Catch Wrestling United II

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is CACC officially receiving a revival? Just wondering since The Snake Pit is opening up again (according to the last page in this thread).

It depends what you mean by official, but there are those that are working to revive it sure. Roy Wood officially took over Riley's Gym and over the years more of a focus was made on Olympic style Freestyle wrestling and less on Lancashire Catch. Due to interest and demand Roy Wood is coaching Catch again to those with a genuine interest who are on a similar wavelength.

Billy Robinson continues to do seminars and camps in the USA as well as teaches in Arkansas, and the ISWA is trying to get some regional tournaments going to gauge interest and get competitive Catch matches with submissions and pins present.

What happened to wrestling in Germany? They used to get some serious medals in the Olympics pre WWII.

Well, WWII happened, so people were pretty much dead or busy. And Germany got divided... I'd love to research on German CACC though!

Well, WWII happened, so people were pretty much dead or busy. And Germany got divided... I'd love to research on German CACC though!

Hahaha I know but still. They really seemed to fade from the scene.

Would love to know about CaCC in Germany. Still get mad that CACC almost died.

Hey guys, thought I'd share some education stuff to help out here...

Here's the full 40 minute documentary I posted to YouTube about Billy and our most recent trip to the UK

The Scientific Wrestling Revolution - Billy Robinson's Return to England by Jake Shannon - YouTube

Also, I've posted the hour long interview I did with Karl back from 2005 on YouTube too:

ScientificWrestling.com - 'My Cigar with Karl' full-length interview with Karl Gotch - YouTube

Also, here is a bunch of free stuff that's been up over at ScientificWrestling.com for years but you may not have seen it:

Scientific Wrestlings Free Resources

Also, Sam Kressin has written one of the best articles I've seen on CACC here:

How is Catch Wrestling Different from Other Styles of Grappling? | Embodied Strength

Isn't all this talk of a revival seem weird? KJ raises a good point. I mean there have been A LOT of us, Billy Wick's guys, Josh Barnett, Erik Paulson, Neil Melanson, Gene Lebell, etc. etc. independently doing great in tournaments, MMA, and holding even holding CACC tournaments, lol. I am absolutely thrilled Roy and Andrea are pitching in to help now too!!!

Q: Are these "revival" people just neophytes or just somehow completely unaware of what all those listed above have done to legitimize the sport in the last 10 years?? I am glad more and more people are interested, heck that's been the point of a lot my own work over the years, but it sounds like this interest in CACC just came out of nowhere when in fact there have been a LOT of people working together, AND INDEPENDENTLY, to make it so. :)

(Additional kudos to KJ for the "United" spirit of this thread, great stuff!!!!)

Last edited:
Q: Are these "revival" people just neophytes or just somehow completely unaware of what all those listed above have done to legitimize the sport in the last 10 years?? I am glad more and more people are interested, heck that's been the point of a lot my own work over the years, but it sounds like this interest in CACC just came out of nowhere when in fact there have been a LOT of people working together, AND INDEPENDENTLY, to make it so. :)

(Additional kudos to KJ for the "United" spirit of this thread, great stuff!!!!)

Didn't The Snake Pit even describe its reopening as revival? That's definitely not wrong...Also, maybe it's just that the hard work many people put in it finally pays off. I kinda "feel" a bigger respect for and interest in CACC around the interwebz and my own grappling-community, and hope this will even intensify!

Macguire looked like he had trained in catch wrestling,any body know?Rogan kept calling it jujitsu or grappling.

Macguire looked like he had trained in catch wrestling,any body know?Rogan kept calling it jujitsu or grappling.

A pink belt in Gypsy Jiu Jitsu. Gypsies here are fairly similar to traditional Carnies there so ...

Apparently he has not official belt in BJJ and I doubt he trains in the Gi. I doubt he's trained in Catch, but just general Submission Grappling a bit like Jeremy Horn?

PS: I have a deep prejudice against gypsies and pikeys. Various things stolen by them over the years ranging fro garden equipment, vehicles and even ram raiding my father's shop several times in the last 20 years. Fuck pikeys.

A pink belt in Gypsy Jiu Jitsu. Gypsies here are fairly similar to traditional Carnies there so ...

Apparently he has not official belt in BJJ and I doubt he trains in the Gi. I doubt he's trained in Catch, but just general Submission Grappling a bit like Jeremy Horn?

PS: I have a deep prejudice against gypsies and pikeys. Various things stolen by them over the years ranging fro garden equipment, vehicles and even ram raiding my father's shop several times in the last 20 years. Fuck pikeys.

Do Gypsies still rove around in bands?

Fuck man, that's a great price for any gym too. Congrats on re-opening.. I'm hoping to make the trek soon!

Looks like we are going Need a part 3 Catch thread.

I really wish Scientific wrestling would release some new stuff while im thinking of it.

I've had a look a few times and can't see anything on there. I'd have thought it'd be one of the first things to click on at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back