Canelo - GGG

Status
Not open for further replies.
GGG is on the wrong side of his prime. Canelo has a slight edge with speed and if it's close the points will always lean Canelo.

If this fight was 2 years ago I'd pick GGG all day but I think Canelo has improved enough and GGG has declined to the point where it's possible for a Canelo victory here.

Im giving a slight edge to GGG. I dont care who wins though.
Usually, with 2 highly skilled fighters I'll favor the bigger guy.

do you think canelo is pillow fisted? Golovkin doesn't like being punched in the face back. Only Antonio Margarito seems to like it.

It reminds me of good old Jorge "la locomotora" Castro. The guy had a disturbing addiction to punches in his face.

It reminds me of good old Jorge "la locomotora" Castro. The guy had a disturbing addiction to punches in his face.

Brandon Rios seems to enjoy the head trauma as well.

who you picking in this fight?

In order to win, Canelo is going to have to fight 3 minutes of every round. He has shown an increased ability to do that in recent years (and maybe the stamina criticisms were overstated in the first place). I think it will be difficult for Canelo to keep up with GGG's workrate though, especially if they start exchanging.

So Canelo's best bet is to go to GGG's body, and force GGG to be the one to take the breaks. Canelo is obviously capable of that, but will he continue a commitment to body work when he starts eating counters? He might have to leave himself a bit open to get that body work in, so a big part of this comes down to how comfortable he is taking the power in return.

Canelo's best opponents have been smaller guys, and his worst opponents have been bigger. That does not inspire confidence leading up to the GGG fight.

So a few years ago I would have picked GGG without hesitation, but Canelo has gotten bigger and a whole lot better over the last few years while GGG has started to show some age. I'm still going with GGG, but it's close to 50-50 in my mind now.

I'll even predict that the fight is a 6-6 type of fight, with GGG landing a knockdown to pull ahead on the cards. One thing I'll say is that Canelo better not lean on the ropes like he tends to do from time to time. He could find himself in seriously trouble doing that against a guy like GGG, even if he is able to slip and block most of the punches.

I'll even predict that the fight is a 6-6 type of fight, with GGG landing a knockdown to pull ahead on the cards. One thing I'll say is that Canelo better not lean on the ropes like he tends to do from time to time. He could find himself in seriously trouble doing that against a guy like GGG, even if he is able to slip and block most of the punches.
He always does that though. He ends up with his back on the ropes in every fight. Its literally the one thing that is making me hesitant to pick him. He'll get torn up if he tries to work off the ropes here, I think.

He always does that though. He ends up with his back on the ropes in every fight. Its literally the one thing that is making me hesitant to pick him. He'll get torn up if he tries to work off the ropes here, I think.

I agree, and with a guy like GGG who is capable of pushing anyone back and cutting off the ring well, I don't see how Canelo suddenly completely avoids that.

In order to win, Canelo is going to have to fight 3 minutes of every round. He has shown an increased ability to do that in recent years (and maybe the stamina criticisms were overstated in the first place). I think it will be difficult for Canelo to keep up with GGG's workrate though, especially if they start exchanging.

So Canelo's best bet is to go to GGG's body, and force GGG to be the one to take the breaks. Canelo is obviously capable of that, but will he continue a commitment to body work when he starts eating counters? He might have to leave himself a bit open to get that body work in, so a big part of this comes down to how comfortable he is taking the power in return.

Canelo's best opponents have been smaller guys, and his worst opponents have been bigger. That does not inspire confidence leading up to the GGG fight.

So a few years ago I would have picked GGG without hesitation, but Canelo has gotten bigger and a whole lot better over the last few years while GGG has started to show some age. I'm still going with GGG, but it's close to 50-50 in my mind now.

Great breakdown. I was almost on the same track of thinking with canelo but I came to the realization that his last few opponents have hoodwinked me. Kirkland, amir. the guy he fought in dallas, jc jr were not high caliber of opponents and I had given me a false sense of what canelo is. Canelo is great but his last few opponents haven't given me any indication that he could deal with GGG and ultimately I went with GGG.

Great breakdown. I was almost on the same track of thinking with canelo but I came to the realization that his last few opponents have hoodwinked me. Kirkland, amir. the guy he fought in dallas, jc jr were not high caliber of opponents and I had given me a false sense of what canelo is. Canelo is great but his last few opponents haven't given me any indication that he could deal with GGG and ultimately I went with GGG.

Yeah, I mean Canelo has a really good resume for a guy his age, don't get me wrong. At a glance it looks like he's been in there with a little bit of everything.

It's just that when you look closely, you see that the best opponents he fought were on the smaller side (Cotto, Mayweather, Lara, Khan) while the big guys he fought were kinda crap (Kirkland, Angulo, Chavez Jr). So it just kinda leaves a few questions there.

I think people are actually going to be surprised by the lack of size difference though. Canelo has been every bit as heavy as GGG for a few years, and he appears to have actually gained weight. Based on weight, I think he may actually be the bigger guy on fight night.

I agree, and with a guy like GGG who is capable of pushing anyone back and cutting off the ring well, I don't see how Canelo suddenly completely avoids that.
Punch him in the kidney.

do you think canelo is pillow fisted? Golovkin doesn't like being punched in the face back. Only Antonio Margarito seems to like it.

I don't think he's pillow fisted but I think that Jacobs and Brook probably hit harder. And GGG took those fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DREDATORXXXXL
Back