****Canelo vs GGG on September 16*** Official Thread

Who do you have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
GGG vs Canelo will be a very tactical fight. Saul looked great tonight. But lets add some context because Chavez is tailor made for Canelo's style. With that said Saul has improved his skills with every fight and has added great versatility to his game inside and outside, countering punching and leading. IF GGG continues to try and Head hunt like his past couple of fights, he is going to get outboxed although he will still have a great chance of hurting Canelo and dropping him because of his power. The question will be how well Canelo can take GGG's power shots. If however GGG focuses on the body work when throwing his combinations off of the Jab, and stops the head hunting nonsense he will hurt Canelo badly multiple times during the fight and has a great chance of stopping him. So yea I favour GGG but feel Canelo tactically and skill wise will be his toughest test.

I was confident that GGG had a slight edge in this matchup, but now I'm not so sure. Canelo looked great. I understand that GGG is much better than Chavez, but Canelo showed that the size difference won't be a significant factor IMO.
I don't know, I have a different take from this fight then you.

I have nothing against Canelo and your right he did look good, but a couple thoughts on that.

1) his power never had Chavez jr hurt as far as I could tell at all. I don't think Canelo's power carried over that well at all. Canelo essentially was able to tee off with no worry, because he had an opponent who offered nothing back, except for stationary forward and backwards movement. I'll will say though Canelo's speed on his punches looked good.

2) Chavez jr did what? Throw like 25 punches per round? Landing what like 3-7 punches per round? I mean ffs Canelo tripled Chavez jr in total punches landed, total jabs landed and total power punches landed, yet at no point did Chavez ever get wobbled or even dropped. That's not a good sign. Granted Chavez jr was likely a 180 lbs fight nite, but probably so was Canelo.

Now granted Chavez jr is billed at being 6'1 that could of been a reason for the lack of power in Canelo's shots, but imo it looked like Chavez jr was leaning forward and down all night. So his stance negated his height. Canelo caught jr with good uppercuts, which jr ate well.

Ultimately what I'm saying is, Canelo is not going to look as good as he did tonight against a proven middle weight in ggg who has an excellent jab, good if not great power (I mean shit he dropped Jacobs who had height and weight advantages on him) and Canelo sure as heck doesn't have the foot work of Jacobs (which mainly troubled ggg in that fight)

Imo the pace that 3G will push on that night will be to much for Canelo to handle. 3G by UD or late tko.

Should be a great fight nonetheless.

Canelo wins a UD.

Hope all of you Canelo shit talkers are enjoying your crow dinners.

"Hes scared of GGG!"
Yes, but to put it in perspective, it is a year later post dropping back down to JMW to avoid the fight.

Since the fight is official people need to STFU about it not happening sooner.
Let it go. Still good timing. You got what you wanted. Just shut up and be happy

Going with GGG. But could easily see Canelo getting the win. Not expecting any knockdowns or knockouts though
I missed some of the fight last night but Chavez didn't seem to do much in the way of punching. Jacobs is a much more dangerous fighter. He had the size and offense so even though it was a closer fight I'd give GGG the edge against Canelo.

76555237.jpg

Mexicans can really look like anything.

Yep, people associate Mexicans with amerindian features but forget there is a lot of Europeans mixed into that country. The majority of Mexican people that Americans encountered are the ones with a lot of amerindian genetics which usually lead to a lot of short people. Take someone like Cain, he's obviously has some strong European DNA based on his sized and look. His father also looks white.

Caindad_medium.jpg

Mexican President's family looks a lot whiter than the cast of the Jersey shore

15639.jpg

Wow what a corageous guy! Throws his belt away and waits two years until GGG is 35 and looks to have slowed down.
I don't think GGG has slowed down or that Canelo has gotten any better. If anything the delay was more a negotiating tactic than to let the fight marinate. It should have happened this past September.

I missed some of the fight last night but Chavez didn't seem to do much in the way of punching. Jacobs is a much more dangerous fighter. He had the size and offense so even though it was a closer fight I'd give GGG the edge against Canelo.
Thats a good point. But Jacobs is on such a higher level than Chavez Jr its hard for me to even draw anything from those 2 fights. Hard for me to base anything on last nights fight. Chavez did absolutely nothing. It reminded me of a sparring session where you're not allowed to hurt or go hard the star with a big fight the next week.

