Can Sherdog finally put "K-1 striking" myth to rest?

k1 is only 3 3 minutes rounds.

if you noticed overeems always kicking azz in 1st round, then gasses.

used to think this but if you watch some of his fights that go deeper, he's fine as long as he is in control of the fight. If you give him resistence, he crumbles.

Dude, it's a different sport with a few overlapping areas of MMA.

People becoming better strikers by competing in K1 is a fact, not a myth.
Whatever they do with that in MMA is an entirely different question.

Go line up some MMA guys to have a kickboxing match with Semmy Schilt and make some popcorn.

hahah TS got owned on page 1.

Apples/oranges. In K-1 Ovreem would have wiped the floor with the entire UFC roster, including Dos Santos, and he would have done it with ease. MMA you have to constantly worry about the TD, smaller gloves etc

Dos Santos would smack Overeem around in any sort of striking contest involving fists that you want to make.

I remember there was a time, if anyone competed in K-1, that meant to a lot of sherdoggers they were going to knock out everyone in MMA. For the longest time I scratched my head at this theory, because time after time, we've seen these world class strikers get knocked out in highlight reel fashion by much "lesser" strikers.

But after seeing the destruction of the Reem can we all just admit K-1 striking means jack shit? Reem has some of the worst striking defense we've ever seen in MMA, and I'm not blaming his chin (although, it's not the best), because he usually just gives up for whatever reason and takes a beatdown. To top it off, he throws virtually no combinations what so ever. How did this guy win the K-1 Grand Prix? Well, I guess even Bob Sapp of all people won the K-1 Grand Prix.

He's got good defense until he gasses.

used to think this but if you watch some of his fights that go deeper, he's fine as long as he is in control of the fight. If you give him resistence, he crumbles.

I suppouse your'e talking about his last two UFC fights, huh?

Dude, it's a different sport with a few overlapping areas of MMA.

People becoming better strikers by competing in K1 is a fact, not a myth.
Whatever they do with that in MMA is an entirely different question.

Go line up some MMA guys to have a kickboxing match with Semmy Schilt and make some popcorn.

Sums this up quite nice.

its no secret that overeem has a bad chin n gasses easy.

vs browne he went all out n some refs would have stopped that fight.

then he just looked exhausted.

he could barely hold his hands up.

browne was spamming those telegraphed up kicks till he connected.

you seriously think if they fought in k1 browne would beat him with those kicks?

Well said.

Same goes for any aspect of MMA. Using the TS's rationale, one could argue that the excellence in submission grappling that Fabricio Werdum has shown time and time again versus the best in the world at ADCC is nothing but a myth because he was decisioned by a K-1 world champion in Overeem.

Apples to oranges.

Okay. But we've seen high level grapplers come into MMA and do well at grappling in MMA. The same cannot be said for "K-1 level strikers" in striking in MMA.

Guys like Jacare, Maia, and Werdum aren't getting outgrappled in MMA. Werdum never got subbed by Big Foot, or Travis Browne in the first round.

All I'm saying is, Sherdog overestimated "K-1 level striking."

Joe Rogan started the nonsense and Sherdog lapped it up.

bob sapp beat hoost 3 times

Sort of. I didn't like the stoppage where Hoost demolished Sapp so much that he couldn't continue in the tournament and Hoost was fine to continue, took his place and won it all I believe.

He's got good defense until he gasses.
naw, he really doesn't except maybe in K1 where he's just a tank with that high guard and the big gloves, but Alistair has pretty much no effective footwork or head movement which is why his most devastating attacks usually come from the clinch (although his stance switching, on full display against Peter Aerts, Remy Bonjasky, and Brock Lesnar is beautiful and effective). Against Browne he was gassed, to be sure, but also just maintaining a high guard as if he were wearing K1 gloves because that's what most fighters train in (not a good idea IMO), probably because it's just natural to resort to the most fundamental, basic techniques when tired and/or hurt which basically translates to covering up, and it's just unfortunate because his choice of the wrong defensive technique got him kayoed; front snap kicks come from beneath and should be defended against with footwork not covering up.

