Can Sherdog finally put "K-1 striking" myth to rest?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Lil Smokie, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Lil Smokie Blue Belt

Lil Smokie
    I remember there was a time, if anyone competed in K-1, that meant to a lot of sherdoggers they were going to knock out everyone in MMA. For the longest time I scratched my head at this theory, because time after time, we've seen these world class strikers get knocked out in highlight reel fashion by much "lesser" strikers.

But after seeing the destruction of the Reem can we all just admit K-1 striking means jack shit? Reem has some of the worst striking defense we've ever seen in MMA, and I'm not blaming his chin (although, it's not the best), because he usually just gives up for whatever reason and takes a beatdown. To top it off, he throws virtually no combinations what so ever. How did this guy win the K-1 Grand Prix? Well, I guess even Bob Sapp of all people won the K-1 Grand Prix.

2. Gaffeln Blue Belt

Gaffeln
  3. Wand4Life Silver Belt

Wand4Life
    Dude, it's a different sport with a few overlapping areas of MMA.

People becoming better strikers by competing in K1 is a fact, not a myth.
    Whatever they do with that in MMA is an entirely different question.

Go line up some MMA guys to have a kickboxing match with Semmy Schilt and make some popcorn.

4. PRIDEWASBETTER Gold Belt

PRIDEWASBETTER
    K-1 Hughes is teh GOAT.

5. UD Orange Belt

UD
    AO doesn't represent the entire K-1 org and every fighter.

Bob Sapp didn't win THE grand prix, he won the Japan GP. He lost in the World GP.

6. Pem123 Black Belt

Pem123
    MMA striking is different to some extend

7. gboy É normal

gboy
    Yes because the Overeem fight clearly showed how poor his stand up was right?

8. Joey Sangfroid Purple Belt

Joey Sangfroid
    K1 Jake Shields would tool him

9. PowermmA Purple Belt

PowermmA
    It means something, just not everything.

10. Malachai Facta Non Verba

Malachai
    Some guys win K1 because they're great kickboxers.... some win because they're huge.
    Buakaw is a far better striker than Bob Sapp for example.

The competition varies wildly year to year as well. Crocop didn't exactly defeat a murderer's row to win the Grand Prix last year.

Just having been in K1 doesn't mean much... even Butterbean has K1 fights on his record.

11. Kickboxer0204 Yellow Belt

Kickboxer0204
    K1/Glory Fighters train all day on their Stand up
    MMA fighters train all day on Stand up AND Ground game

So obviously Kickboxing/MT fighters focus more on their stand up then MMA fighters.
    Kickboxers without a doubt have better Stand up but MMA fighters have a better overall game then Kickboxers.

This is a fact.

12. ISTUDI Yellow Belt

ISTUDI
    But... But.... But Joe Rogan told me that K1 is the best ):

13. PRIDEWASBETTER Gold Belt

PRIDEWASBETTER
    That fight is ending via leg kicks or switch kick. Not sure yet.

14. TheWolfsHowl Brown Belt

TheWolfsHowl
    K-1 Maia could totally KO K-1 Hughes.

15. JayMachiavelli Black Belt

JayMachiavelli
    You do realize why the word "Mixed" is in Mixed Martial Arts right? You're either trolling or not familiar with the aspects of MMA. I'm not gonna explain it to you, I'll let you figure it out.

16. MrHoost** Blue Belt

MrHoost**
    Its moronic to say fighter x,y or z fought in K1 and didnt do well in mma therefore the level of k1 striking is over-rated.

People say K1 was better because if you actually watch it, you see with your own eyes that the level there is far far superior to the ufc.

17. Konster Banned

Konster
    It's no myth.

Of course guys that primarily train their kickboxing will have better striking than guys that train MMA. Common sense my man.

18. JaPo Blue Belt

JaPo
    The standard of K-1 dropped significantly in recent years, and is today little more than barrel scrapings. When a roided-to-the-gills Reem won the GP, he narrowly beat an enormously undersized Tyrone Spong, an injured Saki, and an old, exhausted Aerts. He is not representative of the technical ability of the old stock of HW K-1 guys who in their day were legitimately very good. Aerts, Hoost, Hug, Cro Cop, Bonjasky etc. were the best at their craft in the 90s and you can't really argue otherwise. There are still some good HWs (Saki in particular I consider actually great) but not many compared to K-1's heyday, and most of now them fight in Glory.

That said, being a top kickboxer doesn't necessarily translate to being a top MMA fighter or even a top striker in an MMA setting. Certain styles are better translated to an MMA game than others. This, I imagine, would be the same for boxers though not many top guys have made the crossover. Cro Cop was a top athlete and a very explosive fighter with a boxing pedigree so was able to have a great deal of success fighting in Pride. 'K-1 striking' is not a myth since it is still beneficial to have that background of long-term striking training but it cannot be assumed whoever has that experience will automatically have a striking advantage over all of their MMA opponents. To indulge that line of thinking is to seriously misunderstand MMA in general.

K1 YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Watch a couple of videos from this excellent channel and you will see how good some of these guys were.

19. Barbadosdaluta Banned

Barbadosdaluta
    I'll tell you what TS. Many k1 fighters have tried their luck in mma, many couldn't make the trasition with the fear of the takedown and lack of knowledge on the ground, their striking was made inneffective in mma.

I'd love to see now the opposite, I want to see a bunch of mma fighters go to k1 or glory and see how they do against badr hari, Tyrone sponge, gokhan saki, Daniel Ghitta, in their rule set were striking is only allowed.

If you were educated TS you'd know that the reem won his k1 bout the easy way fighting all the good fighters in a tournament mode when all the good fighters were injured fighting themselves before they fought the reem.

Btw Mark Hunt and Mirko Crocop in their prime would KO guys like JDS, just look at what they did to Dos Santos in their 40's after more than 100 fights in their careers.

20. threelions Black Belt

threelions
    People tend to use the K1 striking in a sarcastic, poking fun way ie K1 Hughes. But yes someone who trains and fights in K1 is going to have good striking, that doesn't always mean they will be good MMA fighters.