"Canelo leaves (boxing) the money leaves with him just like Mayweather " -Jeff Mayweather

I don't think that's true there will be a slight downtime but eventually another superstar will be born

jeff probably has first-hand experience with a young and green spence who has only gotten much better. rumors are that errol fuked up broner three years ago and mayweather kicked spence out of his gym after giving floyd a black eye in sparring when he was training for the rg fight.

jeff probably has first-hand experience with a young and green spence who has only gotten much better. rumors are that errol fuked up broner three years ago and mayweather kicked spence out of his gym after giving floyd a black eye in sparring when he was training for the rg fight.
I dont think those are rumors. I think those have been confirmed....
Maybe RR can stop by with info on this.

Also, I think the UK is proving that to be wrong. They are making stars across the pond and having impressive paydays. Joshua is going to be a megastar if he beats Klitchko. Still dont know if hes the next great thing boxing wise. But heavyweight is so weak that they could Ronda Rousey him.

PPV is a dying medium, so its going to disappear in a few years time regardless. But there will be new stars to replace Canelo and Floyd, even if the money isn't as inflated as before.

The problem is that it takes a while to build stars and HBO won't put that effort in anymore.

If selling 300k buys on PPV makes somebody a superstar then boxing might as well cut off life support now.

UFC fans don't throw fighters under the bus like boxing fans, LOL I just saw somebody over half a century old main event against some union worker, let's not lecture.
Who over 50 main evented on anything apart from lollerskates tv and who watched it?

B-Hop did and you know it, you're literally excluding anything that doesn't fit your false agenda. Move along old man.
Oh sorry, I was talking about fights people gave a flying fuck about. I have no agenda, I watch combat sports, you spank it to joe rogan promos, major difference.

The problem is that it takes a while to build stars and HBO won't put that effort in anymore.
Isnt that more of the fault of the promoters and promotional companies? Not the network?

Isnt that more of the fault of the promoters and promotional companies? Not the network?
When HBO is cutting the budget and makng Terrence Crawford fight on PPV before anyone really knows who he is?

The promoters can't do much when fans have to pay out the ass just to see a fight.

Well it would have been years ago but the business changed the responsibility was placed on the networks

But now it's shifting back to the promoters which I feel in the long run will be good

We will start having more grass roots promoting and that only helps boxing

If selling 300k buys on PPV makes somebody a superstar then boxing might as well cut off life support now.
Welcome to the boxing forum glad to see new fans

Since 2017 has been a hot year for boxing seeing more fans posting

This is a good sign

Well it would have been years ago but the business changed the responsibility was placed on the networks

But now it's shifting back to the promoters which I feel in the long run will be good

We will start having more grass roots promoting and that only helps boxing
Can you give an example of a network doing as such????
I have always been under the impression that its the greedy promoters trying to pass the bag off to the networks.

A lot of canelo's star power was built off of the mayweather fight and the audience that brought. And mayweather built off DLH and others, don't really see any up and comers that will be able to build off Canelo. Ward has proven record alone isn't enough to attract casual $ because casuals are the difference between 200k and 1 million ppv buys

When HBO is cutting the budget and makng Terrence Crawford fight on PPV before anyone really knows who he is?

The promoters can't do much when fans have to pay out the ass just to see a fight.
Is putting somebody on premium HBO (or Showtime) enough to make them stars? I am under the impression it takes a lot more marketing and promoting than that. I don't think that's the difference maker.
Would it help? Well it couldn't hurt. Might be beneficial. But heck look at PBC. That's the ultimate version of what your referring to. So far it hasn't really been a "star maker" or house hold name maker.
I would argue its up to the promoters to get people to want to pay to see the fights. That's literally their job.

Back