Canelo goes back in a time machine to face GGG

m96jjd.jpg

They're called weight classes not height classes, so what next Floyd and Canelo are the same size too? Lol

<DisgustingHHH> Canelo is not a big guy no matter which way you measure. The fact is that GGG was the bigger man and got walked down and beat at his own game. Deal with it.

Stop playing games with yourself, he lost.

GGG was always over rated so no difference. GGG hasn't gotten old so much as he started to not fight bums.

It would be a close fight. That's what they do.

I think a prime golovkin wins, unless its a golden boy promotion in Vegas. Hes not stopping or dominating Canelo at any point in his career, and I think Canelo gets the benefit of the doubt on any close fight. I've no issue with the results of their fights but I favoured GGG just in both

m96jjd.jpg

{<doc} I remember GGG fighting tiny ass Kell Brook, who was actually lighting him up until his face caved in...

Not really relevant considering he got his face caved in! Its like digging out Canelo for being outboxed by Khan, until he took his soul.

Who was saying he was in his prime in that fight? I think he did what he had to do, but didn't look young, I think he got tagged pretty hard in the first round if I remember actually.

The majority of people didn't say GGG looked old ,

m96jjd.jpg

Not really relevant considering he got his face caved in! Its like digging out Canelo for being outboxed by Khan, until he took his soul.

<Y2JSmirk> The being tiny was the relevant part. Khan is a good boxer, but could't handle the Canelo power. If Khan vs Brook ever happens we will see who was the better opponent. I say Khan. especially since Canelo is tiny himself to begin with. A GGG was huge compared to Brook.

Last edited:
m96jjd.jpg

<Y2JSmirk> The being tiny was the relevant part. Khan is a good boxer, but could't handle the Canelo power. If Khan vs Brook ever happens we will see who was the better opponent. I saw Khan. especially since Canelo is tiny himself to begin with. A GGG was huge compared to Brook.

Khan vs brook won’t happen imo dude. It should’ve been 2-3 years ago, both these guys are potentially broken. Khan looked poor in his last fight. it would have been competitive, and a very good fight. I think brook smashes now

m96jjd.jpg

Khan vs brook won’t happen imo dude. It should’ve been 2-3 years ago, both these guys are potentially broken. Khan looked poor in his last fight. it would have been competitive, and a very good fight. I think brook smashes now

I think Khan is focused on trying to have a go with Many before he retires. Many is the bigger payday, so makes sense. Which is why everyone wants to fight Canelo around his weight class. Well, he has the belts now too. But even before he didn't.

At a certain point you don't need a belt, like Mayweather. The purse is the prize. That's why Canelo let the IBO belt go, because - just who gives a fuk ??

If this was the GGG we saw vs Geale/Proksa/Macklin, I think he beats Canelo in an 8-4 or 9-3 decision that probably ends up an MD for GGG. Golovkin has clearly gotten worse over time whereas Canelo has clearly gotten better. At his peak, GGG was a more defensively responsible boxer, had better stamina, was a bit faster, had more pop to his shot, used a more diverse arsenal of punches, and wasn't trying to force his "Mexican style" bullshit (IMO he got worse under Sanchez). That's not to say that Canelo wouldn't have his moments, but even the best Canelo we've seen yet was still taking a past his best GGG to a highly competitive MD. It's hard to see Canelo beating a peak GGG.

It's entirely possible we haven't seen Canelo at his best yet, so I might change my mind depending on what we see vs other MWs, but even the Canelo we saw the other night still isn't good enough for 2013-2014 GGG IMO.

If this was the GGG we saw vs Geale/Proksa/Macklin, I think he beats Canelo in an 8-4 or 9-3 decision that probably ends up an MD for GGG. Golovkin has clearly gotten worse over time whereas Canelo has clearly gotten better. At his peak, GGG was a more defensively responsible boxer, had better stamina, was a bit faster, had more pop to his shot, used a more diverse arsenal of punches, and wasn't trying to force his "Mexican style" bullshit (IMO he got worse under Sanchez). That's not to say that Canelo wouldn't have his moments, but even the best Canelo we've seen yet was still taking a past his best GGG to a highly competitive MD. It's hard to see Canelo beating a peak GGG.

