Can someone tell me the difference between Kenpo/Shotokan/Kyokushin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is this "bash" you speak of? Dude asked an honest question and I gave an honest answer. Why the near cultish devotion to techniques that don't work?

Traditional Karate is great for a fun hobby and a little costumed role playing at being an ancient Samurai or some such. If you are under the impression that Age Uke and Gedan Barai can actually be used against a trained opponent, please take your video camera down to your local MT or Kickboxing gym and videotape yourself using these techniques to defend yourself.

Post the video here.

Thanks,

Ninja

Why the near cultish devotion to "bashing" TMAs? Did you get your ego bruised or something?

And I train Muay Thai, little boy. No need to flaunt your inferiority complex all over a message board. Try being a little more open minded instead of trying to act like you know everything and are the end-all be-all of stand up striking.

This thread started as an innocent question about the differences in Karate styles.

You came on here and had to spout how everything doesn't work except for MT and kickboxing. Grow up, little boy.

Why the near cultish devotion to "bashing" TMAs? Did you get your ego bruised or something?

You came on here and had to spout how everything doesn't work except for MT and kickboxing. Grow up, little boy.

You might want to put your big girl panties on before you visit the Sherdog forums Nancy, you seem to have gotten some sand in your vagina.

I am nearly 40, and a Senior Non Commissioned Officer of Infantry. I have over 25 years of martial arts experience during which I have studied martial arts under men considered to be masters in places like Korea, Thailand, and Japan.

I don

blah...blah...blah...

Once again,

The TS asked about the differences between Karate styles. Did you answer about the differences in Karate styles? No.

You came here and started claiming how ineffective TMAs are. And you certainly spout your ultimate knowledge of kicking the shit out of everyone.

You didn't answer the topic of this thread in any way. Instead, you hijacked it to show off how great you think you are and how useless all the drunken monkey kungfu crap is. And how mystical all TMAs are.

If you're older than a teenager, I can only imagine that you're some sad little man going through some middle age crisis or something. Because you have the mental and emotional maturity of a five year old.

No matter how much you may claim to train or be a tough guy, you're nothing but another keyboard warrior trying to act tough on the internet. Whoop-dee-do.

If you want to believe that Five Point Exploding Drunken Monkey Shit Kwon Fu is deadly and effective, you are welcome to believe that but my experience indicates otherwise. I am willing to consider evidence to the contrary but I haven

This thread is spectacularly shitty. Not that I expected it to go well, or something.

This thread is spectacularly shitty. Not that I expected it to go well, or something.

Okay, I may have overdone it just a little. I start talking shit and have so much fun I get carried away.

I'll go out to the garage and stand in horse stance doing reverse punches for an hour to punish myself!

Well maybe not, but I will try to be a little less strident.

Appologies to ryouboard for my caustic wit...

best thread ever!1!ninja and powell u guys are my heroes.

Hmmmm. Very curious. So, how would a guy fair in MMA if he was a good wrestler with a Black Belt in BJJ and ONLY trained Karate for Stand up?

Stand up: 100% Karate

Ground: Wrestling/BJJ

I dont know much about the subject, but I would assume this would be a killer combo.

Hmmmm. Very curious. So, how would a guy fair in MMA if he was a good wrestler with a Black Belt in BJJ and ONLY trained Karate for Stand up?

Stand up: 100% Karate

Ground: Wrestling/BJJ

I dont know much about the subject, but I would assume this would be a killer combo.

So, we keep having the same discussion over and over, then I get irritated and start talking to people like they're stupid and everything goes to shit. So I'll try to avoid that.

I assume you are talking about the afore mentioned Mr. Machida, whom we all love to refer to as "semi-orthodox". There are many traditional techniques that Machida does not use. For instance he does not use traditional defense. Hell, NOBODY uses traditional Karate defense cuz that shit don't work.

Having been trained in style with no functional defense, and having fought in lots of tournaments, he has done what lots of other Shotokan fighters (including me) have done over the years, which is adapt his style to suit the conditions.

He has developed very good footwork, evading and closing the gap smoothly and quickly, hence the inevitble adjective "elusive". That footwork is not traditional Shotokan either. Traditional Shotokan footwork; low, stable stances, feet flat on the ground with toes gripping, feet sliding over the ground in an in-and-out motion, don't work either.

My point is this. Get a copy of Karate-Do Kyohan. Read it. Tell me how many of the techniques pictured in the book are being used by Lyoto Machida or any other Shotokan fighter in actual competition. Maybe 25%?

At what point does it stop being "Shotokan" as designed by Gichin Funakoshi and become something entirely different? Why continue using the techniques that don't work for demos, kata, belt tests, etc?

I stopped studying Shotokan when I realized I had basically become a self taught kickboxer and then decided I should focus my training on those techniques that I was actually using.

This is traditional Shotokan footwork, performed by a recognized master to absolute perfection. The instruction is in Japanese, but you will get the idea. This Oi zuki is a work of art. I spent probably hundreds of hours trying to develop comparable technique. Does this look anything like what Lyoto is using?

watch

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8844BzvEyMs&NR=1

Hey Ninja...I never got a reply on my TKD comment with the YouTube vid supplied...look back, any thoughts?

It depends on who you're up against...a well timed/placed back spin kick to the face can get a KO if the other guy has never been up against a TKD guy. It was one of my favorite counters in tourney sparring and it works well against TKD guys, imagine how well it would work against a grappler with crappy standup or someone coming in on you lazy that's never seen it before

YouTube - Taekwondo Knockouts 2

The video shows that TKD kicks work well in TKD competitions against TKD trained opponents. They certainly can work against untrained opponents who have poor technique but why train to beat guys that suck when that may not be who you face? A lot of stuff will work against untrained knuckle heads, that isn't who I am worried about.

Guys that throw a lot of high kicks tend to get taken down with great regularity when facing quality grapplers. TKD is weak on hand techniques, defense, and (IMO, some would disagree) footwork. Also the emphasis on high kicks will get you in trouble against somebody good.

The high roundhouse and spinning back kick are great addition to any fighters arsenal of techniques and guys that did a lot of training in TKD tend to have good ones.

Yeah, I guess that sounds like a fair assessment. I like your quote. Who is J. Kano?

I didnt mean Lyoto. I mean in general. If a guy is a wizard on the ground, but trains only Karate for stand up would that not help him? Or would be get owned by a good boxer style stand up guy?

Okay, I may have overdone it just a little. I start talking shit and have so much fun I get carried away.

I'll go out to the garage and stand in horse stance doing reverse punches for an hour to punish myself!

Well maybe not, but I will try to be a little less strident.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it is your fault. I kind of like your argument, actually. I just think these threads always suck, but for some reason I feel obligated to post in them :icon_chee

I didnt mean Lyoto. I mean in general. If a guy is a wizard on the ground, but trains only Karate for stand up would that not help him? Or would be get owned by a good boxer style stand up guy?

I think it would be more efficient to learn effective techniques studying muay thai or kickboxing. It is possible to learn good stand up at a good Karate Dojo (that does a lot of hard sparring), it will take longer and you will have holes in your game you will need to fix at a good MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing or MT gym.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back