Can someone tell me the difference between Kenpo/Shotokan/Kyokushin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, i guess we are on the same page here then. I have immense pride and for my Kyokushin and TKD roots. I just assumed you were one of those loony TMA diehards i guess. I also respect both sides of the argument.

i was arguing more along the lines of MMA and Muay Thai competition anyway.

well, i guess we are on the same page here then. I have immense pride and for my Kyokushin and TKD roots. I just assumed you were one of those loony TMA diehards i guess. I also respect both sides of the argument.

i was arguing more along the lines of MMA and Muay Thai competition anyway.

My roots are Shorin Ryu and TKD. When I decided I wanted to eventually take on Amateur MMA, I started going to the best Muay Thai & BJJ Gyms I could find nearby (2 separate ones). I'm going to try my hand at a few Amateur Muay Thai bouts and some grappling tourneys before I transition to MMA though.

im just asking isnt it the same w/every art; not saying they aren't more effective as a base are, but bjj-boxing-judo-kickboxing-muay thai-sambo- all have to be tailored. Whether its to mma or its to self def, anytime u use them in a diff environment or against diff stylist u have to modify or adjust.

now diff arts need less modification; BUT all arts have to be modified, that is why we have bjj- sport bjj-self def bjj-same thing w/judo and various other arts.

but i agree w/ur point-not trying to step on toes-but do u see mine

I think we are mostly in agreement. The question is, what is more efficient, a system that needs 90% modification to be effective or a system that needs 10% modification to be effective?

Dudes Ninjakiller aside I really have to say that the effectiveness of your style has a lot to do with how your taught. I personally think his sensei blew but thats just my opinion. here is my weigh in

Nice try.

I studied Shotokan only under ethnically Japanese Sensei's (why is this so important to Karateka?) who were once or twice removed from Funakoshi O'Sensei himself, including a fellow named Tsutomu Oshima. I assume you've heard of him. If not borrow a copy of Karate-Do Kyohan from your own Sensei and crack it open. He'll be the guy in all the pictures.

I've made points if you go back and look. Also, if you go back and look he DOES insinuate that TMA's are worthless, whether or not he ACTUALLY comes out and says it.

I do not say that TMA's are worthless. I say that they are inefficient for learning techniques that actually work in combat or competition. There are (much) faster and more effective ways to gain combat skills.

I collect antique weapons. I have some that I think are really cool. I read and research about them. I enjoy owning and collecting them in part because of the history behind them. They were state of the art war fighting weaponry when they were designed and manufactured.

I don't, however, suffer from the delusion that they are the equal of modern weapons systems.

If you enjoy the history and traditions of TMA, including learning techniques that are outdated and don't work in combat with opponents trained in other systems, then more power to you. Enjoy your hobby for what it is. But recognize and accept that you are collecting antiques, and don't come around telling us all that your Model T is going to outrun my 2008 Mustang.

You can't spar ALL of the time. Especially not in the beginning. Masterful basic techniques are built through drill and repitition, much like those katas everyone hates. I hate the stigma around the word kata. What is a kata but a series of moves memorized in a particular order and practiced over and over? You do have 15-18 count series' that you drill in Muay Thai, don't you?

There's a huge difference. Much of the technique in Karate Kata don't work for combat and aren't used even in school Kumite at Shotokan Dojo's. Shadow boxing and Muay Thai drills involve techniques that do work and are used exactly as rehearsed when fighting or competing. Self study drills are a necessary practice methodology for anything that can benefit from muscle memory. The problem comes when you are "muscle memorizing" wrong techniques.

The only value to Gedan Barai, Age Uki and numerous other traditional techniques is in appreciating the history and culture behind them.

despite his complete bluntness, i am in agreement with ninjakiller. He sure doesn't sugarcoat anything he says.

Kyokushin seems to be the most functional in a real fight, which isn't really saying much considering a majority of dojo's just do kata infront of a mirror all day now.

Almost all my background has been in grappling and only started stand-up training in college. I can say from my own personal experience, TMA has helped me learn to get comfortable psychologically with being kicked and punched at. I know that it sounds stupid, but FOR ME, being repeatedly attacked gave me the confidence to get past the fists and taking the fight into my arena. I chose Kung-fu and it has given me the tools I need (although those tools still need perfecting) but, then again, I'm not looking to submit Jackson. I fight/spar as a sport and only as far and it is enjoyable. I'm not training to kill... It is all about your objective.

