Can i replace Deadlifts with low bar Squats?

EatMyShorts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Watching some of those Alan Thrall videos.

Working the posterior chain seems the key.

The low bar squat does this.
I do these exclusively - not high bar - my hip flexion means I get very poor depth with the high bar position.

I like doing hex bar deadlifts, and for some reason, straight bar deadlifts - if i use straps, it's awkward; if I go raw, I lose grip.

I'm just thinking - if the hex bar lifts focus more on the quads, which high bar squats normally do - would it make sense in a way to use that to work the quads, whilst using the low bar squat to work the posterior chain?
Cause I'm not hitting quads with my squats being low bar - so - I may as well use the hex bar for that, instead of hitting the same group with the two major exercises?

Theoretically, it sounds okay.

In reality?

Last edited:
Curious to know where you read or see Low Bar squats not hitting quads?

Hex bar is a good thing.

You should post a vid of your deadlifts so we can tell you what's going on. You mix grip? Overhand? Hook? Sumo? Conventional?

Your choice in comma placements makes it tough to understand what you're asking. I think you're just telling us that you can do them with straps but your grip gives out when you go strapless, am I right?

From a couple different angles - and the one in the white vest is on the hex bar.

Prob some lower back rounding it looks in some - I don't know

Have a butchers

See in this one, I lose my left grip after the 2nd - with straps.
With straps, I tend to lose my right grip.

Last edited:
And the Alan Thrall video claiming high bar squats hit the quads, low bar, no so much.

4:90 for the DL/squat comparison

Last edited:
Curious to know where you read or see Low Bar squats not hitting quads?

Hex bar is a good thing.

You should post a vid of your deadlifts so we can tell you what's going on. You mix grip? Overhand? Hook? Sumo? Conventional?

Your choice in comma placements makes it tough to understand what you're asking. I think you're just telling us that you can do them with straps but your grip gives out when you go strapless, am I right?

Mixed grip, always on the straight bar.

Good point.

If I have straps, I don't need the mixed grip - right?

Watching some of those Alan Thrall videos.

Working the posterior chain seems the key.

The low bar squat does this.
I do these exclusively - not high bar - my hip flexion means I get very poor depth with the high bar position.

I like doing hex bar deadlifts, and for some reason, straight bar deadlifts - if i use straps, it's awkward; if I go raw, I lose grip.

I'm just thinking - if the hex bar lifts focus more on the quads, which high bar squats normally do - would it make sense in a way to use that to work the quads, whilst using the low bar squat to work the posterior chain?
Cause I'm not hitting quads with my squats being low bar - so - I may as well use the hex bar for that, instead of hitting the same group with the two major exercises?

Theoretically, it sounds okay.

In reality?

While lowbar squats do work the posterior chain a lot more than highbar squats do, I wouldn't replace deadlifts with anything. There's still a lot more to deadlifts than just the posterior chain that gets worked, and squats won't suffice. Stop being lazy and pick up a barbell once in a while!

If you have grip issues, then work on your grip with farmers walks. Don't give up on a lift because you suck at it. If you suck at it, then that's evidence that you need to put in some hard work. Go back to the basics with a strapless deadlift and start over. Work your way all the way back up.

I do both low bar squats and deadlifts, there is a lot of overlap but they also largely work different areas. Either one isn't a suitable replacement for the other.

And the Alan Thrall video claiming high bar squats hit the quads, low bar, no so much.

4:90 for the DL/squat comparison

Alan's a great guy with a lot of good information. In this case, I think lack of emphasis on the quads is getting mixed up with not hitting the quads. You can't squat without activating your quads. Low bar hits them quite a bit. I'm feeling mine today after Friday's workout.

Alan's a great guy with a lot of good information.

Is he? Or is he just a weak fuck that somehow manages to get attention for regurgitating the exact same shit everyone else has been saying for a couple decades.

Ohhhhh, I forgot, he has a huge busted beard and those are trendy, these days. He must have something important to say!!!!

zercher squats for both quads and posterior chain, and always deadlift

Is he? Or is he just a weak fuck that somehow manages to get attention for regurgitating the exact same shit everyone else has been saying for a couple decades.

