Canelo vs Chavez Jr in talks. BREAKING: Canelo signed the contract, waiting on Chavez Jr

Because he's looking for an easy payday, against a big name mexican on a mexican holiday. Duh. Its a showcase fight.
If you go by sales it doesn't seem most people are interested in these showcase fights where you're just there to watch him blast out an over matched opponent. He has an exciting style to watch but at some point you just feel like you're getting hosed.

Another shit fight the sport don't need

Cant believe all the hate on this fight. It is going to be fun as heck to watch

164.5 lbs. I can't defend Canelo any longer.

That's why making him sign at 164.5 is just cheesy. If the fight was disinteresting enough already, as far as being competitive, fighting a weight drained Jr just makes it even more so.
So how much over his natural weight does Canelo have to fight? Canelo is going WAY up in weight here. Almost 10 pounds over his highest weight so far against a guy who has fought at light heavy.

You guys are being ridiculous.

I bet if Golovkin were fighting Chavez at MW, I'd be hearing what a great fight and test it was for him.

So how much over his natural weight does Canelo have to fight? Canelo is going WAY up in weight here. Almost 10 pounds over his highest weight so far against a guy who has fought at light heavy.

You guys are being ridiculous.

I bet if Golovkin were fighting Chavez at MW, I'd be hearing what a great fight and test it was for him.
In a way you're right but Canelo fights at about 175 when he makes 154. He'll probably weight 180ish in the ring against Jr. A rehydration clause would make more sense. I guess we'll see how sales are compared to the Smith fight.

Why bring up GGG, yet again, when talking about Canelo. Maybe some people would say that but the majority would say it's a shitty fight just like this one.

Canelo, Cotto and Pac should have some sort of tournament to see who is the true Catchweight KING of the world.

Sorry if someone beat me to it, but I thought Super Caneloweight would at least be 165lbs ... 164.5 .. SMH

Some of you guys obviously dont understand the concept of taking every advantage possible in negotiations for a fight...

In a way you're right but Canelo fights at about 175 when he makes 154. He'll probably weight 180ish in the ring against Jr. A rehydration clause would make more sense. I guess we'll see how sales are compared to the Smith fight.

Why bring up GGG, yet again, when talking about Canelo. Maybe some people would say that but the majority would say it's a shitty fight just like this one.
Because we were discussing in this thread how Canelo will go up to fight Chavez but not Golovkin. He's moving up HIGHER than he would to fight Golovkin and people are still saying its not enough. Its ridiculous. We'd all prefer that it be Golovkin he fights but its not. Going up in weight 10 pounds is a challenge as far as I'm concerned. Going up 10 pounds is a lot more of an unknown than expecting Chavez to show up in shape at his correct weight.

Some of you guys obviously dont understand the concept of taking every advantage possible in negotiations for a fight...
Yeah, I get it, but they're also selling a fight. How easy do you want it to be? Sparring type tuneups should be on cable not PPV.

are people actually comparing canelo moving up to fight a weight-drained-faded-chavez jr to fighting gennady golovkin?

you can make a case that a non-drained-never-been-kod-chavez jr lost to career 160 journeyman brian vera, the same vera that was then kod by gabriel rosado in bkb one year later.

so essentially what you have is a fighter in chavez jr, post ktfo by fonfara and who arguably lost to 160 journeyman brian vera, fighting canelo alvarez

and 164.5 drained at that

i dont think that version of brian vera that arguably beat chavez jr would beat jacobs, lemuiex, bjs or stevens

Because we were discussing in this thread how Canelo will go up to fight Chavez but not Golovkin. He's moving up HIGHER than he would to fight Golovkin and people are still saying its not enough. Its ridiculous. We'd all prefer that it be Golovkin he fights but its not. Going up in weight 10 pounds is a challenge as far as I'm concerned. Going up 10 pounds is a lot more of an unknown than expecting Chavez to show up in shape at his correct weight.
GGG at 160 is orders of magnitude more difficult than Jr at 164.5. I'd rather see him at MW against any ranked contender than this fight. The only reason it's at a weird weight is because they're looking for a no hoper and jr's dad is one of México's greatest.

I don't know what Jr weighs right now but hopefully he has enough time to make weight and be in shape. Who knows if he's only looking for a payday.

GGG at 160 is orders of magnitude more difficult than Jr at 164.5. I'd rather see him at MW against any ranked contender than this fight. The only reason it's at a weird weight is because they're looking for a no hoper and jr's dad is one of México's greatest.

I don't know what Jr weighs right now but hopefully he has enough time to make weight and be in shape. Who knows if he's only looking for a payday.

he came in at 168 last month when he fought career 160 nobody britsch who jr never had in serious trouble. you can watch the fight to see just how bad julio has fallen and why canelo needing to drain the current version of chavez jr is such a joke

the britsch guy might have beaten a 164.5 chavez jr

Yeah, I get it, but they're also selling a fight. How easy do you want it to be? Sparring type tuneups should be on cable not PPV.
Well, I honestly don't get a worked up on whether a fight is gonna be competitive based on the weights...They still come in the ring weighing what their body naturally wants to.

he came in at 168 last month when he fought career 160 nobody britsch who jr never had in serious trouble. you can watch the fight to see just how bad julio has fallen and why canelo needing to drain the current version of chavez jr is such a joke

the britsch guy might have beaten a 164.5 chavez jr
Yes, hopefully he's been in the gym, if it's just a cash grab this fight is gonna suck.

Well, I honestly don't get a worked up on whether a fight is gonna be competitive based on the weights...They still come in the ring weighing what their body naturally wants to.
Yes, but was getting to the weight their bodies wanted to be a relief, or a burden?

Last edited:
Back