Capoeira in MMA

i havent seen the first one.. thanks...looked pretty effective to me maybe it has got a place in mma but youl have to change some ethics of it

First one was a cool takedown. I liked how he transitioned it. I wish the video was better quality.

aaron_mag said:
First one was a cool takedown. I liked how he transitioned it. I wish the video was better quality.

Same. I actually said "nice" alone in a room all by myself when he scored that takedown.

It lookd forced when he did his cap stunts. It looks like he did it just to 'represent'.

i havent seen the first one.. thanks...looked pretty effective to me maybe it has got a place in mma but youl have to change some ethics of it

Not really. Not all Capoeristas do the dancing aspect of it only or primarily. There's a fighting version that's more practical, and rivals the effectiveness of most other Stand-up Arts I've ever seen.

it's probably the best art for conditioning, depends on the style too. Their are two styles Angola(sp) and Reginal. The first is more the old mans game, where you fight close and it's all about controling your core, alot of odd postions and such, the later is the one that uses momentum and has all the flashy spins and flips,, both are great and I hope to get back into it when I move away agian,, CAPOIERA= BEST CARDIO+WORK OUT imo

I think the transition to the takedown was a fluke. It looked to me like he fell from the leg kick the other guy did. When he fell, he automatically did a negative-role, as do all capoeiristas in general. The guy's leg happened to be there and he grabbed it.
It was still cool.

im not convinced in the videos ive seen they seem to wave there arms around alot and not guard themselves, and that takedown did seem abit flukey, the guy he was fighting didnt really look like he knew what he was doing, kept droping his arms and when he got taken down didnt try to pull guard or sweep him or anything

funkgsus said:
it's probably the best art for conditioning, depends on the style too. Their are two styles Angola(sp) and Reginal. The first is more the old mans game, where you fight close and it's all about controling your core, alot of odd postions and such, the later is the one that uses momentum and has all the flashy spins and flips,, both are great and I hope to get back into it when I move away agian,, CAPOIERA= BEST CARDIO+WORK OUT imo

There is a local health club that is going to have a visiting Capoiera instructor (I think from Brazil) for sunday sessions for about a month. I was thinking about doing it because it would be fun and a great way to work out without 'working out'. But martial arts and work takes me away from family too much as it is...and the wife told me 'no' too!!! ;)

Jean Silva (whom Fought Gomi) also does Capoeira.

in the first vid, seems like he went for 2 high kicks, got kicked in the legs fell, did some spins on the ground, then happened to run into the guy's right lower leg and took him down from there. so maybe a little luck...but that spin move he did on the ground was what got himi to where he was in a way.

Looks pretty, but I can think of a few other styles off the top of my head that are more effective in a broader range of circumstances.

It would probably be a good style to throw someone off their game, because most fighters aren't used to seeing something like Capoeria. Maybe not something I'd rely on entirely, but it is pretty cool.

Wow! Never seen Capoeria combos used in actual combat before. Very nice post.

Back