Plese somebody help me! I'm not very know with boxing. I watch couple of fights but i'm more a kickboxing guy.

But whats yhe deal with canelo he is Mexican right ? Why does he looks like some swedisch dude ? I though Mexicans had black hair and stuff ?
(Not to sound complete rascist haha just wondering)
He's one of them Mexican Irish...

It's a little different when you're GGG and have been largely avoided by your entire division for what feels like a decade. GGG is 35 now and struggled a lot vs Jacobs, now Canelo is ready to fight him? :rolleyes: I'm shocked. What a coincidence. Oh yes, marinate, of course.
Yeah but there's a big difference in quality of opposition in their last fights. Jacobs is 10 times better than Junior.

I was confident that GGG had a slight edge in this matchup, but now I'm not so sure. Canelo looked great. I understand that GGG is much better than Chavez, but Canelo showed that the size difference won't be a significant factor IMO.
He was basically a big punching bag though. He doesn't have a GGG or Jacobs level offense.

I don't think GGG has slowed down or that Canelo has gotten any better. If anything the delay was more a negotiating tactic than to let the fight marinate. It should have happened this past September.
WRONG.

The biggest selling fight ever was "over marinated".
There's no way to know what the fight would have sold a few years earlier so attributing it's success to the delay may not be accurate.

Canelo by decision. Everyone is asking if canelo can take ggg punches but for me it's gonna be ggg thrown off his game plan once he realizes how effective canelos counters with laser guided precision are. This will look similar to ggg vs jacobs fight but with canelo being more active than jacobs was.

Damn super pumped for this fight ! What a year this has been .

Couple of things I like to express on the Canelo v Chavez fight from a fan perspective
At the 1200 or so people I was with (I didn't interview anyone ) most expressed 2 things .
1. Why doesn't Canelo ko Chavez he is done
2. Why isn't Chavez attacking

When they saw ggg vs Canelo was set the place exploded with cheers . The women sided with Canelo and laughed and cheered at his every word

The men was a mix of Canelo will get murdered to he will be the victor by ko .but at least everyone was interested one way of another .

I feel during the Chavez fight Canelo was constantly out of position , he needs to be more self aware on his footwork.

He has very slick upper body movement , and his defense has improved . He still has spots where he losses focus.

He has a bit of showboat in him and is too confident on his rope counter pulls .

If Canelo shows up the same way for GGG , you will see a brutal Victory for GGG

I think Chepo and his team are aware and will get Canelo ready for his fight and it looks they are pushing his style towards boxer with pop. They won't be looking for a ko , they will be looking to drain GGG's power with body shots . GGG due to his basic but very effective style has many body tells so if they work off that they can win , won't be easy though ( obviously)

I fear that Canelo hurt his hand and is getting it checked ? I hope there isn't a delay because the American fanbase will say Canelo is ducking

All points? Hard to say GGG has slowed down because he struggled against another top MW who is better than any opponent they've faced since last year. Hard to say Canelo has improved since Smith and Junior aren't on the same level as Cotto and Khan. Is this a bigger fight now than it would have been 8 months ago?

Canelo by decision. Everyone is asking if canelo can take ggg punches but for me it's gonna be ggg thrown off his game plan once he realizes how effective canelos counters with laser guided precision are. This will look similar to ggg vs jacobs fight but with canelo being more active than jacobs was.
I'll bet you on that if you're so confident. Your mojo against my Swedish penis enlarger...:D

Last edited:
i still think GGG takes this. if he establishes a jab, and he's more than capable of doing that, canelo will not look as good as he did last night. chavez barely threw anything, and his jabs were there for show, while GGG throws his almost like a power punch. i don't think alvarez will be quite as eager to counter off of those. and historically, good jabbers have given canelo the most problems.

but then again, GGG doesn't fight anything like mayweather or lara, so his jab might turn out to be less of a factor.

i'll hate to see either lose, to be honest.

They first official excuse for when Canelo beats GGG.
Here it is.

Name the fighters who were at their bets at 35? Do you think that's the typical prime of a fighter?

Facts are not excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back