****Canelo vs GGG on September 16*** Official Thread

Who do you have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I'm just getting into boxing will this be on ppv or showtime/hbo?

Stephen A Smith claims GGG told him he had to take it easy on guys to get Canelo in the ring with him. I know people will mock this but I can't see why either side (GGG or SAS) would lie about this. Is GGG's ego so big that he needs to he wants to plant this rumor with the media to feel better about himself?
I heard he personally begged Brook and Jacobs to make him look bad during their matches "please guys, make me look bad, I need to fight Canelo!"

Floyd/Pac prob would have been a better fight a few years earlier yet it still was the biggest fight ever. Crazy.
It's impossible to say how many buys they would have had around the time Pac was destroying Oscar and Hatton and Floyd dominated JMM. Those bouts made the fight more intriguing. Of course maybe waiting so many years did get more buys but it cost us, and them, a prime vs prime matchup and a rematch that could have been more meaningful to their legacies.

History agrees with the one Im discussing.
No, he's right, there's no data for the amount of buys they would have had if they fought years earlier so it's only speculation.

In the post fight interview after the Jacobs fight GGG made it sound like he didn't want to finish Jacobs because he felt bad for him and he likes him. Considering he damn near lost that fight I would assume what he said after was utter nonsense. Twice in the past(before Kell and Jacobs)his trainer said GGG was letting himself get hit and go rounds in the hopes that a big name would be more likely to fight him if he looked beatable. Again, that seems highly unlikely. I don't think it has anything to do with ego or feeling better about himself. Boxing is very much about deception. Make them think you're strong when you're weak and that you're weak when you're strong.

The fact is he didn't looked great against Brook even though he smashed his skull into pieces. He didn't look great against Jacobs even though he won the fight. I think it's obvious that made both himself and Canelo more eager for this fight. Canelo needs this fight while GGG is unbeaten and that could easily change if he fought Jacobs again. GGG needs this fight now because he has looked progressively worse in his last two fights. Could be because he was fighting his best two opponents or it could be because he's getting old or more likely a combination of both but for him now is the time.

Would it have been a better fight a year ago? Probably. Would it have made as much money a year ago? Nope. Lucky for both guys nothing stupid happened to ruin the hype behind the match. It has happened many times before where two fighters try to marinate a huge bout too long and someone gets crushed in the meantime costing everyone money and fame and a piece of their legacy.

This is ALMOST the ideal time for the fight. Yeah Canelo's reputation has taken a hit and GGG looked very human against Jacobs and easy to hit against Brook but I'm still really glad the fight is finally signed. Whoever wins gets a lot more fame and respect than they would have a year or two ago. GGG may be a little too ripe at 35 but he could have taken the fight for shit money quite awhile ago.

So where does the winner go from here?

I heard he personally begged Brook and Jacobs to make him look bad during their matches "please guys, make me look bad, I need to fight Canelo!"

Here's the mockery. Again, what is the theory for why he would have told SAS that or why SAS would have lied about that?

Here's the mockery. Again, what is the theory for why he would have told SAS that or why SAS would have lied about that?
If it's directly from GGG: exactly what you said it wasn't (him being embarassed by his performances and coming up with excuses).

If it's SAS, he's trying to establish himself as an insider boxing voice, because everybody knows he and skip are a joke when it comes to talking boxing.

Maybe both guys just want to stir up further interest in the fight, keep it going.

But anybody that isn't delusional realizes it's just ridiculous to say. Sorry, if you want to live in a fantasy world, that's fine, but nobody on this planet believes that. You don't intentionally run a decision as close as he did with Jacobs if you're trying to get a fight with Canelo. Then you have a loss and nowhere near the negotiating power. You don't let a big puncher like Brook just unload on you. I can believe it if he fought extra reckless against guys like Geale, but against Jacobs and Brook? No, that's just stupid and you know it.

If it's directly from GGG: exactly what you said it wasn't (him being embarassed by his performances and coming up with excuses).

If it's SAS, he's trying to establish himself as an insider boxing voice, because everybody knows he and skip are a joke when it comes to talking boxing.

Maybe both guys just want to stir up further interest in the fight, keep it going.

But anybody that isn't delusional realizes it's just ridiculous to say. Sorry, if you want to live in a fantasy world, that's fine, but nobody on this planet believes that. You don't intentionally run a decision as close as he did with Jacobs if you're trying to get a fight with Canelo. Then you have a loss and nowhere near the negotiating power. You don't let a big puncher like Brook just unload on you. I can believe it if he fought extra reckless against guys like Geale, but against Jacobs and Brook? No, that's just stupid and you know it.

Brook is not a big puncher, even at WW, so I don't doubt he wasn't a afraid to be reckless and vulnerable.

Jacobs does seem questionable but given that its boxing, maybe he was confident he wouldn't lose a close decision that would cost the sport it's biggest fight?

Or maybe GGG told SAS this before the Jacobs fight. THat seems more likely.

Brook is not a big puncher, even at WW, so I don't doubt he wasn't a afraid to be reckless and vulnerable.

Jacobs does seem questionable but given that its boxing, maybe he was confident he wouldn't lose a close decision that would cost the sport it's biggest fight?

Or maybe GGG told SAS this before the Jacobs fight. THat seems more likely.
it's a fantasy.

