Can the UFC create another Conor McGregor?

UFC built him up and his fans drank the kool-aid. With such gullible fan base, it's just a matter of time before we get another one of those.

it all happened so quickly. I think that's the real take away. People lose interest when there are lulls in the action. For example i think Khamzat not fighting for a whole year kills his momentum. Mcgregor kept his momentum in tact that entire run, then took the floyd fight and you know the rest
fBgL3r.gif

NO.

Mcg for all of his shenanigans he's a rare ocurrence; charisma, predicting KO's, popular with the american audience and a natural draw are innante things. The UFC saw the potential and promoted him and the rest is history. The UFC had several champs who were successful lika Andy Silva, GSP, Cain but weren't too charismatic to draw millions, and in that Mcg was one of a kind.

But the coke, booze, drinking his own hype to not train properly are his downfalls adn i highly doubt we'll see the old MCg back.

UFC didn't create conor, he did it himself. It was his personality and his Boystrous-ness that made him who he is today. The UFC only gave him a platform, the very same platform every other fighter is given.

<PlusJuan>

At this point i think we all pretty much agree that Conor will never again reach the peak he hit right before he left to box Mayweather.

So question is can the UFC create another Conor McGregor, a fighter who bedazzles both hardcore and casual fans while transcending the sport and becoming a cultural icon?
yes they can. as others have pointed out, they need someone with star quality to make it work. i disagree that all ufc did was provide a platform though. they marketed the hell out of him, and they did a great job. he owes a lot to ufc.

i don't think sean is anything like conor mcgregor. he has some meme energy about him, but his charisma is weak compared to someone like conor.

Unless they can "create" a fighter who knocks everyone out and wins belts on his own then not chance. The UFC tried to make Adesanya two division champion and he failed. Pereira lost his first belt before moving up for the second. Jones destroyed his career with drugs and out of ring behavior. Volk just blew up his chance at two belts and might lose his first one sooner than later. Holloway got multiple chances at a 155 belt and couldn't do it. Dillashaw failed at 125 then popped for EPO.

The UFC can push their favorite fighters all they want. But ultimately the fighters have to be the ones to rise to the challenge. The problem is that the UFC no longer seems able to pick the winners and losers properly. They picked Adesanya over Strickland and it blew up in their faces. The LHW division has been a disaster since Jones vacated. The UFC are too focsed on TKO and getting the Saudis to buy them than actually building up the fighters anymore.

At this point i think we all pretty much agree that Conor will never again reach the peak he hit right before he left to box Mayweather.

So question is can the UFC create another Conor McGregor, a fighter who bedazzles both hardcore and casual fans while transcending the sport and becoming a cultural icon?
Some sherdoggers will become the next things since most sherdogers are winners.

He's got the right look & fighting style, he's just not a very good talker compared to Conor lol. :D
He doesn't have widespread appeal. He appeals to a niche group of fans, IMO he doesn't have the look that lasts, he looks like a trend that will go out of fashion quickly. He's a flatbrim hat of mma.

Back