Can WME set up a TUF - Celebrity Edition?

Octagnecologist

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
We all know the format is stale. The current edition is hoping to draw a few extra eyes by bringing back familiar faces, but if you're tuning in, it's most likely to watch the Dillashaw/Garbrandt beef.

So, with their entertainment industry empire behind them, can WME round up a respectable group of celebrity/athletes to compete on a Fox Network television edition of The Ultimate Fighter? Assuming (or more accurately, pretending) they can, who might consider giving it a go?:

1. CM Punk: an obvious candidate. It would be a much better fit for him than fighting pros.

2. Sean Patrick Flanery: Unfortunately he's a little old (51) but he has legit Karate and BJJ credentials.

3. Michael Imperioli: Also likely too old, but he does train in Taekwondo.

4. Ryan Phillippe: Another Taekwondo practitioner, but an A-List celebrity would likely never consider it.

5. Wesley Snipes: Not as unlikely as you might think if the $ was right. He needs it.

6. Ashton Kutcher: A BJJ student. But he's an A-Lister as well and probably scared to get punched.

7. Kevin James: Most of the above are Welterweights or Middleweights. Doubt he can cut the weight.

8. Joe Rogan: Doesn't need the money or exposure. Also up there in years.

9. Diego Klattenhoff: Trains in Muay Thai and relatively young compared to the rest. Has a chance.

10. Rick Yune: Boxing and BJJ training. Could be a sleeper.

11. Bear Grylis: Former SAS soldier. Loves exposure and marketing himself.

12. Lorenzo Lamas: Old and washed up. Could use the job.

13. Khalil Kain: Hasn't done much since Juice. Has a Hapkido black belt. (16th seed)

14. Chris Conrad: One of those guys that's been in everything but you don't know his name.

15. Jason Scott Lee: A JKD black belt.

16. Neil Brown Jr.: DJ Yella from the NWA movie, has traditional martial arts experience.

My money would be on Joe Rogan despite his age.

Only if they bring in the MTV dudes from The Challenge. CT, Banannas, CF Jesus Zack. I'd pay money to see it.

One a more serious note, I think a TUF: Celeb edition is just a matter time really. Kurt Angle was pulling on Dana's sleeve to fight on TUF, James Toney got his shot, CM Punk got his and now they're doing TUF: Best Off. So a celeb TUF isn't all that far from happening.

Get four actors.. Micheal Jai White, Vin Diesel, Rock, Khalil Kain

Get four wrestlers.. Kurt Angle, Bautista, Goldberg, CM Punk

Get four mma fighters.. Sonnen, Krazy Horse, Mayhem Miller, Nick Diaz

Get four other sport athletes.. Bronier (boxing), Hayes (boxing), Ray Lewis (football), Green (basketball)

Two teams of 8..

Gotta have Ronnie from Jersey shore, nice GnP

They could have it like the biggest loser. Get some wannabe action actors, and train them with a camp for 6 weeks. Have them fight every week. The current format, just isn't getting people interest, even though this is probably the best one yet. Time to mix things up.

I think you could probably find enough d, c and b level celebrities to fill out a show who are dumb enough to think they can fight. Would watch.

I'd rather it be guys like Neil Degrasse Tyson, Bill Nye, the guy with crazy eyes in Adam Sandler movies. You named a shitload of people nobody knows. I want to watch a Jonas brother fight a Hansen.

Back