Can you mod one of our regulars over in S&C/F13

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you assign yourself to whichever subforums you want?

The reason I'm asking is because new mods appeared in the f13 moderator list after this thread was started.

No...in theory we're all supposed to check in on the entire forum. In reality, we tend to let regulars take care of the various sub forums.

No...in theory we're all supposed to check in on the entire forum. In reality, we tend to let regulars take care of the various sub forums.

Apparently the mods who were S&C regs all up and left.

Apparently the mods who were S&C regs all up and left.

Must have been because the bar closed. No beer equals no fun.

I was under the impression than mods don't have modding/editing/deleting/locking privileges in all subforums.

In any case, why is there is a list of specific mods in each subforum?

I was under the impression than mods don't have modding/editing/deleting/locking privileges in all subforums.

I think it mattered more in the past. Most of the mods you see are either senior mods who can mod anywhere or regular mods who have privileges most forums.

Probably a glitch/hold over from the old days. When the forum got revamped a lot of things changed about how mods work things around the forum.

Kinda like how support has only three mods listed but all the senior mods can edit, delete etc in here.

Deleting is even better. However, should something not be done, those who are new to the forum often bump a thread in ignorance of the rules. Those who are not new to the forum often reply/bump them when they should not.

I concur on both counts, we can see how it goes from here on out.

We used to have what was referred to as a "Pub." Basically an all off topic thread that the S&C was allowed to have so the regulars (and whoever else) can go and talk about whatever. It acted to keep a lot of general discussion out of the other threads. We've tried to revitalize it a couple times and we get shut down.

We actually are pretty close community and would very much appreciate something like this.

By riff raff, I mean posts not on-topic. Not exclusive to the regulars either, just a thread where we can chat. Most sub forums have one or two OT threads, from what I've seen.

Chat threads as a rule get deleted after a while because they're just that, chat threads and they mostly just boost post count and don't contribute much to the individual forum. The ones you see in the other forums get deleted after a while for this reason. You're welcome to start one but keep in mind that it will have a limited life expectancy.

I also don't really see why you couldn't still let some stuff like this slide. There's a big difference between two regulars getting each other's goad (which happens a lot) and someone blatantly and maliciously harassing a noob unknowingly posting something forbidden.

Like Belph and I have mentioned allowing us to have a general discussions thread would get rid of a lot of that.

Jeez, we've barely gotten started on this and you're looking for us to make exceptions already. As a rule, what constitutes flaming beyond the obvious is objective and decisions on what action to take are generally decided on a case by case basis. Not everyone is always happy with our interpretation but it goes with the territory if you want more active moderation. We have to be accountable for our actions as well here.

So the obvious question here is: why keep a whole bunch of mods that used to be regulars and never show up (and probably do zero modding), and not mod just one or two of the current, universally (within the f13) respected and long-time regularly active posters?

Boy, you guys are really thorough aren't you.

Boy, you guys are really thorough aren't you.

Considering the circumstances, that was a very reasonable thing to ask.

By your comment, I assume you have no logical answer for it.

Regarding injury threads, I think it's a matter of whether what's needed or being asked for is medical advice.

For example, if someone say broke their wrist, and asked how they could train around that, reasonable, non medical advice could be given, like using a safety squat bar or doing zercher squats, or any number of other things.

Or for that matter there's any number of minor aches and pains that come from any physical activity that aren't injuries. I think it's reasonable to discuss how to deal with these aches and pains can be addressed, for example, knee sleeves, SMR, mobility work, etc. Or what amount of aches and pains are normal, and at what point are they excessive and require rest or medical advice.

Regarding whether bodybuilding should be a forbidden topic, the long standing line is that S&C is about performance related goals, not aesthetics. Now I'm not entirely against the idea of people having informed discussion about aesthetic goals on occasion, and I wouldn't object if someone with such goals kept a training log in F49.

However, keeping bodybuilding a forbidden topic really serves to, or at least is meant to serve, as a way to keep discussion about nonsense routines like those found in muscle mags, or a thread about someone who only wants to make their arms big and doesn't care about anything else, verboten. Now it's possible that the right Mod could walk this fine line, but if that's not possible, it is better for the forum for it to remain strictly about performance related goals.

Posting this in both the support thread, and the rabble thread.

Considering the circumstances, that was a very reasonable thing to ask.

By your comment, I assume you have no logical answer for it.

I have a logical answer for anything you care to ask, but that doesn't mean I'm compelled or required to answer it.

Hey Tosa, question in the town hall.

I have a logical answer for anything you care to ask, but that doesn't mean I'm compelled or required to answer it.

