Canelo and his Head Turning

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
Is it me or Canelo really exaggerates turning his head away from the punch, as to look away from punch, to dodge punches, and also when he gets hit by the punches?

Maybe Canelo is really good at rolling with the punches, not that he has a granite chin like some claim, or both.

That might have been one of the hardest things to get in his muscle memory so now its a habit to exagerrate it. Early in his career he didnt roll shit.

I noticed it as well but maybe an exaggerated movement is what he needs to roll out the way

Yeah I've noticed it as well, I've put it down to rolling with the punch but with the chin.
I remember years ago watching a clip with Fenech training Tyson something similar using a medicine ball.
It's nothing special, I'd rather slip and keep the eyes on the opponent.

What’s your point?

Just odd to me how much he turns his head literally in the direction of the punch all the way, I don't really see anyone else doing it to that degree

He has memorized a bad technique. Saw him turning his head in a weird way many times when golovkin was feinting. He ate some bombs doing this rolling shit and was not taking away any power from the punch. It's just that some guys will never be good defensive boxers. He is an animal in combination punching tho.

He has memorized a bad technique. Saw him turning his head in a weird way many times when golovkin was feinting. He ate some bombs doing this rolling shit and was not taking away any power from the punch. It's just that some guys will never be good defensive boxers. He is an animal in combination punching tho.

I am confused tho. Is it really a bad technique, the guys posted above didnt seem to think so and I am not knowledgeble about high level boxing enough to comment either way but it looks real cool when it works but i thought you wanted to keep your eyes on the opponent etc

Just odd to me how much he turns his head literally in the direction of the punch all the way, I don't really see anyone else doing it to that degree
look up Yoshihiro Kamegai

I am confused tho. Is it really a bad technique, the guys posted above didnt seem to think so and I am not knowledgeble about high level boxing enough to comment either way but it looks real cool when it works but i thought you wanted to keep your eyes on the opponent etc

Don't worry. No one is here a high level boxing expert. We just chat as fans about whatever we want.

It's a great technique if you can keep your chin tucked and roll your head as your jaw is held back. I saw Canelo often rolling with his chin in the air not activating his neck flexors. That was dangerous but it was good for him in this fight because Golovkin throws only arm punches nowadays with his right.

Don't worry. No one is here a high level boxing expert. We just chat as fans about whatever we want.

It's a great technique if you can keep your chin tucked and roll your head as your jaw is held back. I saw Canelo often rolling with his chin in the air not activating his neck flexors. That was dangerous but it was good for him in this fight because Golovkin throws only arm punches nowadays with his right.

well wouldn't that slow you down though if you use neck flexors while you rotate the head

well wouldn't that slow you down though if you use neck flexors while you rotate the head

It would. But it's not about how fast you rotate it's about timing. Let Canelo try this once against Bhop and see how he forgets his weird Parkinson's disease twisting shit.

It's a very advanced technique usually used by Mexican boxers. If you have your opponents timing down, faith in your chin, and crazy/balls of steel, you can pull it off and it allows you to counter more quickly than rolling your entire body. It can be a little demoralizing as well since it gives the impression that your punch landed but didn't do much. That being said, it does take alot of the sting off of a punch if the guy isn't used to punching/falling through the target. Even if they do punch through, it can effectively turn a hard punch into more of a push as you can rotate with the punch as well.

It may actually work for him, rolling isn’t the only thing canelo exagerates, every little thing other boxers do canelo tends to do it in a flashier more slow mo worthy fashion and it is easier for a judge to see he slipped a punch that way. Some fighters are so fucking good at rolling that sometimes you thought they actually got hit

He's been in with some pretty good punchers and has never been down. Seems like it works.

Mosley was washed up but he could still crack. Cotto was on a tear. And then there’s Golovkin. Some of the shots Canelo ate would have put a lot of guys out.

Saul is doing something right by my estimation too.

Back