So where does the winner go from here?

If GGG wins the next fight is a rematch no matter what.

If Canelo wins I don't think there will ever be a rematch so I would guess he'd face Jacobs next. Or maybe after shutting Saunders up for the sake of boxing fans everywhere.

Honestly it's just not a packed division at 160 so I would not be surprised to see the top 4 or 5 guys all move up next year. Jacobs needs to be at 168. GGG said he will move up if he can get that last belt. Lemiuex fights more at catchweights above 160 than he does at 160. Canelo just fought at 164.5 and looked just fine. Who's left at 160? I guess Kid Chocolate if his legs ever stop wobbling from that one round with Jacobs.

I could see him getting tagged a few times by Brook and realizing he isn't going to get knocked out then just trading shots knowing he has a huge power advantage. Brook had the speed and flash but he was jumping a decent weight gap and he isn't a one shot killer.

No way in hell would GGG let Jacobs do that though. So the shots he took were all due to Jacobs skill and nothing else. It was obvious he did not like some of what he felt in that fight. A bunch of rounds he looked very hesitant and the three times he had Jacobs seriously buzzed he didn't fight with reckless abandon like we are used to. He knocks guys out while getting hit. He didn't look like he wanted to take that risk with Jacobs. And like you said if he lost that fight he'd be fucked. No Canelo fight. No Saunders fight for the belt. No undefeated record to sell him to the fans. All he'd have left was another toss up match with Jacobs.

It's impossible to say how many buys they would have had around the time Pac was destroying Oscar and Hatton and Floyd dominated JMM. Those bouts made the fight more intriguing. Of course maybe waiting so many years did get more buys but it cost us, and them, a prime vs prime matchup and a rematch that could have been more meaningful to their legacies.
No, he's right, there's no data for the amount of buys they would have had if they fought years earlier so it's only speculation.
Drama and build ups sell fights. This is why there is more discussion about fights that include drama and shit talking etc.

We'll just agree to disagree.

I could see him getting tagged a few times by Brook and realizing he isn't going to get knocked out then just trading shots knowing he has a huge power advantage. Brook had the speed and flash but he was jumping a decent weight gap and he isn't a one shot killer.

No way in hell would GGG let Jacobs do that though. So the shots he took were all due to Jacobs skill and nothing else. It was obvious he did not like some of what he felt in that fight. A bunch of rounds he looked very hesitant and the three times he had Jacobs seriously buzzed he didn't fight with reckless abandon like we are used to. He knocks guys out while getting hit. He didn't look like he wanted to take that risk with Jacobs. And like you said if he lost that fight he'd be fucked. No Canelo fight. No Saunders fight for the belt. No undefeated record to sell him to the fans. All he'd have left was another toss up match with Jacobs.
I mean, I can see him trying to put entertainment before efficiency against featherfisted Geale or even maybe Brook but I don't see him trying to look bad to draw in Canelo, especially not against Jacobs. That was razor close, nobody intentionally runs that kind of fight. I mean, he looked spectacular against Lemieux and beat Wade silly, it just doesn't hold up logically.

You should be happy to see SAS talk boxing.
The more that ESPN talks boxing, the more exposure boxing gets, which means more air time.

Skips on FS1 with Shannon Sharpe now.
Its SAS and Max Kellerman which only helps to get more boxing on the biggest network in Sports.
So I dont get mad at SAS, when we have much more lunacy in this forum with supposed "experts".

Saw Skip say to Shannon that Mayweather hasnt KOd anyone since justin Juuko in 1999.
Sharpe yelled "Stop saying that, Skip" and then named other people Floyds stopped but skip said "No, those were TKOs, Im talking cold cocked someone and KOd them"
Skips a jackass.

Fast forward to 3:10.

Holy fuck, we're citing Screamin A Smith as a source now.

Last edited:
You should be happy to see SAS talk boxing.
The more that ESPN talks boxing, the more exposure boxing gets, which means more air time.

Skips on FS1 with Shannon Sharpe now.
Its SAS and Max Kellerman which only helps to get more boxing on the biggest network in Sports.
So I dont get mad at SAS, when we have much more lunacy in this forum with supposed "experts".

Saw Skip say to Shannon that Mayweather hasnt KOd anyone since justin Juuko in 1999.
Sharpe yelled "Stop saying that, Skip" and then named other people Floyds stopped but skip said "No, those were TKOs, Im talking cold cocked someone and KOd them"
Skips a jackass.

Fast forward to 3:10.

IDK man, I know he's good for media exposure, but honestly, I just don't trust him or Skip when it comes to being informed or knowledgeable about the sport.

If GGG wins the next fight is a rematch no matter what.

If Canelo wins I don't think there will ever be a rematch so I would guess he'd face Jacobs next. Or maybe after shutting Saunders up for the sake of boxing fans everywhere.

Honestly it's just not a packed division at 160 so I would not be surprised to see the top 4 or 5 guys all move up next year. Jacobs needs to be at 168. GGG said he will move up if he can get that last belt. Lemiuex fights more at catchweights above 160 than he does at 160. Canelo just fought at 164.5 and looked just fine. Who's left at 160? I guess Kid Chocolate if his legs ever stop wobbling from that one round with Jacobs.

If Canelo wins Floyd comes out of retirement for 50-0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back