Catch Wrestling United II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like what you're doing is straightening the leg in deep half guard to sweep the person on top. But if you figure four your legs and lock their leg and then extend outward (kind of like a leg scissoring motion), you can get a tap if done properly.

Going for the tap is the way we were taught it because as my instructor said:
"If you go for the tap but DON'T get it it means the guy probably rolled to relieve pressure and basically swept himself onto his back."

Also, with my Bday coming up I will end up with some extra cash and am wondering is there a good book I can buy about CACC and it's techniques?

Also, with my Bday coming up I will end up with some extra cash and am wondering is there a good book I can buy about CACC and it's techniques?

There is not a whole lot of books on Catch wrestling that I found besides the catch wrestling encyclopedias and all the books in there you can dowload legaly for free from google books or archive.org But there is a wealth of good dvds out there.

Does any one besides Erik Paulson teach all 10 catch lockflows? EriK said there are about 150 different submissions involved in those 10 lock flows,That is a lot to keep of with,it must take several years to become proficient in all of these.Love this forum,I am just a fan not a competitor.

I think the ISWA Catch Wrestling program by Kris Iatskevich requires eventual knowledge of 10 lockflows, but I couldn't tell you if they were the same lockflows as the ones in Yori Nakamura and Satoru Sayama's Shooto curriculum.

Greg Nelson has also been a student / fellow coach of Paulson and Nakamura so I'd imagine he might know. He's in Minnesota.

I think Brandon Kiser has training in Shooto under Paulson and is a certain level CSW coach along with Brian Yamasaki. They're based in Utah.

Not really, as katas aren't practiced on opponents. They're a succession of submissions in a logical progression, either as a re-counter to a counter or an option to go to if the opponent is defending really hard but might be open to something else.

This is an example of a lockflow / submission chain:

4 Catch Wrestling Moves - YouTube

CACC Lockflow part 1 - YouTube

Umm, dude, the coil lock in Catch was around a long time before BJJ even existed to copy it and rename it. The cross face is definitely catch.

Im not denying the roots of that move (may or may not be catch, i didnt know until you said so), but to claim that kid is CACC might be a bit if a stretch, especially without knowing what he trains specifically ,but especially after seeing him perform a triangle choke one would logically estimate that he trains BJJ (because BJJ is more accessable, hard to imagine this kid trainimg CACC at some elite level and obscure school).

Unless of course the triangle is also Catch....

Im not denying the roots of that move (may or may not be catch, i didnt know until you said so), but to claim that kid is CACC might be a bit if a stretch, especially without knowing what he trains specifically ,but especially after seeing him perform a triangle choke one would logically estimate that he trains BJJ (because BJJ is more accessable, hard to imagine this kid trainimg CACC at some elite level and obscure school).

They train out of Randy Couture's gym in Vegas. They have been seen in Tapout commercials. This was more a of a fun post, thanks for of course jumping right in to debate the merits of these young kids training as it pertains to the feud in your head between CACC and BJJ:wink:

It would be silly to think that any grappling style today isn't influenced by BJJ in some way, but if these kids are hitting legit CACC moves, then let us have our fun, ya dig?:eek:

Last edited:

ask billy robinson he taught maeda the triangle

Well, in Catch the triangle is taught from the mount, high mount, side and the back if need be. But you still have to keep one shoulder off the mat.

They train out of Randy Couture's gym in Vegas. They have been seen in Tapout commercials. This was more a of a fun post, thanks for of course jumping right in to debate the merits of these young kids training as it pertains to the feud in your head between CACC and BJJ:wink:

It would be silly to think that any grappling style today isn't influenced by BJJ in some way, but if these kids are hitting legit CACC moves, then let us have our fun, ya dig?:eek:

There's no feud, I love both styles and wish I could train CACC legitamitely myself on top of BJJ... but having convos with few people I know, they just want to label everything CACC for obscurity's sake and just to be "different." So I just said what it looked like to me (and had a hard time believing that these youngsters train Catch when I can't even find a place to learn it myself lol).

The bald guy in that video is Freddie George, he co-owns CSW with Erik Paulson in Fullerton, California. The Tapout kids have spent a fair amount of time there so they're learning Paulson's mix of Catch and BJJ, and his MMA system over all.

Umm, dude, the coil lock in Catch was around a long time before BJJ even existed to copy it and rename it. The cross face is definitely catch.

In all fairness is there any evidence that it was learned from a catch practitioner rather than judo? Because otherwise it's kind of unfair to say that it was copied from catch.

The cross face is a basic grappling tactic that by no means belongs to any grappling style. That's like saying an overhook is catch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back