Can someone please explain how hunting is considered normal?

"How is something that humans have always done considered normal", wtf TS? What about fishing, is that not "normal" enough for you?

Yeah, but fish are ugly and stupid, so it's okay. They don't make a noise when I kill them, so my feels are unaffected.

Idiot is idiot. You posted hunting should be ok because history so I should assume we should be ok with slavery right because... history lol.

Comparing hunting to slavery is full potato. Never go full potato.

Mostly because it equates humans, and our prey. That’s not how it works...

Idiot is idiot. You posted hunting should be ok because history so I should assume we should be ok with slavery right because... history lol.

yea bro it's crazy humans have a history of drinking water to live but screw that noise not with all these choice of things I can drink bro ...

We get some monster pigs up in the cane fields, but I wouldn't eat them unless they were extremely well cooked. Too many parasites.
True indeed. In Sweden, every boar that is killed has to be screened for parasites by the National Food Agency or a laboratory that is certified by government.

Many boars in Sweden are also radioactive (thanks Chernobyl disaster).

I went on a crossbow hunting with a friend. didn't get to shoot. just there to observe. I do fish everyday and has seen some turkey while in the river...would love to get me a rifle to have a shot at them when season opens. just can't get to think of owning a gun with kids at home. nothing to it TS. but I agree....endangered species should be off the list.

All animals want to live and only have one chance at life, just like us.

If you hunt an animal for survival then who can argue with that?

If you kill an animal or have someone kill/slaughter it for you while having a choice of other food to eat, then (imo) you have needlessly taken a life.
I’m legitimately curious, my family were settlers and farmers in the Midwest, so we’ve always hunted for meat. Nothing is wasted, and it isn’t for trophies. My question is, why is it morally acceptable for other omnivores, say bears for example, to eat meat but not humans? If the natural cycle of a deer is to become old enough to either get wasting disease, or else become something else’s prey, why is it morally wrong for the predator to be a human as opposed to a pack of coyotes? I can’t bring myself to see the ethical argument against hunting for food, to me humans are a natural part of the ecosystem, no different from other animals. What is your opinion on humans being just like other omnivorous animals?

True indeed. In Sweden, every boar that is killed has to be screened for parasites by the National Food Agency or a laboratory that is certified by government.

Many boars in Sweden are also radioactive (thanks Chernobyl disaster).

Costly? Still worth it. I like game meat, but there's nothing less appetising than the idea of biting into a medium-rare cyst of trichinella worms.

I would argue that hunting for meat is a more natural place in the ecosystem for humans than farming animals for it. We developed as omnivores for a reason. It's also the reason we've not biologically evolved away from it to pure herbivores.

In nature, your sensibilities and feelz mean nothing. It's rather likely that if everyone currently a member of this forum were scooped up and dropped in the deep woods of backwater Canada that 98% of you would be dead of exposure, dehydration, poisoning, starvation or animal predation in a week, two at the most, and many probably much more quickly due to a combination of issues.

Hunting, for me, keeps me grounded in the reality of my position in the food chain. It also provides me with knowledge and security that in the event all the technology we rely so heavily on isn't available, that I would still have a higher likelihood of being able to feed myself and those around me unlike many if not most of my city dwelling friends.

Last edited:
I only buy meat when I strike out on a hunt. Buying meat feels like cheating and store bought meat tastes pretty bad.

I agree and speaking of wild boars, a friend of mine is a hunter. He hit a wild boar with a perfect hit (went through the right internal organs), yet the boar ran some 150 meters on adrenaline. They had to call in the dogs to track it in the dark.

You European wussies need to step your hawg huntin' game up

I eat meat, I'm fully aware of the livestock treatment, it's not like I get mad at it. But as part of my diet I consume it. Now hunting! what's going on with that? People get the kick of shooting defenseless animals, it's not like you have a stick and stones like millenniums ago, it's a fucking rifle. People who go to Africa just to shoot endangerous species are psychopaths and don't give me the "helping tribes" bs. I'm not a peta guy, but taking down a large animal just for the kicks is sick.
I'm not a fan of hunting either but its sort of necessary or else wildlife would grow out of control.

