Canadians, what are your thoughts on M-103?

sangreporsangre

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So the big controversy up here is the motion M-103, proposed by a Liberal MP named Iqra Khalid. I know that most of the people who post on here aren't exactly the biggest fans of the religion of peace, even Canadians, but I would like to hear from some of you guys your take on this motion, and what you think may follow it. First off, we need to make it clear that it isn't a bill, it isn't a law, it's just a motion. It's purpose is to have the government task the heritage committee to:

• Carry out a study on how to develop a whole-of-government approach to reducing or eliminating systemic racism and religious discrimination including Islamophobia in Canada, while ensuring a community-centred focus with a holistic response through evidence-based policy-making.
  • To collect data to contextualize hate crime reports and to conduct needs assessments for impacted communities, and present its findings and recommendations to the House no later than 240 calendar days from the adoption of this motion.
  • Make recommendations the government can use to better reflect the enshrined rights and freedoms in the Constitution acts, including the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Another thing to point out is that the motion was tabled back in December, well before the mosque shooting. It just gained a lot of traction after that horrifying attack, obviously. So, as far as I see it, it seems on the face of it innocent enough. But I don't like it one bit. I believe that they are beginning the process of instituting blasphemy laws. I have no doubt that all the data they supposedly collect will lead them to make that recommendation. Our beloved PM Justin made a comment that I found to be chilling:

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was asked about M-103 during a town hall meeting in Yellowknife Friday, with a participant questioning how the motion squares with Trudeau's claim to be a feminist. The questioner said by referencing Islamaphobia, M-103 risks silencing voices critical of oppressive practices rooted in Sharia law.

In a seven-minute response, Trudeau said fundamental rights and freedoms are enshrined in Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms, but that individual rights must be balanced with others in our society. Determining the parameters is an ongoing discussion in a dynamic, successful society like ours, he said.

Trudeau said the motion aims to address the fact there is a community that is "particularly vulnerable these days to intolerance and discrimination."

"You're not allowed to call 'Fire!' in a crowded movie theatre and call that free speech," Trudeau said.

"That endangers our community. And as we saw 10 days ago in Quebec City, there are other things that can endanger our communities. And we need to stand strongly and firmly against that."

It's pretty straight forward what he's saying here. Keep in mind that we already have hate speech laws on the books that make calling for violence against a certain community punishable by law. So what further legislation could possibly be needed to protect Muslims specifically? The thing is, nobody associated with the motion will define what "Islamophobia" actually means. We can't actually enact legislation based on such a vague, ill-defined concept can we? Instead of an explanation we get stuff like this:

That's from Liberal MP Omar Alghabra. Notice the hashtag #makeitawkward. That seems to be the Liberal's strategy: make it awkward, frame it in a way that any opposition to this is socially unacceptable. All while declining to define what Islamophobia actually means.

I guess what bothers me the most about this is the hypocrisy, the double standard if you will (not sure if that's the best way to word it) and how so many people here are just eating this shit up. Crap like this:

Amira Elghawaby, a spokeswoman for the National Council of Canadian Muslims, called for action now.

"What happened in Quebec City was a wake-up call for the entire nation, that leaving hatred to fester in our communities can lead to the loss of life and the destruction of peoples' communities, and also the shooter himself succumbed to his hatred and acted out on the ignorance, the misinformation and the fear that he had," she said.

We've been pretty lucky with Islamic terror attacks here in Canada, aside from the one jihadi who attacked Parliament Hill and killed a soldier. But are we supposed to forget about the attempted ones because they weren't successful? Like what if that white boy jihadi from last year was able to set his bomb off in a crowded area in Toronto as he planned? What if the Toronto 18 (btw that's 17 more people than were involved in the Quebec mosque shooting) had successfully carried out their plan? Would we need the government to step in and table motions to deal with the rising Kafirphobia in Muslim communities?

Cliffs:
I don't agree with M-103. It's not a bill or a law, just a non-binding motion, but imo it's the beginning.
What do you guys think? Am I crazy here or what? Does anyone here not have a problem with this motion? Would really like to hear from some of the more left-leaning Canadian posters.

I think its pretty fucking stupid

Should we help people with a phobia?

No! Let's just make their phobia illegal.

This is also the type of shit why everyone I know that voted Liberal is saying they are not voting for them next election. I was super close to voting for them to because they actually talked about changing a lot things that I agreed with but since the election they have really gone nowhere with any of them those fucks.

I really hope Peterson continues to speak on this. He has a high profile, he can articulate opposition to this way better than a clown like I can, and best of all he doesn't give a fuck if someone is offended by his opinion. His video here is basically just addressing the elephant in the room. What the fuck does Islamophobia actually mean? I hope he goes more in-depth on it in the near future.

This is also the type of shit why everyone I know that voted Liberal is saying they are not voting for them next election. I was super close to voting for them to because they actually talked about changing a lot things that I agreed with but since the election they have really gone nowhere with any of them those fucks.

