Can we stop blaming fighters for missing weight? The Weight Cutting System is the problem!!!!!!!!!!!

Fighters don't miss weight cuts, weight cuts miss weight cuts.

Im tired of fighters getting blamed...I know people will say "but but other fighters don't miss, thus it's the fighters fault".

Look we live in a Manlet Hunting culture in MMA/UFC(Conor is the prime example of a manlet hunter)....this has to change.

Good weight cutters either because of skill/genetics will always have the advantage, which is retarded since weight cutting has nothing to do with actual fighting, at all.

This Manlet hunting culture, then makes people want to cut as much weight as they can, even though cutting 20-25lbs of water weight and getting rehydrated in like a day..again has nothing to do with fighting.

Fighters are pressured to cut insane amount of weight because of this manlet hunter culture...thus this what happens.

We need ONEFC weight cutting, plain and simple.

Then fighters like Conor will fight people their own size, instead of little manlets.....and people won't miss weight.

Not only that, but fighters will perform way better and lead to more exciting fights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben askren is right

well, in the case of Aspen Ladd, she's missed weight in two out of three UFC bookings. Maybe it's time for her to move up to featherweight.

For Kevin Lee it's different. Dude has never missed weight, so he gets some slack today.

P.S. - both Ladd and Cyborg beat Lansberg via second round TKO, so there's that ...

Im tired of fighters getting blamed...I know people will say "but but other fighters don't miss, thus it's the fighters fault".

Look we live in a Manlet Hunting culture in MMA/UFC(Conor is the prime example of a manlet hunter)....this has to change.

Good weight cutters either because of skill/genetics will always have the advantage, which is retarded since weight cutting has nothing to do with actual fighting, at all.

This Manlet hunting culture, then makes people want to cut as much weight as they can, even though cutting 20-25lbs of water weight and getting rehydrated in like a day..again has nothing to do with fighting.

Fighters are pressured to cut insane amount of weight because of this manlet hunter culture...thus this what happens.

Then fighters like Conor will fight people their own size, instead of little manlets.....and people won't miss weight.

Not only that, but fighters will perform way better and lead to more exciting fights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben askren is right

Uses a fighter that has NEVER missed weight as prime example of why weight cutting is the problem....
LMFAO.

Yes they are.

When you fight fighters who cut 20-25lbs of water weight like Conor....You are forcing everybody else to do the same or else you will fight an oversize guy.

The whole system is pushing fighters to cut extreme amount of water weight.

and let me tell you something...if a fighter with a rough weight cut ever dies in the UFC.......UFC will be responsible and I bet they will change the rules like ONEFC.
Why do you keep bringing Conor's name up? how long have you watched MMA? Cutting weight was an issue before Conor ever signed with the UFC. Do you not recall the massive amount of weight Rumble used to cut to get to 170? And did that massive weight cut do him any favors? How then, can you equate cutting massive amounts of weight to success in the octagon? There are more fighters, who have cut as much or more weight than Conor, and far fewer of them ever achieved anything close to what Conor has achieved.Your premise, along with unnecessarily adding Conor's name into the mix, is bunk.

I've no respect for fighters who keep missing weight, no discipline to make weight and no guts to fight at a higher weight class, they are both lazy and cowardly, awful combo.

Even once is bad but I'll let everyone have one freeby before they are banned from that weight class forever.

Same day weigh-ins are the way to go in terms of improving the sport itself. Guys will gas out less often and you'll end up with more fast paced fights because fighters wont' be drained from the weight cutting.

In terms of the promotion aspect of the sport though, same day weigh-ins would hurt MMA and it's wallet.
It's a damned if you do damned if you don't kind of thing.

If a fighter chooses to severely dehydrate then they are part of the system - or cult as I call it.

What kind of logic is that. In this "manlet hunting" culture you speak of, fighters have the choice to fight at a reasonable weight or go hunting after manlets. If they choose to go for the hunt and repeatedly fail to make the weight, of course they are to blame.

I do think generally the culture needs to change, but most of the blame falls on the fighters and their own team. I'm sure it's very hard for a lot of fighters but it's mostly their own responsibility.

They can fight at higher weight classes, look at how guys like Fedor, DC, Edgar, Gastellum, Whittaker etc. have done being a little undersized.

If they are too undersized for the higher division and a bit too big for the lower one, then either lose some muscle mass or bulk up a little bit. This shouldn't be an impossible problem to overcome, and they definitely should not be having to kill themselves every time to make the weight by .1 pounds.

Ben askren is right

Fighters should focus on getting better at fighting instead of trying to cut the most amount of weight. Very few fighters seem to improve their skill level from fight to fight and often when they aren't having success they drop a weight class instead of getting better. It also takes some of the prestige away from being a fighter. A true warrior should want to fight the best there are and should have the confidence in their skill level to take on opponents their own size and bigger.

I see the value in weight classes as their can be big enough gaps in size. But it doesn't really come across as a warrior thing to do to drop 30 or more pounds, with a huge amount from dehydration just to fight smaller opponents. I guess the rebuttal would be that their opponent is doing that so they should as well. But that kind of shows how ridiculous the whole thing is. If both opponents are cutting 30 or so pounds just to make weight to fight, why not fight each other at their natural weight?

People can also get considerably strong and athletic without putting on a ton of size. There are many olympic weightlifters and powerlifters that don't weigh much but can lift very heavy weight. Therefore if fighters are cutting weight to maintain some kind of strength advantage, why not just work on getting stronger?

Also if fighters are winning in a division because they cut huge weight and have a huge weight advantage, then isn't that and indication that they are lacking in skill? If a fighter beats up an opponent who is 30 to 50 lbs lighter than them is that really a meaningful accomplishment?

I think that if you make weight cutting rules more strict, even more fighters will miss weight...

Back