It's entirely possible we haven't seen Canelo at his best yet, so I might change my mind depending on what we see vs other MWs, but even the Canelo we saw the other night still isn't good enough for 2013-2014 GGG IMO.
Because he ran through Geale, Proska, and Macklin, you think he comfortably beats Canelo?! Who the fuck are THOSE guys? I mean, I watched some of those fights live, but I dont feel that was some super destroyer version of GGG, was just an untested version. When he faced Jacobs, I personally thought he got the L, but is what it is... still, the level up in comp affecting him was obvious. Look what he did to Vanes who was easily a Willie Monroe Jr level type of fighter.

Because he ran through Geale, Proska, and Macklin, you think he comfortably beats Canelo?! Who the fuck are THOSE guys? I mean, I watched some of those fights live, but I dont feel that was some super destroyer version of GGG, was just an untested version. When he faced Jacobs, I personally thought he got the L, but is what it is... still, the level up in comp affecting him was obvious. Look what he did to Vanes who was easily a Willie Monroe Jr level type of fighter.
no, not because he beat those guys, I used them as a time stamp (though they are solid fighters).

Because he took a peak Canelo to a very close contentious decision while clearly past his best. If you don't think GGG has declined, as has been noted by pretty much everybody, I don't know what to tell you. He's declined in literally every category: power, chin, speed, boxing skills. Everything. You can't tell me you think the GGG that showed up the other night, or vs Martirosyan is GGG at his best. That's absurd.

I don't think it's outrageous to give Jacobs the decision vs GGG. But we haven't seen Jacobs vs Canelo, and I have hte feeling that would be a tough fight for Nelo.

Canelo could keep improving so it's a bit unfair for people to start "prime vs prime" type conversations now, we have to wait and see how Canelo matures before making calls on that.

Something could be said for Golovkin having better stamina in years past as fighters tend to lose their stamina a bit once they hit their mid 30s. Even if Golovkin has never been known for speed, being slightly faster and having sharper reflexes certainly wouldn't hurt. Assuming Golovkin was a bit younger, I'd probably give him a slight edge against the Canelo we saw on the weekend, but with the way they match up, it's very difficult to see anything but a close fight.

It's entirely likely that Canelo has not yet peaked. He's clearly getting better every time out, and his stamina was the best it has ever been, as well (which I think is a combination of him dropping mass, better conserving his energy, and being more mentally prepared for having a killer like Golovkin in front of him all night).

Agree with this, it was a very physically gruelling fight all the way through and it seemed to me that Canelo was fading for parts of the latter half. A younger GGG with more stamina would've been able to take better advantage and claim an extra round or two which would've swayed the decision.

Also, GGG looks more hittable than he once was so I think his defensive skills have slipped over time. He wasn't really in there with anyone who could punish him for it though until lately.

Canelo could keep improving so it's a bit unfair for people to start "prime vs prime" type conversations now, we have to wait and see how Canelo matures before making calls on that.

Agree with this, it was a very physically gruelling fight all the way through and it seemed to me that Canelo was fading for parts of the latter half. A younger GGG with more stamina would've been able to take better advantage and claim an extra round or two which would've swayed the decision.

Also, GGG looks more hittable than he once was so I think his defensive skills have slipped over time. He wasn't really in there with anyone who could punish him for it though until lately.

Yeah, it's tough to properly gauge how much Golovkin has declined because until he fought Jacobs, he hadn't faced a genuinely elite and talented MW. The shame is that he obviously isn't to blame for that (a weak MW era coupled with several good fighters blatantly avoiding him were). He's a what-if in that sense, but even with the question marks, he has built a great career.

Who was GGG fighting at 27 years of age?

The skill level isnt even comparable

m96jjd.jpg

I think Khan is focused on trying to have a go with Many before he retires. Many is the bigger payday, so makes sense. Which is why everyone wants to fight Canelo around his weight class. Well, he has the belts now too. But even before he didn't.

At a certain point you don't need a belt, like Mayweather. The purse is the prize. That's why Canelo let the IBO belt go, because - just who gives a fuk ??

Yeah it makes sense for khan financially, no doubt. The brook fight is only Big domestically. he’s also less likely to be rendered unconscious against manny, though that’s still fairly possible. I’ve no issues with him chasing that fight. Either fight will be good in all fairness

Yeah it makes sense for khan financially, no doubt. The brook fight is only Big domestically. he’s also less likely to be rendered unconscious against manny, though that’s still fairly possible. I’ve no issues with him chasing that fight. Either fight will be good in all fairness

where is the news that Alvarez let go of the IBO? lol

Back