Canelo and the WBC

LangfordBarrow

StickAndMove
Platinum Member
Reaction score
The WBC used to be notorious for bending the rules for Mexican fighters, even assigning friendly judges, so I for one was surprised when they followed the rules leading up to the Canelo vs GGG mandatory.

Now it looks like Canelo has his panties in a twist and is trying to intimidate the WBC and send a message to the other orgs that it's his way or no future sanctioning fees.

I'm not sure what the final terms are for his fight against GGG but I doubt it's just the 10% he was originally trying to force. It seemed to me he was the one being unreasonable in the negotiations, even going so far as to want a one year delay, yet expecting the WBC to go along with his wishes.

Hopefully the WBC continues to follow the rules equally for all, and the other orgs follow suit, instead of regressing back to when their decisions were based on nationalistic biases and placing the generation of sanctioning fees above all other considerations.

Am I alone in these thoughts, does Canelo seem to be adopting a Trumpian scorched earth approach against the WBC?

Saul already told the WBC to fuck off and that he dont want shit to do with them. They are the one trying to get him to carry their belt and so they should pay him to or face the fact that he told them to fuck off and they should fuck off. There no rule that a fighter HAS to rep a Org.

Saul already told the WBC to fuck off and that he dont want shit to do with them. They are the one trying to get him to carry their belt and so they should pay him to or face the fact that he told them to fuck off and they should fuck off. There no rule that a fighter HAS to rep a Org.
Yes, I realize that, what I'm saying is that it seems to stem from his expecting them to allow him to play by his own rules to the detriment of others.

Yes, I realize that, what I'm saying is that it seems to stem from his expecting them to allow him to play by his own rules to the detriment of others.

How does what he does effect other. they have the right to choose if they want to rep that belt and pay the fees if they want. The belt can be on the line for just 1 fighter.

How does what he does effect other. they have the right to choose if they want to rep that belt and pay the fees if they want. The belt can be on the line for just 1 fighter.
The WBC has rules regarding purse splits for mandatory fights. Canelo wanted a better deal but they told him he had to follow the rules. He subsequently dropped their belt and has disassociated himself from further dealing with them. Does this send a message to the other orgs that he'll do the same to them if they don't allow him to dictate his terms?

The WBC has rules regarding purse splits for mandatory fights. Canelo wanted a better deal but they told him he had to follow the rules. He subsequently dropped their belt and has disassociated himself from further dealing with them. Does this send a message to the other orgs that he'll do the same to them if they don't allow him to dictate his terms?

Basicly it does. Saul doesnt HAVE to rep any of them and if they want him, they gonna have to do it under he terms. Which shouldnt be a big deal IMO. He can be Ring champ without the belts. What if he beats GGG and say he dont want to hold any of the belts. Do you think anyone would care. The Real Fans know who is the Champ.

Dont get me wrong I love the belts and thinks fighters should go get all of them.

Back