Erik Paulson, who cited in the John Pesek chapter "Catch Wrestling" by Mark Hewit, Pages 145, 148, 153 and 173.

Also the question was who the greatest Catch wrestler was, and while Catch took a little from Pehlwani they remained two different styles. Gama beat Stanislaus Zybyszko twice: once in 1910 by from what sounds like 2 and a half hours of Lay'n'Pray to get the decision, and they didn't fight again until 1928 where both were way past their prime. Stanislaus would have been 49 (and had lost rather easily to Joe Stecher a few years earlier, as mentioned) and Gama would have been 46. One source said Gama pinned Zybyszko in 30 seconds, another said Gama won by a flying fall, similar to an Ippon from a throw in Judo. (Certain contests had rules where you could win by flying fall and ones you could only win by a pin or submission.)

Also in terms of size difference, Gama although 5'9" was still 230lbs. At least 40-45lbs heavier then Pesek.

And while you say Pesek did have a legit loss (though by injury), Gama wasn't without his share of draws and matches that went to decision. From the accounts I can gather, every match Pesek wrestled, he finished.

There's an argument for Gama being the greatest overall wrestler with 5000+ wins over a 50 year career, but we were talking about Catch Wrestlers.

I think Gama was equally important for his strength and conditioning regimen and probably helped introduce Indian Club Swinging to the West, and we all know the benefit of Hindu Squats and Push ups, as well as neck bridges.

Last edited:
I took it from the Rough & Tumble book by Erik Paulson, who cited in the John Pesek chapter "Catch Wrestling" by Mark Hewit, Pages 145, 148, 153 and 173.

Also the question was who the greatest Catch wrestler was, and while Catch took a little from Pehlwani they remained two different styles. Gama beat Stanislaus Zybyszko twice: once in 1910 by from what sounds like 2 and a half hours of Lay'n'Pray to get the decision, and they didn't fight again until 1928 where both were way past their prime. Stanislaus would have been 49 (and had lost rather easily to Joe Stecher a few years earlier, as mentioned) and Gama would have been 46. One source said Gama pinned Zybyszko in 30 seconds, another said Gama won by a flying fall, similar to an Ippon from a throw in Judo. (Certain contests had rules where you could win by flying fall and ones you could only win by a pin or submission.)

Also in terms of size difference, Gama although 5'9" was still 230lbs. At least 40-45lbs heavier then Pesek.

And while you say Pesek did have a legit loss (though by injury), Gama wasn't without his share of draws and matches that went to decision. From the accounts I can gather, every match Pesek wrestled, he finished.

There's an argument for Gama being the greatest overall wrestler with 5000+ wins over a 50 year career, but we were talking about Catch Wrestlers.

I think Gama was equally important for his strength and conditioning regimen and probably helped introduce Indian Club Swinging to the West, and we all know the benefit of Hindu Squats and Push ups, as well as neck bridges.

If that's your opinion so be it.

"It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, a wins a win." - Vin Diesel

lmao

Gama beat Stanislaus Zybyszko twice: once in 1910 by from what sounds like 2 and a half hours of Lay'n'Pray.

could you fucking imagine being in that fight? having a guy on top of you for that long? fuck, after an hour I'd just tap to get a drink and some food.

It's one of the reasons why the Olympics made time limits. A Greco-Roman match at an Olympics went on for 8 hours or something.

I always thought Ken's grappling was overrated. That leg lock he dropped down for against Royce in their first fight was probably the worst technique I've ever seen out of anyone. Frank on the other hand is a stud.

overated? ken has been in there with great grapplers, funaki/suzuki, tooled funaki, the suzuki fights were worked, ken had him in arm bar and let go.

i also read on UG, that ken arm-barred guy mezger off his back twice, it was video'd apparently and guy said he didn't want to include it in the documentary he was making.

I always thought Ken's grappling was overrated. That leg lock he dropped down for against Royce in their first fight was probably the worst technique I've ever seen out of anyone. Frank on the other hand is a stud.

well seeing as ken thought royce was a karate guy he didn't feel any threat on the ground, big mistake ken

overated? ken has been in there with great grapplers, funaki/suzuki, tooled funaki, the suzuki fights were worked, ken had him in arm bar and let go.

i also read on UG, that ken arm-barred guy mezger off his back twice, it was video'd apparently and guy said he didn't want to include it in the documentary he was making.

