Canadians, what are your thoughts on M-103?

First img of this bitch, oh she's kinda cute
iqra-khalid-lib.jpg

Then, her latest photo
image.jpg

Do they give free Walrus BBQ in Canada Parliment or something? holy shit, fuck caring anymore about this Racist, m103 garbage.
LOL I was gonna say

WTF happened to her?

The death threats are probably being sent by progressives so the liberals can pass their ridiculous motion through appeals to emotion.

My concern is that it will start as a motion and then grow into something larger. The Muslims and the progressives who bend over for them will not stop at a motion. This is just the beginning of something more sinister. It should be stopped before it can grow into something worse.

Attitudes like this are the reason motions like M-103 are being supported in the first place.

Looked into it, still don't care as it's not even worth talking about really. Just seems like a waste of money and time by the government.

The only people who seem to be concerned about this are the fear mongering far right who are scared of all the things this motion can't do. Talk about stifling free speech. Like you said, it's a motion, not a bill or a law and all it does is ask the Commons to condemn Islamophobia (so brave) and requests -- not orders, but requests that the Commons committee study the subject.

Seems like most of the concern is over the inclusion of the word "Islamophobia". I didn't hear this same concern last October when the Conservative Party along with the other parties unanimously endorsed a motion that "condemned all forms of Islamophobia."

Then you weren't listening last October. Also I like your take on how its only a motion - NO BIG DEAL, take a little from here, take a little from there. No one will ever notice!! How do you think oppression of free speech starts exactly? What, one day its free the next its not?

Some general thoughts and questions on laws of this nature -

There are already laws in place to punish and discourage people from committing criminal acts, so why add special clauses due to motivation? "Hate" laws don't make sense and just muddy the waters. To me, it seems like they border on thought policing.

Do we really want to go down the slippery slope of protecting ideologies? I mean, yes, people should be protected from being singled out for their identities up to a certain point, but their choices should be open to criticism. Should every religion and belief system get the same special status and treatment? How do we pick and choose who's afforded the extra protection?

I think proposals like this serve to divide, and as a whole spit in the face of free speech and exchange of ideas. It's the sort of bullshit thats protected both the clergy and royalty back in the day.

Tl/dr - fuck all that noise

Couldn't agree more, I'm so ashamed of myself for voting Liberal.

I think the reaction against it is wildly overblown.

First of all, it's a motion, not a bill. No laws are changed by it.

Second of all, the notion of "combating Islamaphobia" doesn't have to be limited to "taking away free speech". People are jumping to conclusions that they could only mean criminalizing speaking out against Islam, when that's never once been said by anyone. Combating Islamaphobia can mean things like public awareness campaigns about who Muslims are and what Islam is about.

People are inserting their own meaning as to what they think this motion even is. Dumb asses like the Rebel are calling this step one to instituting Sharia Law. As a former lawyer Ezra Levant should be fucking ashamed at how piss poor his understanding of Canadian constitutional law is to even remotely consider that ever being a real possibility here.

The fact that this MP is receiving death threats pretty much proves Islamaphobia is in fact a problem here. I'm not against taking measures to address that problem, and on its face nothing in this motion suggests that anyone's rights are being infringed.

Sangreporangre echoed a lot my thoughts on this matter in his response but I would also like to add that we do live in a country that has fined multiple comedians for telling jokes (in bad taste or not is not the issue). Don't you think people rightfully fear for eventual encroachment of freedom of speech on this issue. Let's not forget this is not a benign religion towards western values historically or in the modern day.

Looked into it, still don't care as it's not even worth talking about really. Just seems like a waste of money and time by the government.

The only people who seem to be concerned about this are the fear mongering far right who are scared of all the things this motion can't do. Talk about stifling free speech. Like you said, it's a motion, not a bill or a law and all it does is ask the Commons to condemn Islamophobia (so brave) and requests -- not orders, but requests that the Commons committee study the subject.

Seems like most of the concern is over the inclusion of the word "Islamophobia". I didn't hear this same concern last October when the Conservative Party along with the other parties unanimously endorsed a motion that "condemned all forms of Islamophobia."

Well thanks for your input. The motion back in October did receive some media play, not nearly as much as this one of course. If you'll remember, the Conservatives actually voted against it earlier in the month but by the end of the month it went through unanimously. It was more of a symbolic condemnation of Islamophobia, whatever the heck that is. I mean personally, I think if politicians want to condemn something they should use their Twitter accounts. But ok, condemn Islamophobia. Fine. What I find really concerning about this one is some of the language in the motion. Like:

• Make recommendations the government can use to better reflect the enshrined rights and freedoms in the Constitution acts, including the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Muslims have protection under the Charter and all existing legislation, so what concerns me is what these recommendations are going to be. What further steps should the government take to fight Islamophobia? Let's be honest, they're not gonna go through all this and then come back and say that it turns out Islamophobia isn't a big deal after all. They're definitely gonna be making some recommendations. What kind of things do you think they'll come up with? And what do you think of Trudeau's comment that I posted in the OP?

I would like to advise any Canadians who don't agree with this to contact their MP and voice their concerns. After educating yourself on it, of course. Don't call up your MP and start screaming about Sharia law. I contacted my MP but since she's Liberal and Muslim I know where she stands on the issue. But I won't be silent.

