Can you guys recommend some good horror films?

I listed a bunch from the 2000s that were amazing. I'm a huge horror buff myself.

Seen them all from your list. Except for The Visit and Maniac.
I'm not saying there isn't good horrors in the entire 2000s decade, in fact there are some really goods one, but none could potentially be classics. Strictly speaking about Hollywood films.

Foreign horror did much better in 2000s.
Let the right one in - one great example loved by many here.
Shutter - Thai horror is definitely a classic
The Eye - Hong Kong is another classic
Art of the Devil - might be a debate

I was glued to The Ring. All genres inclusive, I think its one if the GOAT movies. But I can understand someone not enjoying it because it is terrifying.

It was just unsettling to me: not thrilling or engrossing or satisfying. Just unpleasant. Masterfully well-done, though. It's a ridiculous premise, so I really wasn't expecting it to break through and actually be able to present itself realistically.

I'm not saying there isn't good horrors in the entire 2000s decade, in fact there are some really goods one, but none could potentially be classics. Strictly speaking about Hollywood films.

I found Let the Right One in just okay. 7/10 for me. The American remake .5 less.

Shutter was decent, but not better than any of the ones I listed IMO.

The Eye - just meh to me, forgettable.

I haven't seen Art of the Devil.

Get out.

I'm not talking about the movie.

Anything Rob Zombie directs is complete white trash shit. Somehow, he was able to make Halloween, one of the most fundamentally sound series out there, unpalatable with his hillbilly story writing and dog shit direction.

Wow... Somebody is letting their War room feelings flood into another sub -forum. Grow up dude.

Yeah it is brilliant, I absolutely loved it and I am not a horror fan/buff by any means (bit of a scaredy-cat and despise cheap jump-scares) but I can enjoy slow-burn/art horror like The Shining. It's a comparable sort of atmosphere. Almost a cliche at this point, but The Witch doesn't rely on cheap jump-scares, but is instead filled with a genuine creepiness and a sense of dread throughout. As someone who loves history, I also appreciated how authentic the film was in terms of costumes, setting etc. and the plot, despite obviously being fictional lol, is an accurate depiction of what people in the early modern priod (puritans) really feared about Witches.

I also recommend Don't Look Now - http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/130093055/

Hilariously, i agree.

And the movie still SUCKS.

Get out.

I'm not talking about the movie.

Anything Rob Zombie directs is complete white trash shit. Somehow, he was able to make Halloween, one of the most fundamentally sound series out there, unpalatable with his hillbilly story writing and dog shit direction.

Damn. Bravo man. Fucking Amen, i couldnt put it better.

Im not gonna list all min, as i consider myself a horror snob.

That said, i constantly scratch my head wondering why the VAST difference in enjoyment between Let Me In and Let the Right One In.

Watched another Invasion of Body Snatchers remake.

The Invasion

Its not bad. Actually, id say its good. Different style but same premise. Id recommend it.

Despite its rating, its got some creepy scenes. It cant beat the 70s version in terms of the sounds they make, but they replace it with vomit and its not bad. Nicely shot and wonderfully acted. Some may not like the ending, but this is the...4th remake? Id like a new ending.

One thing i didnt like is that when theyre in their 'pod' state, it looks digitized. Talk about skimping out on effects. One of the best things in the 70s version is their change, particularly Sutherlands hair shaking.

And Is it just me or is Nicole Kidman fucking absolutely gorgeous here?

Not sure if this is what you would be looking for in horror movies, but Jacobs Ladder is excellent movie

Alien
The Thing
It Follows
Dawn of the Dead (both iterations)
28 Days Later
Cabin in the Woods
Insidious
The Collector / The Collection
The Evil Dead
A Serbian Film
The House of the Devil
Martyrs
Pontypool

Autopsy of jane doe was a recent good one
The void if you like that hellraiser graphic violence

I found Let the Right One in just okay. 7/10 for me. The American remake .5 less.

Shutter was decent, but not better than any of the ones I listed IMO.

The Eye - just meh to me, forgettable.

I haven't seen Art of the Devil.

Art of the Devil have an similar vibe to the Japanese classic Audition.

Did you watched the Thai version for Shutter and Hong Kong version for The Eye? Not the Jessica Alba Hollywood version. At least in Asia, these two films are no doubt going down for modern horror classics. Sort of like how Ringu, One Missed Call for Japanese. But I don't think westerners like these as well. We are definitely subjected to different cultures and living environment thus the preferences.

Personally, I don't like slasher films. Because we don't live in areas like how the movie is depicted. So we can't feel the sense of "This shit might be happen right around the corner".

The reason why The Eye is going to be a classic, is because of the lift scene and ghost licking food scene. The former is what most Asian needs to take everyday back home. The latter is Chinese belief/religion. Not easy for westerners to feel the impact of the scenes because it probably holds little to no meaning.

