Catch Wrestling United II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team Quest lol, not the movie Vision Quest!

Sonnen has said his first BJJ teacher was Mark Schultz. Olympic Gold Medalist and 2x World Champion in Freestyle, and also black belt in BJJ under I think Pedro Sauer after spending some time initially with Rickson Gracie.

KJ, I usually agree with you but i think saying Chael is a Catch guy is reaching.

Freestyle is but a distant relative to Catch and it's more appropriate to say that he is BJJ guy with influence from Freestyle.

KJ, I usually agree with you but i think saying Chael is a Catch guy is reaching.

Freestyle is but a distant relative to Catch and it's more appropriate to say that he is BJJ guy with influence from Freestyle.

Are you saying this with a straight face? What about Lindland, Randy, Henderson, Tanner? All BJJ guys?

How long has Scherner been teaching out of Portland? I do feel in philosophy they are much more like CACC guys, wrestlers who added finishes to there holds.

I didn't say Sonnen was a Catch guy Title Fight Did. He's agression and approach seems more catch like, but he's a Wrestle-Jitsu guy - but one that won't need to pull guard any time soon.

Team Quest has a combat wrestling program which is closer to catch than BJJ. Just sayin'

Lol in my post earlier I didn't imply that I believed Chael to be a CACC wrestler, I just thought there was a thread once that had a few pictures of Chael being trained by Neil Melanson with Billy Robinson showing him some techniques. I could be wrong though.

Yeah, but he's spent longer with BJJ guys just by virtue of there being more of them around and the general presumption is you must learn BJJ as a part of MMA.

fine. everyone anywhere who trains subs is a bjj guy doing bjj.

/sarcasm.

Has anyone already trained with Roy Wood..? The CACC-revival in the UK sounds to good to actually become true and he might be someone, that I can invite to my gym maybe...

If you're interested in possible seminars with Roy Wood, get on the facebook page I linked. There's a contact email there.

Yeah, I'm already there. Just wanted to get some direct info from you guys ;)

Guys.... CACC is having a budding revival. More so in Canada and the UK than in the states. In Canada and the UK people can train straight up CACC with CACC coaches. In the U.S. you have legitimate CACC coaches, far and few between. You have a lot of guys that are highly talented martial artist who have been exposed to CACC and love it, and you have some that are "influenced" by CACC. Naturally I foresee Catch Wrestlers popping up all over like dandelions. This can't be helped or stopped. Cael Sonnen for example is a Level1 Collegiate champion wrestler. Who has trained in striking and has been exposed to CACC and other systems as well. To say he is a Catch Wrestler is pushing it. Does taking a 6 hour seminar and getting a piece of paper make you a Catch Wrestler? I don't think so. Does training with a CACC legend for years or having your knowledge and philosophy of CACC approved by a legitimate CACC coach make you a Catch Wrestler? Probably. Some of us are trying hard to give some direction to this whole thing, but our efforts are in their infancy as well. It has long been argued that there are no venues for real CACC. We are trying to change that. An example is the upcoming Southeastern Regional CACC championship I am holding in Summerville SC. I know the second is planned in PA, Kris is putting one together in Quebec and so on. CACC rules. Champions to compete next year in NY state. We are trying to create opportunities for CACC practitioners and Coaches to both train and compete, and have a venue in which students and other systems that are interested to be exposed to CACC. And just like every other martial art there will be bickering and infighting but we have to start somewhere. The ISWA is offering memberships in the way of purchasing an ISWA passport. It lets you track your competitions, seminars, training etc and counts towards your attaining levels of proficiency in CACC under the guidelines of the ISWA and Coach Kris Iatskevich. Kris trained for 5 years with Edouard Carpentier, he has trained with Billy Robinson and most recently with Roy Wood and Tommy Heyes. He has produced numbers of catch wrestlers who have competed and presently compete and are very successful on the MMA circuit and the submission grappling circuit as well. And even better, he has competed and still competes himself. The program is not train for six hours and get certified. It takes time and experience. Both competing and training with legitimate coaches. Are we the end all? no. Will we grow and change as CACC grows? probably. It is like trying to land a big fish, lol. We have both hands on the rod and are working hard. We welcome everyone's interest and support. We would love to have you join us.
Welcome to Catch Wrestling Canada - Home of Canada's Premiere Catch Wrestling Clubs
Tournament info- Free website built by Boyd5755 using Blank Website

I'm starting to think more and more that even though my MMA instructor is a BJJ student and is learning from a guy that got his BB from Carlos Gracie JR but the way he teaches seems more aggressive than what I had in my brief stint in the BJJ class.

Everything is more aggressive, from the bottom it is constantly about "go for the kimura, now roll for a leg, now go for a side choke" almost to the point my brain can't keep up.

Hell, on days like yesterday where we will get a chance for some free rolling and sparring we drill our guard subs for like 20 minutes going from an armbar, to omaplata, to triangle, back to an armbar over and over and over.

Is it something good to keep in the bag of tricks so to speak? We learned it as a way to basically flip spots in the half guard from being in bottom to being on top.

Sounds like what you're doing is straightening the leg in deep half guard to sweep the person on top. But if you figure four your legs and lock their leg and then extend outward (kind of like a leg scissoring motion), you can get a tap if done properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back