Canadian Man Acquitted on Charges for Yelling FHRITP at Reporter

Law Talkin’ Guy

The Worm
@Gold
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...-penton-heather-gillis-fhitp-fhritp-1.4542901

A guy charged for shouting "Fuck her right in the pussy!" at a reporter while she was interviewing the Mayor of St. John's, Newfoundland was acquitted. Small win for freedom of speech in Canada?

[
A provincial court judge in St. John's has ruled it could be illegal to shout a sexist slur at female reporters, but not in the case of what happened to NTV reporter Heather Gillis last year outside the city dump.

It was never a question of whether Justin Penton hurled the words at Gillis while she was interviewing St. John's Mayor Danny Breen at the Robin Hood Bay waste management facility in April 2017. The issue for the judge was whether or not it constituted a crime in that context.

Gillis reported she was "humiliated, embarrassed and disgusted" by the comments. Breen said it made him uncomfortable.

But Judge Colin Flynn ruled an emotional disturbance does not meet the criteria for a charge of disturbing the peace.

"Something more than emotional upset and a momentary interruption in a conversation is needed to constitute the criminal offence," Flynn wrote in his decision.

Penton did not appear in court on Tuesday for the decision.

Last April, Gillis had just finished interviewing Breen, who was a city councillor at the time, and was following up with a few off-camera questions. Penton drove by in his truck and yelled "F--k her in the p---y" on his way into the dump.

NTV journalist Heather Gillis snapped this photo of the truck from which Justin Penton yelled obscenities at her. (Heather Gillis/Twitter)

The phrase is an internet meme made popular in a series of YouTube videos in 2014. Since then, reporters all over North America have been on the receiving end of men yelling it into their cameras. In this case, Penton omitted the word "right," but the judge used the phrases interchangeably in court.

Fed up with it, Gillis waited for the truck to return and snapped a photo of the licence plate.

After posting it on social media, Royal Newfoundland Constabulary Const. Joe Smyth reached out to her and said it may warrant criminal charges if she filed a complaint.

After running the plate number, Smyth paid Penton a visit. He was immediately apologetic and admitted to yelling at Gillis, the court heard.

However, Penton pleaded not guilty, with his lawyer arguing he did not cause a public disturbance.

'My decision on the facts of this case does not mean that these noted words can be said … with impunity.'- Judge Colin Flynn
Prior cases have set a precedent, where an incident must disturb the "ordinary and customary" workings of a public place in order to be considered criminal, the judge's ruling reads.

Flynn said Penton yelling the words at Gillis at the dump — which was closed that day — did not cause any interference with that "ordinary and customary use of the premises."

When Flynn dismissed the charge, Gillis got up and walked out of the courtroom. On the way out, she could be heard saying, "This is ridiculous."

Gillis was not available for an interview, but testified in court this was not the first time she had the phrase yelled at her. Breen also said it wasn't the first time he'd heard it yelled while being interviewed.

In his closing remarks, the judge said this doesn't mean people are free to yell it whenever they want and also suggested Canada could add emotional disturbance to the list of what constitutes a public disturbance.

"My decision on the facts of this case does not mean that these noted words can be said to persons, in particular female reporters out doing their jobs, with impunity," Flynn said.

"It very much depends on the circumstances and context of the case whether such words would attract criminal liability. On the facts of this case, they do not."
/QUOTE]

Good thing the reporter didn't identify as male, goatkin, etc or that guy would be locked up, serving several lifetimes (in Canada/Hell) for calling zxiym a "her".

Freedom of speech except for that...and that...and of course that....and all of that

It's one of those things that I agree with but leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. It'd be great if shit heads could avoid being shitty such that the law wouldn't have to go to bat for them over something no reasonable person would do.

"My decision on the facts of this case does not mean that these noted words can be said to persons, in particular female reporters out doing their jobs, with impunity," Flynn said.

"It very much depends on the circumstances and context of the case whether such words would attract criminal liability. On the facts of this case, they do not."
If it was live I wonder if that would contravene obscenity laws. Waste of police and the courts time though at least the loser was named publicly as a result - Justin Penton. Better story would have been to have the reporter to track him down and show up at his work to interview him about it. Social media could have handled this fine.

Last edited:
Where’s the video? Hilarious.

He actually shouted "Fuck her in the pussy!", forgot to say Right.

What a fail. Trying to be an immature tool, can't even do it properly.

What a feckin Jack was

Actually for once in the war room a topic on freedom of speech rights (even though Canada) is actually about freedom of speech....from government prosecution.

Kudos you maple syrup drinking motherfuckers...that last line by the judge to review emotional disturbance is some cringe shit though.

Bunch of fuckin skeets on da goh, b'ys.

I never even understood how this was supposed to be funny. I mean I don't think it should count as disturbing the peace, but man what a fuckin jerkoff. Grow up.

He should've been thrown in a cage with murderers and rapists for what he did. Absolutely despicable.

unnamed.jpg

I never even understood how this was supposed to be funny. I mean I don't think it should count as disturbing the peace, but man what a fuckin jerkoff. Grow up.

This. It may be legal, but it's neither big nor clever:rolleyes:

I think it is hilarious, and it would brighten my day if I randomly heard more people yell fuck her right in the pussy.

I love inappropriate humor though.

If you watch family guy, or south park, and are offended by this, you might want to question whether those things are consistent with each other.

10 years ago I would have thought what a stupid retarded fuck yells a thing like that.

Now in the current climate in the West a part of me can't help but to side with said retard.

There should be no official punishment, just post his name and let social media shame him. It's today's version of putting someone in the stocks.

She may have lost in real court but will still win at the human rights tribunal. This isn’t over yet. This guy will be bankrupted and sent to re-education camp.

Back