Which is why, movies are so great! Every films are up to different interpretation and like/dislike.

Im not gonna list all min, as i consider myself a horror snob.

That said, i constantly scratch my head wondering why the VAST difference in enjoyment between Let Me In and Let the Right One In.

I mentioned it in an earlier post. But didn't want to spoil it much to the person I quoted as he haven't watch the Hollywood version.

Below is MY believe on that difference in enjoyment. I speak solely for myself, no one else.

1. The Hollywood version is remake.
We know how most people feel about remakes. They will be crapped on even before the film is released. Secondly, for remakes to happen in Hollywood, the original must have done extremely well and most people probably have watched it. The plot/twist are already "spoilt" so we know what is going to happen going in. Thus, any shock factor that made the original so exciting is already lessen.

2. The two films differs fundamentally.
LTROI - Slow paced, creepy feel adds up, slow burn.
LMI - Faster paced, more sinister than creepy, more actions over all.

LTROI - Eli is looking for a friend that understands her to fill her empty world.
LMI - Eli is "strictly" looking for a new caretaker to replace the currently aging one. The photo scene hints at that. It can be interpreted that Eli is more or less manipulating Oskar.

3. LTROI stayed closer to the novel.
Eli was a boy in the novel.
LTROI - hinted this through a brief scene on Eli scar on his/her nether region. The actress was also cast due to her lower voice, making us know Eli is not really female.
LMI - Everyone who watch the film won't even think Eli is NOT female. Long blonde hair and all.

Thus, some people could feel the original is about a sad friendship that almost couldn't make it. While the Hollywood version is about a vampire "scamming" a kid to take care of her needs.

So it's up to individual preference which film is better. Do you prefer the sad tale of forbidden friendship, or you do like your horror films more sinister in nature.

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone's mentioned I Saw The Devil, but that's worth a watch.

The Orphange is good too, not really a horror film though.

I mentioned it in an earlier post. But didn't want to spoil it much to the person I quoted as he haven't watch the Hollywood version.

Below is MY believe on that difference in enjoyment. I speak solely for myself, no one else.

1. The Hollywood version is remake.
We know how most people feel about remakes. They will be crapped on even before the film is released. Secondly, for remakes to happen in Hollywood, the original must have done extremely well and most people probably have watched it. The plot/twist are already "spoilt" so we know what is going to happen going in. Thus, any shock factor that made the original so exciting is already lessen.

2. The two films differs fundamentally.
LTROI - Slow paced, creepy feel adds up, slow burn.
LMI - Faster paced, more sinister than creepy, more actions over all.

LTROI - Eli is looking for a friend that understands her to fill her empty world.
LMI - Eli is "strictly" looking for a new caretaker to replace the currently aging one. The photo scene hints at that. It can be interpreted that Eli is more or less manipulating Oskar.

3. LTROI stayed closer to the novel.
Eli was a boy in the novel.
LTROI - hinted this through a brief scene on Eli scar on his/her nether region. The actress was also cast due to her lower voice, making us know Eli is not really female.
LMI - Everyone who watch the film won't even think Eli is NOT female. Long blonde hair and all.

Thus, some people could feel the original is about a sad friendship that almost couldn't make it. While the Hollywood version is about a vampire "scamming" a kid to take care of her needs.

So it's up to individual preference which film is better. Do you prefer the sad tale of forbidden friendship, or you do like your horror films more sinister in nature.

Good explanations.

The original is Norwegian right? So its a remake, yes, but Americanized. I saw Let Me In first and did not read the novel.

Im ok with a vampire being..a user. Theyre supposed to be monsters, right? Did the original have a caretaker? Yes right? So is the american version more self aware?

Hah, im splittling hairs here, i enjoyed both but thats the point. The vast difference isnt there.

IT is more different than its original. And much much better.

Anyone else think Cabin in the Woods (2011) might be one of the more entertaining horrors of the last 25 years? I'm sure I've seen it 3 or 4 times. Not overly scary, but entertaining with lots of twists and turns. I even liked the long ending.

@TrueBias
Swedish. The original novel was Swedish as well.
The Caretaker, Hakan, had a more prominent role in LTROI instead of LMI. He is shown to be grumpy but at the same time lower in status to Eli. But my memory is fuzzy from novel to movie to movie. Find a free weekend to watch it. The first 45mins is REAL slow, especially on the group that actually discovers Eli, which is entirely removed from the American version.

@splendica
It's a great film and surprisingly entertaining. They mixed self-parody and horror well. Definitely one of the better ones in recent years.

bro the girl in LTROI looked just like my ex girlfriend, which is odd cause she was so young. great movie. I saw it right after she dumped me :(

Back