Ohhhhh, I forgot, he has a huge busted beard and those are trendy, these days. He must have something important to say!!!!
I like some of his stuff. There's other guys I like better, but those guys also seem to have respect for Alan (Mark Bell, Brian Alsruhe, etc.).

I do trust guys like Stan Efferding, Dan Green, Louie Simmons, etc. because they are scientific in their thinking and are terrifically strong. But even a person who isn't super strong can have excellent information to pass along. I don't dismiss a guy just because I don't like his beard.

I like some of his stuff. There's other guys I like better, but those guys also seem to have respect for Alan (Mark Bell, Brian Alsruhe, etc.).

I do trust guys like Stan Efferding, Dan Green, Louie Simmons, etc. because they are scientific in their thinking and are terrifically strong. But even a person who isn't super strong can have excellent information to pass along. I don't dismiss a guy just because I don't like his beard.

Does he have any sort of formal education or training that he incorporates into his videos? If not, I'll continue dismiss him because he's weak as fuck and brings nothing new to the table.

There's enough info out there from guys like Coan, Kaz, Kirk Karwoski, and guys of similar pedigree to cover most, if not all bases. I like hearing from guys who have actually been successful lifting heavy shit and gone through the process themselves.

Maybe it's just because I'm not a beginner, I dunno.

Does he have any sort of formal education or training that he incorporates into his videos? If not, I'll continue dismiss him because he's weak as fuck and brings nothing new to the table.

There's enough info out there from guys like Coan, Kaz, Kirk Karwoski, and guys of similar pedigree to cover most, if not all bases. I like hearing from guys who have actually been successful lifting heavy shit and gone through the process themselves.

Maybe it's just because I'm not a beginner, I dunno.
Maybe. There's nothing wrong with beginner advice too. One of the problems with advice from super strong guys is that they are often genetically super strong. "Naturals" may or may not have as much to offer as guys who had to really, really work for every pound.

Formal training? I've met guys with certs who are clueless and guys who never finished high school who know quite a bit. I don't draw the line at formal training any more than I pick guys by their facial hair.

Do you use chalk? If not, get some. If your gym frowns upon chalk use get some liquid chalk which you can just squirt on your hands.

Also, it would be impossible for low bar squats to not hit your quads unless you somehow manage to low bar squat without bending your knees.

should i bother hex bar deadlifting?

Or just stick with the straight bar?
I'm gonna try the non-mixed grip with the straps - have high hopes for that.

Maybe. There's nothing wrong with beginner advice too. One of the problems with advice from super strong guys is that they are often genetically super strong. "Naturals" may or may not have as much to offer as guys who had to really, really work for every pound.

Formal training? I've met guys with certs who are clueless and guys who never finished high school who know quite a bit. I don't draw the line at formal training any more than I pick guys by their facial hair.

I've done a seminar with Ed Coan and it was incredible. He makes things so damn easy to understand and had no issue helping someone who couldn't even squat the bar.

""Naturals" may or may not have as much to offer as guys who had to really, really work for every pound."

It's all relative, the "naturals" are just "really, really" working for every pound on a much bigger number.

I wasn't talking about shitty personal training certs. I was more thinking about someone like this: https://www.instagram.com/the_muscle_doc/. His videos are gold.

I've done a seminar with Ed Coan and it was incredible. He makes things so damn easy to understand and had no issue helping someone who couldn't even squat the bar.

""Naturals" may or may not have as much to offer as guys who had to really, really work for every pound."

It's all relative, the "naturals" are just "really, really" working for every pound on a much bigger number.

I wasn't talking about shitty personal training certs. I was more thinking about someone like this: https://www.instagram.com/the_muscle_doc/. His videos are gold.

I understand your bias against the weak. But we both know there are guys who aren't elite powerlifters who know a thing or two about strength.

And I don't think Louie Simmons has any certs or degrees. Not bullshit cert-mill garbage, not anything. He does have a beard, though. So does Chris Duffin, does that make him a hack? There's worse hacks on YT than Thrall, and weaker guys making a living giving advice on strength. At least Thrall competes.

Back