I’m legitimately curious, my family were settlers and farmers in the Midwest, so we’ve always hunted for meat. Nothing is wasted, and it isn’t for trophies. My question is, why is it morally acceptable for other omnivores, say bears for example, to eat meat but not humans? If the natural cycle of a deer is to become old enough to either get wasting disease, or else become something else’s prey, why is it morally wrong for the predator to be a human as opposed to a pack of coyotes? I can’t bring myself to see the ethical argument against hunting for food, to me humans are a natural part of the ecosystem, no different from other animals. What is your opinion on humans being just like other omnivorous animals?

Each person has their own set of ethics and morals. I don't expect everyone to share the same ethics and morals as I do.

The difference between a human and a bear is the bear doesn't have any alternatives for food. A coyote also doesn't have any alternatives but to kill to survive. Both the bear and the coyote would die without killing another animal and consuming its flesh. If a human being was in the same position then I don't see it as morally or ethically wrong.

I'm personally lucky enough to have access to food that doesn't involve eating the flesh of another sentient being. I like animals and that includes farm animals like pigs and cows. I wouldn't be consistent with my ethics and morals if I only chose to like certain animals, like dogs for example and ignore the suffering that farm animals go through.

In regards to animal vs human instinct/behaviour. I like watching videos about animals and I noticed something the other day that made me think. Domesticated carnivoros animals will not always kill another animal (one we would normally see as its prey) if they're not starving or know they will eventually be fed. For example, a dog can share the same home as a cat, but it won't kill the cat and eat it, but if it were in the wild and starving then it would kill it. It lead me to think that even some animals when they have alternatives will choose not to kill. So, it makes me wonder if killing is purely a survival mechanism and it isn't necessary when there is no need to kill to survive.

One last thing I will say is (imo) hunting for your food is a lot better from an ethical and moral stand point. At least the animal has had a chance at a free life and if lucky may evade the hunters and live another day. A farm animals fate was sealed before it was even born. It will never know what being free is like and one day be slaughtered.

Also, "normal" is definitely not the word you're looking for. Going out and killing your own food is more "natural" than driving to the supermarket and buying plastic wrapped meat.

Too many Disney films have fetishized what nature and wild animals are really like.

People have invested a lot of emotion in anthropomorphizing their pets, zoo creatures, and Meek-rat's in their manors. That is not the stark reality of what animals are or how and why they behave the way they do.

Simply modern wishes and sentiments about our own lives transferred onto four legged daydreams.

You really think using a gun to hunt is cheating? How about animals having fangs, claws, strength, speed, etc. that would rip your face apart in a split second? Is that 'cheating' on their part?

Each person has their own set of ethics and morals. I don't expect everyone to share the same ethics and morals as I do.

I hope not. If that is all I have for my ethics or morality, I might be subject to changing my ethics or morality for any expediency.

You really think using a gun to hunt is cheating? How about animals having fangs, claws, strength, speed, etc. that would rip your face apart in a split second? Is that 'cheating' on their part?

Also, why on earth would we want to be subject to fairness in a deadly game vs. nature?

That we can think, reason, and use our emotions to personal as well as group ends independent of nature built the world around us.

So you're OK with eating meat from an animal that was trapped in a cage its' entire life.... but shooting a wild animal - which at least got to experience life before it died - is too much? {<huh}

'Explain to me how factory farming is considered normal'

↑ Better topic, IMHO.

I eat meat, I'm fully aware of the livestock treatment, it's not like I get mad at it. But as part of my diet I consume it. Now hunting! what's going on with that? People get the kick of shooting defenseless animals, it's not like you have a stick and stones like millenniums ago, it's a fucking rifle. People who go to Africa just to shoot endangerous species are psychopaths and don't give me the "helping tribes" bs. I'm not a peta guy, but taking down a large animal just for the kicks is sick.

The funny thing is that those shooting in Africa your talking about cost a lot of money and the money goes towards helping those animals as well. It's not as simple as your making it out to be.

As for hunting in general some people see it as more humane then what they are doing to animals in factory farms. On top of that some people don't like the food those animals are being fed so they see hunting meat as better for you.

Back