Canelo vs Liam Smith

The Can Opener

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
This is on most of the news sites so I figured it was worth discussing. Apparently If Smith wins this weekend Canelo is next at 154.

“I’ve been offered the Canelo fight but I haven’t been told too much about it,” Smith said to ringtv.com. “It would be for my title because he has given up his (WBC) belt at 160 and would be moving back down to 154 pounds.”

“I don’t win on Saturday, there is no Canelo (Alvarez),” said Liam Smith. “My team is keeping things quiet right now because it’s important that my mind is on the job that’s in front of me. I don’t like talking about future fights and we’re just being professional.”

It's interesting for a few reasons. First because it's at 154 which is a weight Canelo failed to make last time he tried. Secondly it's probably the easiest road to a belt so he can go back to calling himself a champion and possibly stop some of the negative press he is constantly getting now. Third is intriguing because Cotto is the mandatory for Liam Smith's WBO belt but doesn't want to fight him because his name wouldn't generate a huge payday. So if Canelo does it and takes the strap it sets up Canelo/Cotto 2 The Revenge perfectly since it would be a mandatory and it would be for a legit belt.

I have a hard time believing he was "offered" the fight. Maybe they talked.

After disappointing PPV numbers against Khan and not making a GGG fight, he comes back by fighting an unknown in Liam Smith? Yeah, ok. That'll go over real well.

I agree with your assessment in that last paragraph.
Makes sense from Canelo's standpoint.
Another strap, a big money rematch with Cotto, and best of all---no GGG.

great fight. Hope it happens. It would be fun to watch.

great fight. Hope it happens. It would be fun to watch.

Is this sarcasm? Canelo murders him and he already got an "easy" fight vs Khan. Lemieux would be more fun if he avoids Golovkin

Got a hard time buying this one being accurate. Doesnt make sense on multiple levels.

Then again, boxing is a confusing heartless bitch.

Is this sarcasm? Canelo murders him and he already got an "easy" fight vs Khan. Lemieux would be more fun if he avoids Golovkin

Smith has won 7-8 by stoppage in a row and is a undefeated champion. He will give Saul some good work before losing a dec.

I hope it happen in the UK. Fight could sell big over there and help Saul becomes a World Star.

I made a joke a few months ago about thinking that Canelo and Cotto would starve themselves and show up emaciated at their weigh in, well below the 155 limit, just to prove that they are too small for GGG and have an excuse not to fight him next. It sounds like Canelo is actually doing that now.

Smith has won 7-8 by stoppage in a row and is a undefeated champion. He will give Saul some good work before losing a dec.

I hope it happen in the UK. Fight could sell big over there and help Saul becomes a World Star.

The step up in class for Smith is huge. He hasnt fought anyone close to Canelo. Khan was vulnerable and coming up in weight but hes been fighting elite boxers for a long time. Maybe Smith suprises me but I dont think so

This took about 15 seconds of searching.

The step up in class for Smith is huge. He hasnt fought anyone close to Canelo. Khan was vulnerable and coming up in weight but hes been fighting elite boxers for a long time. Maybe Smith suprises me but I dont think so

I think Canelo is out of his league as well, but style wise it's going to be really fun. Smith actually has a similar style to Golovkin in my opinion, so that could be part of his appeal. Both fighters struggle against range and movement, but Canelo has faced much better competition. It will be a really fun fight while it lasts. I'm not sold on Smith's defense or handspeed, but he has power and is a nice body puncher. I think its too big of a step up for him, but it's a cool fight in my mind. Catch-weight maybe?

Have you seen any Liam fights?

Does he indeed get killed?

DLH's interview (from today or yesterday not sure). Same as what Loeffler said.

The Golden Boy chief is currently in Florida taking part in a trial, but he insisted that “negotiations are going to start again once we finish our business.”

Between that and Smith's clarification I think we can all take a deep breath now.

Have you seen any Liam fights?

Does he indeed get killed?

Not recently but yeah I watched some of his fights.
I you aren't an annoying mover then you better be a real monster if you stand infront of Canelo.
Smith is good but I see him getting finished.
The good thing for fans is that we will see action the bad thing for Smith is that he will take real damage and get finished.
Even if e is competing for a few rounds all it means is that he take even more damage. Canelo is probably in his prime Smith is too inexperienced and not on his level.
I think Canelo is out of his league as well, but style wise it's going to be really fun. Smith actually has a similar style to Golovkin in my opinion, so that could be part of his appeal. Both fighters struggle against range and movement, but Canelo has faced much better competition. It will be a really fun fight while it lasts. I'm not sold on Smith's defense or handspeed, but he has power and is a nice body puncher. I think its too big of a step up for him, but it's a cool fight in my mind. Catch-weight maybe?

Canelo only does catch weights apparently so probably. Smith at this point at least is Golovkin 0.5 that's just not enough and stylistically I even give Canelo a chance against the real GGG let alone Smith

DLH's interview (from today or yesterday not sure). Same as what Loeffler said.

Between that and Smith's clarification I think we can all take a deep breath now.
I'll choose to ignore what you posted since it doesn't fit into my Canelo ducking theory -- the haters

Warning sarcasm

I'll choose to ignore what you posted since it doesn't fit into my Canelo ducking theory -- the haters

Warning sarcasm

Glad it didnt turn into another shit show lol.

Of course. Why wouldn't they? Because the one fight you want to see hasn't happened yet?

The fight I wanted? No the fight everybody in boxing wants except those like yourself who inexplicably root for boxers as business men instead boxers as competitors.

Back