Some of the things that they literally promised - like election reform, for example - they've backed away from. But what was implicitly promised in their campaign - a ramping up of identity politics, subservience to Islamist interests - well, they've definitely followed through with that

Some of the things that they literally promised - like election reform, for example - they've backed away from. But what was implicitly promised in their campaign - a ramping up of identity politics, subservience to Islamist interests - well, they've definitely followed through with that

It seems like they have more interest in pushing their diversity policies and showing how PC they are then actually doing anything to help the country

Why does the government always need to be involved. Aren't people supposed to be smart enough to make good and bad decisions on their own? I don't need, or want government telling me what I can criticize and not talk about. As Mark Steyn said "I pay very close attention when someone is telling me to shut up."
Why is it that people always are looking for the government to intervene and tell them what they can and cant listen to?

I don't care and it doesn't seem like many others do either considering I hadn't even heard of this until I read the thread. Did a search on it, not many Canadians are even talking about it.

I don't care and it doesn't seem like many others do either considering I hadn't even heard of this until I read the thread. Did a search on it, not many Canadians are even talking about it.

Really? Not sure where you searched because it's been all over the Canadian media that I've seen. All the newspapers in Toronto, CBC, Maclean's, HuffPo Canada, etc. Why don't you look into it a bit and then come back and let us know your thoughts on it.

I've only lived in Canada for a year and half and consider myself a staunch common sense liberal so much so that I've started to really dislike this government. Freedom of speech to me is the most important value that a society can have and like TS said it's not a law but the wording of it is still too vague. There are other laws than hate speech laws that can be used to enforce the safety of minorities. We have to be able to criticize bad ideas now matter how offensive it may seem to others.

Some general thoughts and questions on laws of this nature -

There are already laws in place to punish and discourage people from committing criminal acts, so why add special clauses due to motivation? "Hate" laws don't make sense and just muddy the waters. To me, it seems like they border on thought policing.

Do we really want to go down the slippery slope of protecting ideologies? I mean, yes, people should be protected from being singled out for their identities up to a certain point, but their choices should be open to criticism. Should every religion and belief system get the same special status and treatment? How do we pick and choose who's afforded the extra protection?

I think proposals like this serve to divide, and as a whole spit in the face of free speech and exchange of ideas. It's the sort of bullshit that protected both the clergy and royalty back in the day.

Tl/dr - fuck all that noise

I think the reaction against it is wildly overblown.

First of all, it's a motion, not a bill. No laws are changed by it.

Second of all, the notion of "combating Islamaphobia" doesn't have to be limited to "taking away free speech". People are jumping to conclusions that they could only mean criminalizing speaking out against Islam, when that's never once been said by anyone. Combating Islamaphobia can mean things like public awareness campaigns about who Muslims are and what Islam is about.

People are inserting their own meaning as to what they think this motion even is. Dumb asses like the Rebel are calling this step one to instituting Sharia Law. As a former lawyer Ezra Levant should be fucking ashamed at how piss poor his understanding of Canadian constitutional law is to even remotely consider that ever being a real possibility here.

The fact that this MP is receiving death threats pretty much proves Islamaphobia is in fact a problem here. I'm not against taking measures to address that problem, and on its face nothing in this motion suggests that anyone's rights are being infringed.

You have to be kidding. This has been the feature story on every major Canadian news site and newspaper in addition to being heavily discussed on CBC and CTV.

Second of all, the notion of "combating Islamaphobia" doesn't have to be limited to "taking away free speech". People are jumping to conclusions that they could only mean criminalizing speaking out against Islam, when that's never once been said by anyone. Combating Islamaphobia can mean things like public awareness campaigns about who Muslims are and what Islam is about.

People are inserting their own meaning as to what they think this motion even is. Dumb asses like the Rebel are calling this step one to instituting Sharia Law. As a former lawyer Ezra Levant should be fucking ashamed at how piss poor his understanding of Canadian constitutional law is to even remotely consider that ever being a real possibility here.

The fact that this MP is receiving death threats pretty much proves Islamaphobia is in fact a problem here. I'm not against taking measures to address that problem, and on its face nothing in this motion suggests that anyone's rights are being infringed.

The death threats are probably being sent by progressives so the liberals can pass their ridiculous motion through appeals to emotion.

My concern is that it will start as a motion and then grow into something larger. The Muslims and the progressives who bend over for them will not stop at a motion. This is just the beginning of something more sinister. It should be stopped before it can grow into something worse.