No he doesn't. People are always trying to blame his gas tank, His defense is the problem, not his cardio.

He was slipping Bigfoot like crazy, making it look easy, until the third round when he came out visibly gassed and static. His cardio is a big problem.

naw, he really doesn't except maybe in K1 where he's just a tank with that high guard and the big gloves, but Alistair has pretty much no effective footwork or head movement which is why his most devastating attacks usually come from the clinch (although his stance switching, on full display against Peter Aerts, Remy Bonjasky, and Brock Lesnar is beautiful and effective). Against Browne he was gassed, to be sure, but also just maintaining a high guard as if he were wearing K1 gloves because that's what most fighters train in (not a good idea IMO), probably because it's just natural to resort to the most fundamental, basic techniques when tired and/or hurt which basically translates to covering up, and it's just unfortunate because his choice of the wrong defensive technique got him kayoed; front snap kicks come from beneath and should be defended against with footwork not covering up.

He does have the ability to slip most heavyweights. He was pretty much clowning Bigfoot until the third round, for instance.

I remember there was a time, if anyone competed in K-1, that meant to a lot of sherdoggers they were going to knock out everyone in MMA. For the longest time I scratched my head at this theory, because time after time, we've seen these world class strikers get knocked out in highlight reel fashion by much "lesser" strikers.

But after seeing the destruction of the Reem can we all just admit K-1 striking means jack shit? Reem has some of the worst striking defense we've ever seen in MMA, and I'm not blaming his chin (although, it's not the best), because he usually just gives up for whatever reason and takes a beatdown. To top it off, he throws virtually no combinations what so ever. How did this guy win the K-1 Grand Prix? Well, I guess even Bob Sapp of all people won the K-1 Grand Prix.
Bob Sapp won a qualifying tournament, not the fucking Grand Prix. Christ, if you're going to lie about yourself, lie convincingly. "Remember a time", like right before the Bigfoot fight, when you first started watching, after Overeem beat Lesnar.

He does have the ability to slip most heavyweights. He was pretty much clowning Bigfoot until the third round, for instance.
lol that performance was a complete joke technically because Alistair Overeem has NEVER been known for his head movement at any point in his career, and yet here he goes acting as if he's James fucking Toney just to humiliate Bigfoot (which I'm sure was intentional given all the smack he talked prior to that fight) despite showing basic technical failures in defense; for instance, nearly all of his slips/shoulder rolls did not feature the covering of the chin by the lead shoulder so he could have been nailed with a combination in the process of doing that (say a right hand to draw the slip followed by a stepping right hook [into a southpaw stance to throw the punch from a new angle]) if Silva wasn't an awful striker who can basically only throw 1-2 lethargic strikes at a time, and was not able to effectively exploit Overeem's continual dangling of his chin until the third round in their fight at which point he smashed him with a tremendous right straight, then provoking the fight-ending Tekken sequence.

Beyond this his attempts to duck punches were made redundant by his consistent failure to make any attempt to cover his chin with his hands (or... use a guard), and so Bigfoot actually began to try and draw Overeem's ducks and meet him with uppercuts which is simply not something a fighter like Bigfoot should be able to do to a guy who won the K1 Grand Prix, but there it was. Oh, and Reem also attempted his classic overhand with nothing in the way of a guard numerous times, and got clipped once or twice doing that as well.

Furthermore Overeem has never shown any great ability to slip punches or use basic defensive footwork such as lateral steps at any point in his career, even when competing at the highest level of kickboxing.

Simply put, the guy who destroyed Lesnar in a round was not at that fight. /shrug

Of course I do agree with you that his conditioning is a real problem, but he's pretty much a purely offensive striker in all sincerity, and it really showed against Bigfoot.

Last edited:
Bob Sapp won a qualifying tournament, not the fucking Grand Prix. Christ, if you're going to lie about yourself, lie convincingly. "Remember a time", like right before the Bigfoot fight, when you first started watching, after Overeem beat Lesnar.

The point you tried to gloss over is that Bob Sapp beat Hoost.

But nice try.

Back