Can Sherdog finally put "K-1 striking" myth to rest?

You must be new here TS

There will always be threads made about it.

Okay. But we've seen high level grapplers come into MMA and do well at grappling in MMA. The same cannot be said for "K-1 level strikers" in striking in MMA.

Guys like Jacare, Maia, and Werdum aren't getting outgrappled in MMA. Werdum never got subbed by Big Foot, or Travis Browne in the first round.

All I'm saying is, Sherdog overestimated "K-1 level striking."

Please refer to UFC 1 to see how MMA favours pure grapplers over pure strikers. I would say there is a bigger difference, if you can even talk about things in this way, between striking for MMA than there is for grappling to MMA. Of course, you can be punched in MMA, but this is easier to cater for than the threat of takedowns, clinching, and smaller gloves.

Why do people bother to set up accounts to troll with this boring pro-Zuffa, anti the past, anti-pride and any other org rhetoric? It's fucking embarrassing to have accumulated nearly 250 posts on your alt account or post-ban account within 6 days and to have filled them with this shit. Sweet life, brah.

,,thumBs-up.png

K-1 HW division has alway been a joke and anyone trying to act like they are elite at anything are fools. However, I believe the middleweight K-1 fighters were always the best strikers on the planet

They are great in K1

Why do people bother to set up accounts to troll with this boring pro-Zuffa, anti the past, anti-pride and any other org rhetoric? It's fucking embarrassing to have accumulated nearly 250 posts on your alt account or post-ban account within 6 days and to have filled them with this shit. Sweet life, brah.

You sound butt-hurt. I'd be, too, if I was a Kickboxing fanboy, only to learn that my favorite sport has athletes that can't cut it in a sport with supposedly "bottom of the barrel" striking.

Hoost, who's regarded as one of the best in the sport, lost to Bob Sapp of all people, twice. Not only did he lose to Bob Sapp, he was destroyed by him with little effort on Sapp's part.

Manhoef was KO'd standing against Robbie Lawler -- the Robbie Lawler that hadn't been relevant in years.

Overeem got his ass kicked left and right in MMA. He goes back to Kickboxing and decimates the top tier.

Semmy Schilt, who, along with Ernesto Hoost, is considered one of Kickboxing's best, was KO'd on the feet in MMA as well.

Your tears, though? Delicious.

He was slipping Bigfoot like crazy, making it look easy, until the third round when he came out visibly gassed and static. His cardio is a big problem.

Someone did not watch the fight. Bigfoot hardly threw a punch in the first round for Reem to slip. The second was fought on the ground and the third started off with both fighters going for a take down and colliding. Out of that Bigfoot was quicker to the punch and hurt Reem and pushed the attacked and finished him off.

You sound butt-hurt. I'd be, too, if I was a Kickboxing fanboy, only to learn that my favorite sport has athletes that can't cut it in a sport with supposedly "bottom of the barrel" striking.

Hoost, who's regarded as one of the best in the sport, lost to Bob Sapp of all people, twice. Not only did he lose to Bob Sapp, he was destroyed by him with little effort on Sapp's part.

Manhoef was KO'd standing against Robbie Lawler -- the Robbie Lawler that hadn't been relevant in years.

Overeem got his ass kicked left and right in MMA. He goes back to Kickboxing and decimates the top tier.

Semmy Schilt, who, along with Ernesto Hoost, is considered one of Kickboxing's best, was KO'd on the feet in MMA as well.

Your tears, though? Delicious.

Lol dude, I'm not biased in any direction. You're just a bellend and find it funny to intentionally overlook the nuances of these two sports and the crossovers between them. I ain't the one wasting their time posting so prolifically because I got banned or don't want to compromise the image of my other account. Either way, sweet existence, brunestick!

Lol dude, I'm not biased in any direction. You're just a bellend and find it funny to intentionally overlook the nuances of these two sports and the crossovers between them. I ain't the one wasting their time posting so prolifically because I got banned or don't want to compromise the image of my other account. Either way, sweet existence, brunestick!

It's a miracle that "nuance" is even part of your vocabulary, but I doubt you could actually define it and relate it to this situation. We don't have to debate their differences or discuss how it dictates an athlete's ability to perform. MMA fighters have fought under Kickboxing rules and destroyed the best they have to offer. Cry some more now.

three pages into the thread and people have alredy given Bob Sapp a K-1 WGP title and an extra win against Hoost.

where else does he get that much love?

Dude, it's a different sport with a few overlapping areas of MMA.

People becoming better strikers by competing in K1 is a fact, not a myth.
Whatever they do with that in MMA is an entirely different question.

Go line up some MMA guys to have a kickboxing match with Semmy Schilt and make some popcorn.

Rampage was 2-0 in K-1 against Cyril Abidi. Also, Schilt's MMA career started six years prior to his professional kickboxing career. So I guess the joke's on you, buddy.

Abidi's K-1 record is 15 wins, 16 losses. What do you call that sort of guy in MMA?

A challenged a guy's preconceptions and I was correct. Besides, one would think that a guy with a 9-4 K-1 record (with a 2-0 record against Aerts at the time) would have beaten the then 0-0 Rampage. But hey, use whatever excuses you want.

Now about that MMA guy that became multiple-time K-1 champion...

240px-Sem-schilt.jpg

Deal with it.

Last edited:
A challenged a guy's preconceptions and I was correct. Besides, one would think that a guy with a 9-4 K-1 record (with a 2-0 record against Aerts at the time) would have beaten the then 0-0 Rampage. But hey, use whatever excuses you want.

I don't need excuses as I've already said many times that K-1's heavyweight division was ankle-deep; a few talented guys + a lot of mediocre guys, bums.

I'm just mocking some fans' insistence that Rampage beating underachiever Abidi, Mousasi beating an over the hill Musashi, Kawajiri beating an even more over the hill Kozo, etc. is some proof that kickboxing ain't shit.

Dude, it's a different sport with a few overlapping areas of MMA.

People becoming better strikers by competing in K1 is a fact, not a myth.
Whatever they do with that in MMA is an entirely different question.

Go line up some MMA guys to have a kickboxing match with Semmy Schilt and make some popcorn.

thank goodness.

this is as far as i'm reading. at least ONE person on here gets it

Now about that MMA guy that became multiple-time K-1 champion...

240px-Sem-schilt.jpg

Deal with it.

:icon_lol: you missed this while reading up on him on his wiki just now:

Karate

• 2 times Daido Juku Hokutoki champion. open-weight division, 1996/1997
  • 2 times IBK (International Budo Kai) European Champion Full contact karate (Knockdown karate rules) 1995/1996
  • 3 times IBK (International Budo Kai) Dutch Champion Full contact karate (Knockdown karate rules) 1993/1994/1995
  • Runner-up Open British Kyokushin Championship 1997
more like 'karate guy who tried MMA and won some pancrase belts'

:icon_lol: you missed this while reading up on him on his wiki just now:

Karate

• 2 times Daido Juku Hokutoki champion. open-weight division, 1996/1997
  • 2 times IBK (International Budo Kai) European Champion Full contact karate (Knockdown karate rules) 1995/1996
  • 3 times IBK (International Budo Kai) Dutch Champion Full contact karate (Knockdown karate rules) 1993/1994/1995
  • Runner-up Open British Kyokushin Championship 1997
more like 'karate guy who tried MMA and won some pancrase belts'

How does that dispute my point of Schilt being an MMA fighter before a kickboxer? That's right, it doesn't. You're reaching.

How does that dispute my point of Schilt being an MMA fighter before a kickboxer? That's right, it doesn't. You're reaching.

Don't play dumb, it's boring.

Back