Can someone explain to me the Floyd Mayweather/Adrien Broner heavy bag type workout?

757mma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering what is the benefit of the type of punches Mayweather/Broner do on the heavy bag? I understand that they go non-stop doing pitter patter punches, but besides endurance what is the true benefit? Also, I apologize if this was mentioned in some other thread, I just couldn't find anything about it on here.

Wrong forum.

Usually Floyd don't go hard when the cameras are on. I've personally seen him do REAL work, whenever the cameras are on Floyd usually does grade C work.

edit: Sorry I thought this was posted in the boxing discussion

Hey guys, just wondering what is the benefit of the type of punches Mayweather/Broner do on the heavy bag? I understand that they go non-stop doing pitter patter punches, but besides endurance what is the true benefit? Also, I apologize if this was mentioned in some other thread, I just couldn't find anything about it on here.

Wrong forum.

Usually Floyd don't go hard when the cameras are on. I've personally seen him do REAL work, whenever the cameras are on Floyd usually does grade C work.

Lol I had posted this in the boxing discussion thread when I saw your reply

Wait are you talking about the mitt work or on the heavy bag??

Wrong forum.

You've been to MBC?

I head someone say once that it is better for still-pictures to go easy during media/open workouts.

I was going to post this exact same question, can someone just elaborate a little bit more on the bag work, even if he is not putting his best effort, what exactly is the purpose of staying stationary in front of the bag and throwing consistent punches, without employing anything else like footwork, head movement etc?

Wrong forum.

Why not do your best work on the heavy bags for the cameras? Does he think opponents are really going to get much of an advantage if they see it?

I always assumed it was either b/c he is tapering down by the time 24/7 or All Access comes around, OR b/c he is trying to save his hands.

I was going to post this exact same question, can someone just elaborate a little bit more on the bag work, even if he is not putting his best effort, what exactly is the purpose of staying stationary in front of the bag and throwing consistent punches, without employing anything else like footwork, head movement etc?

From the outside looking in:

There's a purpose for everything, from my understanding Floyd sr doesn't teach footwork as often as we think he does. He is more concerned about developing the crab and the reflex's that it requires. If you want pbf or broner hit the bag you will see some stables of a Sr trained ( or emulated) fighter, including:

Measuring stick
Lead rights
Outside pivots
Shoulder rolls
Jabs to the body
And counters like the pull counter.

Watching them hit the bag is pretty much like watching them hit the mitts. Any body can load up a shot, its not about that its about punch placement.

From the outside looking in:

There's a purpose for everything, from my understanding Floyd sr doesn't teach footwork as often as we think he does. He is more concerned about developing the crab and the reflex's that it requires. If you want pbf or broner hit the bag you will see some stables of a Sr trained ( or emulated) fighter, including:

Measuring stick
Lead rights
Outside pivots
Shoulder rolls
Jabs to the body
And counters like the pull counter.

Watching them hit the bag is pretty much like watching them hit the mitts. Any body can load up a shot, its not about that its about punch placement.
This is a really good explanation thanks :)

Back