Can someone tell Sonnen Fedor's Judo credentials?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
I have been a fan of Fedor for a long time now, and I really would like to see Fedor's credentials being acknowledge by the media. It just will take one guy to let someone like Sonnen know, who's shitting on Judo, to really put it out there. IT just takes one guy, but Fedor's known as a sambo guy.

For me, Sambo isn't a good background for MMA in my opinion. A lot of people thought it that way, just not strong enough as wrestling, nor is it as slick as BJJ. There are guys like Fedor and Khabib, but they are really exceptions to the rule. And the pool of competition is obviously different.

It just takes one person who can talk to one person in the media to make sure this is relevant, especially a loudmouth like Sonnen. Personally, I think even Fedor himself wants to downplay his Judo background. There was a webpage that no long exists, for Hidehiko Yoshida's retirement ceremony or event, and Yoshida was quoted wanting to have a Judo match with Fedor, to which Fedor apparently replied that he is not a Judoka but a sambo player.

Then, when you return to what Fedor said in an interview,

.."I went to fighting because I had no other choice. Until then I was in the Russian National Judo Team. Tamerlan Tmenov, the future 2x Olympic Medalist was at that time No.1. Alexander Mihailin, nowadays, a 3x World Champion in Judo, was considered No. 2. And I was 3rd. I was in the national team for 2 years, but it was hard to go higher than 3rd. Referees judges differently depending whether you were from the famous Judo schools of Moscow or Ossetia or Cheliabinsk, vs. others from the unknown place for Stary Oskol. In 2000, I had no money and had just married. I needed to find money to feed my family."

Personally, it is a lot more impressive for someone to have done as well as he did in Judo and then achieve success in MMA. I say this, and people might defend Sambo, but if you look at a multiple combat world sambo champions like baby fedor, like multiple time world champion, and just look at overal success level, I personally still find it hard to go past the rare individual success that a very few fighters have enjoyed out of Sambo.

Sonnen has been shitting on Judo, Sambo and Fedor. Sonnen knows he got beat down by Fedor, and probably still think of Fedor as a Sambo guy. Someone please put some more salt in the wound and let him aware that he also got beat by the Judo guy as well. And really, put it out there, that Fedor has a great judo background as well as anyone in MMA. For one, Daniel Kelly is known as Olympic Judoka, but Fedor probably would have been Olympian if he were Australian too. Just like how Whitaker was close to trying out for olympic wrestling team, can you imagine.

3428_ex.png

I doubt it makes much of a difference to Sonnen if he got beat by a sambo guy or a judo guy.

Perhaps you should inform him.

Have you ever considered the possibility that you should tell him?

Fedor is so good at judo he tossed Sonnen off his back without using his arms or even any movement of his body.

I think you should watch fedor vs Coleman. You know when the guy was young. And watch the transition to arm bar from full guard, them come back and tell us sambo isn't a good base.

The man is 42 and that shit he pulled on sonnen was a thing of beauty.

Edit: think I kinda missed the point. I guess yiure right and the sad fact is that wrestling is probably the best base. Don't think it makes for better fights though.

I think you should watch fedor vs Coleman. You know when the guy was young. And watch the transition to arm bar from full guard, them come back and tell us sambo isn't a good base.

The man is 42 and that shit he pulled on sonnen was a thing of beauty.

Judo son Judo.

Ah, yea. I skipped a bit of your post and edited my last one.

You're right. But it makes me sad. Boo.

I mean, you look at baby fedor who is multiple times world champion. And then there was another dude who is multiple times world champion.

I was always under the impression that Sambo isn't slick enough on the ground, nor is it strong enough on the feet, unless you are someone like Fedor or Khabib.

And from years of talking to people about it, in Russia, I think Judo and Sambo is interchangeable. Which makes sense, because when Fedor was growing up, I don't really think combat sambo really existed, at least in some official settings and was in the process of being formalized with official rules.

I mean, you look at baby fedor who is multiple times world champion. And then there was another dude who is multiple times world champion.

I was always under the impression that Sambo isn't slick enough on the ground, nor is it strong enough on the feet, unless you are someone like Fedor or Khabib.

And from years of talking to people about it, in Russia, I think Judo and Sambo is interchangeable. Which makes sense, because when Fedor was growing up, I don't really think combat sambo really existed, at least in some official settings and was in the process of being formalized with official rules.
It depends on the type of judoka. Yea they are pretty interchangeable.

I really enjoy combat sambo. Its has great foundations but isn't particularly suited to specific areas.

Again. Wrestlers seem to do very well and are able to limit their opponents opportunities more than do something with it. Which is probably why I'm not a big fan. I can undertand how it's a very useful tool though.

Back