Case Study. Ontario Canada. Ideological leftist failure!

MikeMcMann

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ontario was a bastion of self sufficiency in its power generation for decades. A mix of hydro, Nuclear and Coal gave us a stable power supply and allowed us to sell off excess energy for decades to the US and other Provinces.

Left leaning politicians for decades have chipped away at that sufficiency by purposely choking out both Nuclear and Coal to create a demand for their much hoped for green energy projects. They envisioned a Province running on Wind and Solar and would let nothing get in the way of that including huge costs and power shortages to citizens.

The Green Energy Act was brought into Ontario in 2009 by the Liberal McGuinty gov't. It forcibly committed the citizens and gov't to buy any and ALL green energy produced (wind, solar, etc) first to feed the Ontario grid before the gov't could purchase or use any other forms of power. This meant guaranteed demand for the Green Energy producers regardless of cost to produce this green energy.

What this has resulted in is Ontario citizens having to buy their power for 8.55 cents a kilowatt hour while selling off the cheaper produced energy to neighbouring jurisdictions — Michigan. New York, Minnesota, Manitoba and Quebec — for 2.65 cents/kwh. A debacle that is costing citizens upwards of $1B per year some years so basically give away the cheap energy while forcing citizens to buy the more expensive. Its a bizarre situation where Ontario now has overall the lowest cost energy it has ever had but the citizens of Ontario pay the most they ever had and far more than market costs. In fact the more the wind blows and sun shines and the more Green Energy that is produced the worse off Ontario citizens are, cost wise.

In a rare move the Ontario Liberal Premier, in near tears admitted the debacle has had a real and profound impact on Ontarion's particular those who live with little discretionary income where "“People have told (her) that they’ve had to choose between paying their electricity bill and buying food or paying the rent."

This is a true case of Gov't and Leftist hubris where they see something they think is 'the right thing to do' and that it will be a boon to the citizens and simply believe they can force it into the market and effectively pick winners in losers within a free market economy and end up distorting the market and hurting the very citizens they purport to be helping.

This is what happens when leftist, liberal ideology is given too storing a mandate (majority) by citizens (voters) where they can force these measures in without checks and balances.

We were getting fucked during the conservatives also back during the Harris Gov and onward. Ontario needs a complete overhaul of 90% of its politicians, energy practices, healthcare and allocations. Wynne needs the boot, i'd vote a potato over her.

Ontario is totally reliant on addiction too. It has a lock on the alcohol, tobacco and gambling (with payouts as abysmal as the cash grabbing Vegas strip) "industries." This reliance can't and won't last. Throw in a housing market bubble, mass immigration and look out.

I fuckin hate the Ontario Liberal party. So corrupt, so full of crap, and these tards here keep voting them in. I don't know about "ideological leftist failure" or whatever. Just more garden-variety crooked ass crony capitalist scumbags. Harris and his crew were terrible as well and Bob Rae and his NDP government aren't exactly fondly remembered around these parts either. I think people have finally had enough of Wynne and her bullshit though. Will be interesting to see how they're gonna try and stay in power. It will come down to what will they try to bribe us with, but they don't exactly have a lot of credibility now. I can't imagine them running an identity-politic heavy campaign where you try to shame people into voting for you to be on "the right side side of history" because that card has been overplayed all over the West and it seems to be backfiring at the moment.

I fuckin hate the Ontario Liberal party. So corrupt, so full of crap, and these tards here keep voting them in. I don't know about "ideological leftist failure" or whatever. Just more garden-variety crooked ass crony capitalist scumbags. Harris and his crew were terrible as well and Bob Rae and his NDP government aren't exactly fondly remembered around these parts either. I think people have finally had enough of Wynne and her bullshit though. Will be interesting to see how they're gonna try and stay in power. It will come down to what will they try to bribe us with, but they don't exactly have a lot of credibility now. I can't imagine them running an identity-politic heavy campaign where you try to shame people into voting for you to be on "the right side side of history" because that card has been overplayed all over the West and it seems to be backfiring at the moment.
But all they have to do to keep their lock on power is appeal to well meaning by naïve leftists and activists saying they will force that left leaning agenda regardless of cost to the citizens.

Much like how Gore almost won his Presidential election by pushing the horrible Kyoto accords which luckily for the environment and citizens were defeated.

as an ontario ratepayer, i support this thread

Ontario is totally reliant on addiction too. It has a lock on the alcohol, tobacco and gambling (with payouts as abysmal as the cash grabbing Vegas strip) "industries." This reliance can't and won't last. Throw in a housing market bubble, mass immigration and look out.
the alcohol and gambling thing is certainly another thing I could rant over. Disgusting.

Wait till we implement a federal and provincial carbon tax!

And yet the liberals have been the defacto party in power, minus a few short stints, in Ontario for my entire life.

Um I'm not sure how old you are but the Liberals weren't in power here from 1990 to 2003.

"...minus a few short stints"

That's just a really weird way to describe that. It's the same amount of time that they've been in power now. They had 1 term in the 80s and prior to that it was Conservative for like 40 years. It would be like saying the Democrat party has been in charge of the US my entire life, minus a few short stints.

That's just a really weird way to describe that. It's the same amount of time that they've been in power now. They had 1 term in the 80s and prior to that it was Conservative for like 40 years. It would be like saying the Democrat party has been in charge of the US my entire life, minus a few short stints.
Well since I have been old enough to follow politics and vote, which started during the David Peterson reign in 1985, the government has been all Liberal minus the tiny stint by the NDP and the Harris Gov't.

Re-reading it my prior post should have said 'my entire voting life' and not just my 'entire life'.

While I agree the current Liberal govt + the McGinty govt have fucked us over, so too did the Harris and Harper govts.

Ontario has been the butt boy of the rest of Canada re: equilization formula, and Toronot has been the most anally reamed of all.

It was a true shame that the Toronto Jewish Community owned John Tory, and it cost him the election when he did their bidding just weeks before the vote.

Harper Gov was trash as well, a reigme.

Wyne is a fucking crook who needs to be run out.

Bitch upping her fucking pay scale.

Harper is federal, Wynne is provincial. Apples to oranges. Stay on topic.

You haven't posted anything in this thread relating to the topic.

Maybe you need to get on topic.

{<huh}

Let me just say this for those shitting on Harris in this thread.... He got my useless brother kicked off of welfare. That wasn't bad.

This isn't a case study of leftist ideology. It is a case study of just complete incompetence. This whole partisan bullshit we have had to deal with for last umpteen years is getting really tiring.

Back