Can Rockhold get Romero down in the early rounds?

ArtemV

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
In my opinion, this is what Rockhold must do to not get knocked out. Romero can close the distance very quickly and is the most dangerous and non-over the hill he has fought in quite some time.

Rockhold doesn't have a shot and relies on the double under clinch - which is rely dangerous and leaves Rockhold vulnerable if he tries to clinch when Romero strikes.

Romero also has crazy upper-body strength, so it will be difficult to get him down.

Romero is always loose and normally moves well and never really stands still, until he slows down.

Thoughts? Blackzillians aren't exactly a great team of wrestlers either...

I am predicting a 1st/2nd round ko for Romero, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets Rockhold down and pounds him out.

getting him down is one thing, keeping him there is what's proved to be difficult to everyone he's fought so far. Dudes slippery af

In my opinion, this is what Rockhold must do to not get knocked out. Romero can close the distance very quickly and is the most dangerous and non-over the hill he has fought in quite some time.

Rockhold doesn't have a shot and relies on the double under clinch - which is rely dangerous and leaves Rockhold vulnerable if he tries to clinch when Romero strikes.

Romero also has crazy upper-body strength, so it will be difficult to get him down.

Romero is always loose and normally moves well and never really stands still, until he slows down.

Thoughts? Blackzillians aren't exactly a great team of wrestlers either...

I am predicting a 1st/2nd round ko for Romero, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets Rockhold down and pounds him out.
Yeah. I predict a Rockhold win by GnP on a gassed Romero.

If he kicks him in the skull first

Haven't picked yet. Romero - explosive early and legit wrestling. Rockhold - good striking and movement. Think either Romero finishes early.... or Rockhold late. This fight is to exciting to go to decision.

in open space... no way

he's gotta work something from the clinch against the fence

Rockhold has a glass chin but if hes cautious he fights well defensively with good footwork and good body kicks to keep distance. Im sure he can play defense long enough to where Romeo is a little less explosive and a little more tired and by then the wrestling gap becomes a lot smaller. I see this fight ending in KO and it could go either way IMO. Favoring Romero but it wouldnt shock me to see Rockhold stop him.

I think it's vice versa. I think Rockhold needs to keep his distance, and use his body kicks to gas Romero out, then possibly take him down, and either lock in a sub, or gnp.

Doubtful...maybe in a scramble, or later rounds, when Gay Jesus gasses.

Rockhold has legit wrestling but that's not where he would want the fight to go.

Lukes key to winning are a few body kicks in rd 1. I think 3 well placed body kicks could start Yoels downfall.

I woudn't be surprised if he does. Romero though one of the best pure wrestlers in mma, has been taked down in the past. Rockhold is also one of the best grapplers in the MW division IMO. That being said I don't know who takes the fight. Rooting for Romero but won't be an easy one especially considering it's a 5 round fight.

Rockhold has legit wrestling but that's not where he would want the fight to go.
Rockhold has an amazing top game, no one on bottom is really a threat to him. So it would be the ideal the scenario

Getting on top of Romero is his best path to victory. If he doesn't secure top control, he can still tire Romero out by making him grapple. Still I think Yoel will TKO him inside 3 rounds.

Cuckhold is a world-class fighter.... Romero might land something big on the feet but his striking in general is meh.... Cuckhold by TKO round 4 by GnP after landing a body kick dropping Romero.

Only a ViTrTor and the Almighty Bisping can put away Cuckhold like that.

Unless Romero has really slowed down (hes old), nobody is going to out grapple him when hes fresh

I could see romero being on top and doing damage, but I could see rockhold doing damage with kicks

Back