Casein before bed?

You shouldn't really be eating or drinking anything other than water within 2 hours of going to sleep, but yes having casein in your system to digest overnight is a good thing and it helps.

You shouldn't really be eating or drinking anything other than water within 2 hours of going to sleep, but yes having casein in your system to digest overnight is a good thing and it helps.

I eat a huge meal an hour or two before bed, and I'm doing fine.

Tell me, why do you think I shouldn't be doing that?

I eat a huge meal an hour or two before bed, and I'm doing fine.

Tell me, why do you think I shouldn't be doing that?

It's not necessarily that you shouldn't, but without getting into body types, metabolism, activity levels, your individual diet, etc a safe rule of thumb is to make sure your last meal is more than 2 hours before bed.

There's no reason not to eat before bed providing your diet is on point and you exercise regularly, other than you may not sleep as soundly and you may get stomach pains or acid reflux. More often than not people slam a casein shake right before bed, or load up on carbs, drink a big glass of milk, or whatever else which in most circumstances isn't the right way to go about it.

It's not necessarily that you shouldn't, but without getting into body types, metabolism, activity levels, your individual diet, etc a safe rule of thumb is to make sure your last meal is more than 2 hours before bed.

There's no reason not to eat before bed providing your diet is on point and you exercise regularly, other than you may not sleep as soundly and you may get stomach pains or acid reflux. More often than not people slam a casein shake right before bed, or load up on carbs, drink a big glass of milk, or whatever else which in most circumstances isn't the right way to go about it.

Fair enough. The notion that eating right before bed will lead to weight gain is a common old wive's tale, and I just wanted to make sure that misinformation was not being perpetuated.

Fair enough. The notion that eating right before bed will lead to weight gain is a common old wive's tale, and I just wanted to make sure that misinformation was not being perpetuated.

It's one of those things t that makes sense when you don't investigate any further than the surface. More often than not what people are eating before bed is purely excess and puts them way over their caloric balance for the day. That, and the fact that in the West we eat a shit ton of sugar and processed grains, is a surefire way to get that food to be stored in fat cells.

Lol, I meant to just give him a short answer and at this point he may as well have gotten the long answer.

Casein is overrated. Your body is recovering and recuperating during sleep and you aren't going to lose any muscle while sleeping if you go to bed on an empty stomach, but supplement companies try to convince people that their muscles are starving during sleep and they must take casein before bed to prevent muscle from being lost. It's just a marketing tactic to get you to buy their casein products. If you are worried about losing muscle just eat some food before bed.

Last edited:
It's one of those things t that makes sense when you don't investigate any further than the surface. More often than not what people are eating before bed is purely excess and puts them way over their caloric balance for the day. That, and the fact that in the West we eat a shit ton of sugar and processed grains, is a surefire way to get that food to be stored in fat cells.

Lol, I meant to just give him a short answer and at this point he may as well have gotten the long answer.

100 % agree.

I have found casein really helps me with my feeling of recovery following hard workouts. My guts handle it better than whey so I'm using it. I do need about a wicked piss in the night though

I always have a meal or protein/casein shake before bed. I just can't get to sleep on an empty stomach, no idea why... then again, I usually work out after i get home from work so it's not a bad thing to eat and take protein, post workout anyway.

I do a desertspoon (sometimes two) or raw untreated honey at bedtime and it the most amazing thing ive ever discovered. my quality of sleep, and the energy i have n waking up is massively improved since doing that.

so, nothing is not always right

(that and fruit puree on my breakfast is the only sugars i have)

Not necessary if you had a good dinner.

Unless you are less than 7% bodyfat with lots of added muscle, your body isnt going to eat muscle away because you have a 3-4 hours fast.

Back