So the big controversy up here is the motion M-103, proposed by a Liberal MP named Iqra Khalid. I know that most of the people who post on here aren't exactly the biggest fans of the religion of peace, even Canadians, but I would like to hear from some of you guys your take on this motion, and what you think may follow it. First off, we need to make it clear that it isn't a bill, it isn't a law, it's just a motion. It's purpose is to have the government task the heritage committee to:

• Carry out a study on how to develop a whole-of-government approach to reducing or eliminating systemic racism and religious discrimination including Islamophobia in Canada, while ensuring a community-centred focus with a holistic response through evidence-based policy-making.
  • To collect data to contextualize hate crime reports and to conduct needs assessments for impacted communities, and present its findings and recommendations to the House no later than 240 calendar days from the adoption of this motion.
  • Make recommendations the government can use to better reflect the enshrined rights and freedoms in the Constitution acts, including the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Another thing to point out is that the motion was tabled back in December, well before the mosque shooting. It just gained a lot of traction after that horrifying attack, obviously. So, as far as I see it, it seems on the face of it innocent enough. But I don't like it one bit. I believe that they are beginning the process of instituting blasphemy laws. I have no doubt that all the data they supposedly collect will lead them to make that recommendation. Our beloved PM Justin made a comment that I found to be chilling:

It's pretty straight forward what he's saying here. Keep in mind that we already have hate speech laws on the books that make calling for violence against a certain community punishable by law. So what further legislation could possibly be needed to protect Muslims specifically? The thing is, nobody associated with the motion will define what "Islamophobia" actually means. We can't actually enact legislation based on such a vague, ill-defined concept can we? Instead of an explanation we get stuff like this:

That's from Liberal MP Omar Alghabra. Notice the hashtag #makeitawkward. That seems to be the Liberal's strategy: make it awkward, frame it in a way that any opposition to this is socially unacceptable. All while declining to define what Islamophobia actually means.

I guess what bothers me the most about this is the hypocrisy, the double standard if you will (not sure if that's the best way to word it) and how so many people here are just eating this shit up. Crap like this:

We've been pretty lucky with Islamic terror attacks here in Canada, aside from the one jihadi who attacked Parliament Hill and killed a soldier. But are we supposed to forget about the attempted ones because they weren't successful? Like what if that white boy jihadi from last year was able to set his bomb off in a crowded area in Toronto as he planned? What if the Toronto 18 (btw that's 17 more people than were involved in the Quebec mosque shooting) had successfully carried out their plan? Would we need the government to step in and table motions to deal with the rising Kafirphobia in Muslim communities?

Cliffs:
I don't agree with M-103. It's not a bill or a law, just a non-binding motion, but imo it's the beginning.
What do you guys think? Am I crazy here or what? Does anyone here not have a problem with this motion? Would really like to hear from some of the more left-leaning Canadian posters.

First img of this bitch, oh she's kinda cute
iqra-khalid-lib.jpg

Then, her latest photo
image.jpg

Do they give free Walrus BBQ in Canada Parliment or something? holy shit, fuck caring anymore about this Racist, m103 garbage.

Yes there is definitely some misinformation going around that this is a bill. It's actually a motion, so I hope everyone understands the difference. But in your honest opinion, do you really think that this is as far as the Liberal government and the Muslim lobbying groups want to take it, just this motion? I don't. What other steps to "combat Islamophobia" do you think they want to take? I find it hard to believe that they are going through all this just for the purpose of having the government fund some more advertising campaigns about how great Muslims are and how we should all get along. What did you think about the quote from Trudeau that I included in the OP? And what exactly is Islamophobia anyways? If I say that Islam sucks and Muhammed (piss be upon him) was a pedophile, is that Islamophobia?

As far as that MP getting death threats, well I find that troubling but I'm not exactly sure that means that the federal government needs to do something about Islamophobia. Or if they do, they should also use their powers to deal with Kafirphobia and Apostatephobia coming from Muslim communities, would you agree? For example there's a Pakistani-Canadian woman who writes a blog called Nice Mangos.

http://nicemangos.blogspot.ca/?zx=d1d3d80f21758553

She is an ex-Muslim and is very critical of Islam. She receives a lot of death threats from Islamists, in fact she writes under a pseudonym for that very reason. I wonder if the government needs to do something about this hatred coming from the Muslim community.

Someone should ask Trudeau if diversity is so great then why do they feel the need to pass these stupid things

Really? Not sure where you searched because it's been all over the Canadian media that I've seen. All the newspapers in Toronto, CBC, Maclean's, HuffPo Canada, etc. Why don't you look into it a bit and then come back and let us know your thoughts on it.

Looked into it, still don't care as it's not even worth talking about really. Just seems like a waste of money and time by the government.

The only people who seem to be concerned about this are the fear mongering far right who are scared of all the things this motion can't do. Talk about stifling free speech. Like you said, it's a motion, not a bill or a law and all it does is ask the Commons to condemn Islamophobia (so brave) and requests -- not orders, but requests that the Commons committee study the subject.

Seems like most of the concern is over the inclusion of the word "Islamophobia". I didn't hear this same concern last October when the Conservative Party along with the other parties unanimously endorsed a motion that "condemned all forms of Islamophobia."

Back