D.R.H. and Fury have been reasonable, willing to listen and willing help.

Your attitude since the beginning of this thread is the exact opposite of that.

Do you want to help out, or do you want to be provocative and instigate angry responses (as you've already done itt)?

I'm not going to speak for any other mods and their experiences with the S&P/S&C over the years, but for me, the main problem with modding that place is how territorial everybody is, mods included. When I first became a mod, I modded that place like it was any other and immediately I had a dozen mods on my ass all trying to mark their territory and play alpha dog. The place is like a college town. You go anywhere in the world, things run a certain way; then you go to a college town, and it's like you're in the Twilight Zone. Everything looks the same, appears to run the same, but it's completely different and weird and some rules don't apply while there are other weird made-up ones and the people running shit don't seem to care so long as the place doesn't burn to the ground.

The way I see it, any problems you guys have with moderation in the S&C is a problem for your regular stable of mods. With how small and inactive that sub-forum is by comparison to the rest of Sherdog, it has a ridiculously high number of mods. Start sending those guys PMs to see if they're even still around, and if they are, see if they're willing to do anything.

If they aren't willing to mod S&C anymore, then come back in here and let us know and maybe we can start taking steps to address your concerns.

Could it be because the stickies arent clear enough, and open to too much interpretations?

If the rules were clear for everyone to mod, wouldnt it be easier to work there and simply apply the rules?

Ignoring the territorial crap, certainly DMF is aware of it, and will deal with it, if not well he should. Id doubt DMF is the kind of guy who's affraid to hurt feelings after being in charge of this place for over 10 years.

*Not sure about the correct spelling for the "to too" bit

Could it be because the stickies arent clear enough, and open to too much interpretations?

If the rules were clear for everyone to mod, wouldnt it be easier to work there and simply apply the rules?

Ignoring the territorial crap, certainly DMF is aware of it, and will deal with it, if not well he should. Id doubt DMF is the kind of guy who's affraid to hurt feelings after being in charge of this place for over 10 years.

*Not sure about the correct spelling for the "to too" bit

As a noob of S&C, and someone who frequently reads the stickies, I can say that's BS. It is clear, it just may not be easy. You may not understand everything right away, that just means you have to keep reading.

As for the specific rules for injuries, and that one thread, here is the guideline for injuries

Have you gone to see a doctor? If not, do it. Are you following his advice? If not, do it. Can you do the exercise lighter without pain? if so, do it. if not, don't do the exercise. In short, don't do any exercise that causes sharp pain in your joints (not to be confused feeling the burn, which is muscular), and see a doctor about any inhibiting injury.

Seems pretty clear how that guy should go about his training and his questions. he should just ask the doctor how he can train around his injury and if anything causes problems, go lighter or stop.

D.R.H. and Fury have been reasonable, willing to listen and willing help.

Your attitude since the beginning of this thread is the exact opposite of that.

Do you want to help out, or do you want to be provocative and instigate angry responses (as you've already done itt)?

You're entirely too sensitive, as are a few of the other guys posting in this thread, and your perception of attitude based on some text is generally skewed and misinterpreted. I'm not going to kiss your ass and pat you on the back or coddle you in regards to how things are done here. Some of you have had a generally negative and whiney attitude towards how things are done here and how you think they should be done. I answer the questions that can be answered and I'm vague about the ones that you need not know the answer to. People that are familiar with my demeanor know exactly what kind of 'attitude' I have as a moderator. Maybe you'll learn in time and maybe you won't, that's entirely up to you.

I can see that we're going to get along famously from here on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're entirely too sensitive, as are a few of the other guys posting in this thread, and your perception of attitude based on some text is generally skewed and misinterpreted. I'm not going to kiss your ass and pat you on the back or coddle you in regards to how things are done here. Some of you have had a generally negative and whiney attitude towards how things are done here and how you think they should be done. I answer the questions that can be answered and I'm vague about the ones that you need not know the answer to. People that are familiar with my demeanor know exactly what kind of 'attitude' I have as a moderator. Maybe you'll learn in time and maybe you won't, that's entirely up to you.

I can see that we're going to get along famously from here on out.

You continue being provocative, you're making an ad hominem attack, and are still not offering any hint of a helpful attitude.

I don't think I have anything else to discuss with you. It is an obvious waste of my time.

You continue being provocative, you're making an ad hominem attack, and are still not offering any hint of a helpful attitude.

I don't think I have anything else to discuss with you. It is an obvious waste of my time.

No, really, it is all of us who simply want reasonable answers and moderation as per stated policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back