His fights with Funaki are considered works, or thrown matches from Funaki. Even Ken doesn't believe he won those damn things.

Ugh, Funaki just didn't have the breaks that Saku did in the Ring. He was always so close but it all somehow went pear-shaped on him.

His fights with Funaki are considered works, or thrown matches from Funaki. Even Ken doesn't believe he won those damn things.

ken/funaki 2 was considered a work, still doesn't take away there insane grappling.

How many people here compete or have student who compete in grappling and/or mma under the 'cacc' banner??

Dynamite!!! 2010 will have Shinya Aoki vs Gilbert Melendez... And...

Satoru Kitaoka vs Tatsuyak Kawajiri...

Kitaoka is on prime time TV again! Get hype.

How many people here compete or have student who compete in grappling and/or mma under the 'cacc' banner??

Nobody??

We do. We have 4 pro. mma fighters and 6-7 amateurs fighters and about 3 dude who do grappling comp.

We are the only fight club in Quebec who advertize his grappling base as cacc/submission wrestling. There is one or two team with judo base and all the rest came from butt flopping base.

There isnt a lot of pure CACC now. It's hard to even claim that as everybody cross trains or has cross trained in the past. Hasnt Kris trained in other styles as well?

I think plenty of people would love to train in CACC but the list of gyms is pretty small. I personally wouldnt feel comfortable saying my style is CACC if all I learned about it was from a DVD.

There isnt a lot of pure CACC now. It's hard to even claim that as everybody cross trains or has cross trained in the past. Hasnt Kris trained in other styles as well?

I think plenty of people would love to train in CACC but the list of gyms is pretty small. I personally wouldnt feel comfortable saying my style is CACC if all I learned about it was from a DVD.

Sure no more 'pure' style, that's why i like to say 'cacc oriented'. None of our guy ever did one bjj class or gi class, so i'm pretty comfortable saying our grappling style is cacc/sub wrestling.

And we had Kris as grappling coach for 3 years, we didnt learn from dvd, that help a little bit too.

And we had Kris as grappling coach for 3 years, we didnt learn from dvd, that help a little bit too.

I didnt mean to imply that for you. I was thinking more about myself and other people that have no local access to CACC when I said that.

Nobody??

We do. We have 4 pro. mma fighters and 6-7 amateurs fighters and about 3 dude who do grappling comp.

We are the only fight club in Quebec who advertize his grappling base as cacc/submission wrestling. There is one or two team with judo base and all the rest came from butt flopping base.

That's the gym close to Montreal right? I was wondering about the quality of it. I'm in Gatineau now and started doing CSW at FIT MMA. The instructor focuses alot on control and leg locks, but you still feel the bjj influences with triangles and guard stuff. I think there's like 4-5 people fighting out of the gym, and I'm pretty sure it used to be a sambo place run by some old russian dude, who may or may not have trained him.

That's the gym close to Montreal right? I was wondering about the quality of it. I'm in Gatineau now and started doing CSW at FIT MMA. The instructor focuses alot on control and leg locks, but you still feel the bjj influences with triangles and guard stuff. I think there's like 4-5 people fighting out of the gym, and I'm pretty sure it used to be a sambo place run by some old russian dude, who may or may not have trained him.

I'm planning on training more no-gi and i've heard great things about that place...How is it there and what's the price per month for just CSW?

I'm planning on training more no-gi and i've heard great things about that place...How is it there and what's the price per month for just CSW?

It's a little expensive, 108 with taxes per month and you have 3 sessions of technique a week, plus and hour of rolling after class monday and wednesday. An extra 25 bucks or whatever gets you full access to the Muay Thai and Boxing, wich can fill up your whole week. The coach is great and I haven't encountered any assholes yet. So far so good.

Training in Gi can actually be helpful... When you take a Gi off everything feels more simplistic. I use what works. Right now, I'm transitioning around to further my knowledge and improve my game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back