Canelo vs Golovkin: A Technical Summary (video)

Bogotazo

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score

Turn on subtitles for proper viewing :)

Last edited:
That jab looks to be a big problem for Canelo
You highlighted perfectly

Was waiting for the breakdown it did not disappoint

Glad I didn't disappoint haha especially after you requested it. I'm still not confident in my pick, both have very visible flaws.

That's a pretty good breakdown. It is likely that the Lemieux / Jacobs version of GGG shows up rather than the Brook one. Jabs vs counters will be a very important part of the story.

I also believe that both will use some wicked bodywork to slow down the other.

At the end of the day I do see this one going the distance. They both have good chins, they'll be cautious and they won't carry all of their power very late due to the body work.

On a side note, rewatching the fights in the video :
1/ Canelo - Cotto was a very enjoyable, technical fight fought at a good pace. I just wish it was a bit closer.
2/ GGG took some very good shots from Jacobs, and it takes a motherfucking beard.

Last edited:
That's a pretty good breakdown. It is likely that the Lemieux / Jacobs version of GGG shows up rather than the Brook one. Jabs vs counters will be a very important part of the story.

At the end of the day I do see this one going the distance. They both have good chins, they'll be cautious and they won't carry all of their power very late due to the body work.

On a side not, rewatching the fights in the video :
1/ Canelo - Cotto was a very enjoyable, technical fight fought at a good pace. I just wish it was a bit closer.
2/ GGG took some very good shots from Jacobs, and it takes a motherfucking beard.

Based on which fights does Canelo have a good chin at MW?

Based on which fights does Canelo have a good chin at MW?

The Cotto shots that destroyed Martinez and Geale had little effect on Canelo.

Sure, Cotto isn't the most powerful MW ever, but the lack of effect of his shots on Canelo was remarkable.

On a side not, rewatching the fights in the video :

Thanks a lot.

A lot of people are thinking he should go with a jab-heavy gameplan but I think Golovkin should go more Jacobs than Lemieux. I think giving Canelo too much time to think and see and identify patterns early will allow him to get into the fight. A blistering body attack behind a jab early could pay off better down the line and give Golovkin room to switch it up and control the distance a bit. Otherwise I feel it might be the mistake Matthysse made; he came in with measured pressure against a flat-footed counter-puncher and slowly got figured out instead of putting a hard mark on the fight early.

The Cotto shots that destroyed Martinez and Geale had little effect on Canelo.

Sure, Cotto isn't the most powerful MW ever, but the lack of effect of his shots on Canelo was remarkable.

I also think Canelo's chin is pretty good, though the fact Cotto couldn't hurt him also has to do with the fact he was throwing with speed and couldn't sit down on his punches in the pocket like he could for Geale and others. There was no moment he could crowd and trade with Canelo to land flush with that left hook.

I do agree on Canelo's ability to adjust if GGG gets predictable. GGG should put some diversity in the way he follows the jab, as Canelo, even if his arms are short, has the timing and the skill to throw the right successfully.

Cotto wasn't too predictable in his approach and Canelo could still figure him out. GGG isn't as versatile as Cotto, however his power should make Canelo think before he opens up to unload a counter.

I can't wait.

I agree with all of this. GGG isn't going into an all out war with Canelo. He is going to be very measured like in the Lemieux fight.

I keep flip-flopping on this fight and might have just gone back to GGG momentarily. The one thing I can't figure out is who is going to be stronger in the 2nd half.

Canelo doesn't punch nearly as hard as Lemiuex or Jacobs. I see a much more aggressive GGG than against those guys.

I do agree on Canelo's ability to adjust if GGG gets predictable. GGG should put some diversity in the way he follows the jab, as Canelo, even if his arms are short, has the timing and the skill to throw the right successfully.

Cotto wasn't too predictable in his approach and Canelo could still figure him out. GGG isn't as versatile as Cotto, however his power should make Canelo think before he opens up to unload a counter.

I can't wait.

Well said.

I can't wait.
GGG loads up far more blatantly than canelo. Golovkin has a lot of tells.

GGG loads up far more blatantly than canelo. Golovkin has a lot of tells.

Agreed. If he took Canelo's countering skills into account he should have worked on one or two things he's not used to doing, otherwise he'll get tagged repeatedly when he jabs.

Agreed. If he took Canelo's countering skills into account he should have worked on one or two things he's not used to doing, otherwise he'll get tagged repeatedly when he jabs.

Feints in particular. Sometimes he dispenses with them too much.

Isn't this the same people that said chad dawsons jab is quicker than a bite from a cobra?

Haha nah that was fightscience or something. But it's not impossible for that to be true.

Haha nah that was fightscience or something. But it's not impossible for that to be true.
I don't know why it brought that to mind to be honest. I feel the need to caveat everything I type at the moment saying I'm not being critical. Canelo vs ggg is two world class boxers facing off. His punch may be very efficient but a minor criticism was that if I can watch tape and know what's coming, you're damn sure canelo can see more.

My friend made a good point when watching the Jacobs combination section. He said Golovkin strikes him as a guy who is either on the offensive or on the defensive, he doesn't seem to blend and integrate the two. It's either he's punching coming forward, or he's blocking and stepping back. And I think he's right. In his early performance there's more nuance and more "steps" to his setups, but I haven't seen him set up a counter or two-step move, from memory.

Back