This is absolutely ridiculous, Canada is probably THE most tolerant country in the world and this woman is actually bitching about it? In 2009 when Trudeau was an MP he actually objected to a Canadian Citizenship manual, because it used the term "barbaric" when the manual referred to Honor killings, and female genital mutilation. This guy is so far to the left, that he is his own worst enemy. Obama on his second term in office brought the US so far to the left, that people reacted and elected his antithesis, Donald Trump. As much as Obama hates Trump, it is Obama and his cronies own fault for getting the guy elected. I see the same thing happening to Canada.

The government should be doing something useful with their time and money like building canoe sheds

Sangreporangre echoed a lot my thoughts on this matter in his response but I would also like to add that we do live in a country that has fined multiple comedians for telling jokes (in bad taste or not is not the issue). Don't you think people rightfully fear for eventual encroachment of freedom of speech on this issue. Let's not forget this is not a benign religion towards western values historically or in the modern day.

Well let's deal with those problems when they arise then is my opinion. If and when the government starts overstepping and trampling on individual rights that should be opposed. But for now we're not there yet, and it's disingenuous to jump way ahead ourselves to act like that's what M-103 does.

I think it's terrible. Every other religion isn't free from criticism, I don't see why Islam needs special treatment. I hope Canadians do the right thing, and this bill crashes and burns.

I think it is silly and dangerous. So do my Muslim neighbours.

Couldn't agree more, I'm so ashamed of myself for voting Liberal.

Don't be. The Cons did a great job losing the position they had, the NDP ran a disaster of a campaign, and the Libs made a lot of promises and ran a very positive campaign and really were the best choice at the time,

Attitudes like this are the reason motions like M-103 are being supported in the first place.

What attitude? Reading hate mail is just a political tactic (an appeal to emotion) to get people behind the motion. Nobody knows who actually sent those e-mails and hateful e-mails are irrelevant when it comes to the matter regarding if the motion should be passed or not.

Canada already has laws in place to punish people for discriminating against others. There is also the corrupt human rights commission that looks into matters of racism and discrimination. Why do we need a redundant motion telling people something they already know is wrong?

Do you really think the progressives are going to stop at a motion? Progressives are obsessed with identity politics and will keep pushing this divisive nonsense until all reasonable and legitimate criticism of their pet minority groups is considered hate speech

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know. Let's see if the study proposed by M-103 can come up with a solution?

I notice you never responded to the questions I posed to you in my other post. What do you think about what Trudeau said in that quote I included in the OP? You know, the "fire in a crowded theatre" bit. And in your opinion, do you think that Muslim advocacy/lobbying groups will be satisfied with an official condemnation by Parliament and an anti-Islamophobia advertising campaign? Or do you think they might want to take it a bit further?

Here's an opinion piece from today's Toronto Sun. I'm not a fan of that paper, it's just a right-wing tabloid (to quote my old man: "the Star is a left-wing rag and the Sun is a right-wing rag, but at least the Sun has a hot broad every day and a decent sports section") but I can't really find any fault with what she wrote here:

I’m a liberal Muslim and I reject M-103

The most damaging assault by Islamic fundamentalists on Western values – and indeed Western civilization itself – is in the realm of free speech.

There have been attempts to quash free speech right here in Canada.

The Canadian Islamic Congress objected to Mark Steyn’s book America Alone, and Calgary imam Syed Soharwardy actually filed a human rights complaint against former Sun News Network host Ezra Levant for publishing the prophet Mohammad’s cartoons back in 2006.

Privately, a handful of liberal Muslims endure a daily barrage of angry emails because they challenge the obscurantism that characterizes radical Islam.

When we challenge a certain Islamic practice, we are careful to exclude the moderate majority and focus our attention on a small segment of the Muslim community. Yet some claim that even such discussion conflates the radicals with the moderates.

If Khalid believes such discussions include all Muslims, she is unwittingly admitting that all Muslims are indeed like the fundamentalists.

Khalid is mistaken if she believes any rational discussion on Islamic practice castigates all Muslims. She must understand that any well-intentioned and constructive discussion on a religious practice or ideology is a fundamental right of every Canadian.

There is no phobia of Islam in Canada. There is genuine resentment toward orthodox Islam. But it has little to do with the usual public discourse.

Some practices, whether we discuss them in public or not, are commonly known to be associated with orthodox Islam, such as polygamy, wife battery and ostracism of religious minorities.

It is up to moderate Muslims to distance themselves from these outrages as much as possible. So far no robust public challenge to such practices has emerged from moderate segments of the community.

Without such a grassroots challenge any social observer, professional or amateur, can form any opinion on orthodox Islam, whether positive or negative.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/02/16/im-a-liberal-muslim-and-i-reject-m103

Hate speech is NOT free speech.

Derp derp something something.

Side note to all of this.....this heritage minister of ours, Melanie Joy. How am I supposed to take someone serious who can't even roll up the goddamn sleeves on their shirt correctly?

joly-and-khalid-on-m-103.jpg

joly-on-m-103.jpg

Back