Think you were trying to quote me, but no i hate fords :p I miss my 454 i owned back when i was a kid, now that was a engin :icon_chee

Yeah, meant to reply to you. Sorry.

Iff'n you're gonna go with a Chev you gotta go 427... Don't tell me you had a 454 70' Chevelle though. I will fuckin cry if you sold it.

That about says it right there...It's not the art is the fighter...If you wanna talk trash about traditional karate, I'm sure Machida or GSP would have a thing or two to say, the same goes for Chuck Liddell and Kenpo.

Karate and Liddell just dont go well together. In my opinion Liddell is just an orthodox non-traditional boxer.

Why does Karate never seem to do well against BJJ? Cant the Karate guy "strike" the BJJ guy away?

Why does Karate never seem to do well against BJJ? Cant the Karate guy "strike" the BJJ guy away?

Fundamentally speaking, karate trains strikers to fight other strikers. So they dont see the shoot coming/dont know what to do when they see a shoot coming. This is a generalization however.

Yeah, meant to reply to you. Sorry.

Iff'n you're gonna go with a Chev you gotta go 427... Don't tell me you had a 454 70' Chevelle though. I will fuckin cry if you sold it.

Yeah its hard to find a strong 427 now that isnt in some over priced car. I had a 454 in a 79 half ton chevy that was basicly built for the track, ran low 12's.

My brothers dad had a 67 chevelle SS with a 396 in it, cherry red. Basicly threw that car i fell in love with muscle cars. I always wanted to rebuild a 67-70 chevelle, but with the way gas is going it would cost more then a morgage, so it will probably be a dream unless something drastic changes :icon_sad:

It's like this, every second of your training life you spend practicing horse stance, and blocks like gedan barai, age uke, shuto uke, etc., are seconds you could spend learning something that might actually work. This is wasted time. A great fighter can overcome inefficient training and techniques but just think how much better he would be if he started out with shit that actually worked?

Even the best TMA fighters, guys like Lyoto Machida for example, can't make TMA techniques work in combat or competition. Not only do they not work, may of them are self defeating. Blocking full-power, full-contact, low kicks with the hands is a guaranteed way to fuck your hands up and eat lots of tasty counter punches to the head because your hands are too low to defend your head.

If you like TMA for the "philosophy", the camraderie and the feeling of belonging to some ancient warrior society or something, thats fine. If you want or need to have some skills that actually work in a fight, TMA will not only teach you shit that won't work it will give you bad habits that will take years to unlearn. I know. I started off in Shotokan and TKD, and have fucked around with a bunch of other stuff that doesn't work.

MMA, pro KB and MT are full of guys that started out in TMA. Almost all of them have transitioned to a style that uses the same basic punching and kicking techniques as well as defense. Its called evolution.

If you post video of a pro fighter, Lyoto Machida, GSP, or whoever else, in a traditional horse or front stance and using gedan barai or age uke in a fight I will take it all back...

wow, the bitterness of this post is great, i love it :p

as someone who also does TMA and a Japanese one to boot, i agree 100% with what you are saying....its all true and it goes for the vast majority of TMA's in general, for the most part you learn a stance that is completely useless against anything other than they system it was designed for and a bunch of things that work "in theory" but in practice make zero sense whatsoever for the most part

as for guys like Lyoto and GSP, they use parts of karate in their fighting style but its like 1 or 2 things they've actually taken away from it and still use now, especially GSP

Being a Shotokan BB myself I have to say that NinjaKilla187 is 100% spot on. He's not disrespecting the art, he's just stating how weak it is for actual fighting.
Shotokan Karate has done wounders for me, my health is top notch, my mental status is allways great when i train hard, my balance is great, my center of gravity is very low, anyway the whole deal you think about, when you think about TMA.
However i do agree you spend 85% of your training doing stuff that will NEVER work on a real fight. I mean just like NinjaKilla187, if you have to adapt, why not teach the real stuff that works from the beggining?

I mean just like NinjaKilla187, if you have to adapt, why not teach the real stuff that works from the beggining?

Maybe because before you learn to be a fighting machine, you need to learn balance, coordination, flexibility, discipline, and respect. Those worthless TMA's aren't half bad at helping people with those. :icon_twis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back