Can I compete In Muay Thai/K1 If I had mild absence seizures as a teenager?

Someguy1234

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I have been training Muay Thai for the last 10 months and have absolutely fallen in love with the sport, I have been training hard since the start and have in the last month or so begun full contact sparring (having been invited by my couch). At sparring so far I have held my own mostly but taken some heavy shots (one shot in particular I would say 'wobbled' me, but i felt fine again later that night). I have no ego and am aware I have tons to learn still.

I have no desire to pursue fighting professionally or even semi-professionally, however I would love to compete in an amateur competition at least once in my life. I am in great shape as I began running and weightlifting in my late teens religiously and also eat a very clean and calculated diet. (I am now 21).

Here Is the catch..

As a teenager (between 14 and 17 years old roughly) I was a heavy-ish drug and alcohol user, I ate like absolute shit and generally lived a very unhealthy lifestyle, drinking/getting high most days and generally being a little twat.

At the age of 16 (the height of my unhealthy lifestyle) I started experiencing absence seizures, which are essentially the most mild possible form of epilepsy. Unlike many types of severe epilepsy, my seizures simply consisted of me blanking out for anywhere between 5 and 20 seconds, I would stay conscious, stay standing, and would carry on with a task I was doing, but would be 'absent' and unsure what I was doing. Once the seizure had ended I would be more or less fine, maybe slightly tired. My seizures are not triggered by flashing lights, or any known stimulus.

The day this all happened I turned my life around, When I began medication it sorted it it all out pretty quickly, I have now been seizure free for the best part of 3 years. I also have massively cut down on the medicine i take (i barely take any now, just a couple of pills before bed, compared to a previous 6-7 a day) and my lifestyle is totally different (very little drink, no drugs, excellent diet, high level of fitness/strength, plenty of rest/sleep). I have done intense work on building sites, and THEN trained my ass of at the gym without any issues, plus I have ran half marathons and further with my 'condition'.

Simply put, I feel like my previous 'condition' has gone away, but I am afraid to tell my coach due to the potential embarrassment and am afraid that I will not be able to compete as an ameatur or even spar anymore.

Does anyone have any similar experiences or have any advice?

I know people will probably troll this post, make fun of it, be sarcastic etc, but I am pretty worried about all this so have mercy haha. Some will think i am a F****** idiot for taking up muay thai, but you kinda have to be crazy to take it up anyway..

TL : DR - Will a b.s condition i had as a teen stop me fighting as an amateur?

Last edited:
Man I don't know if the Sherbro Doctors are going to be the best source for giving advice on this. Personally I say just train and spar as I don't think head trauma is worth it if you aren't going to be totally serious.

Man I don't know if the Sherbro Doctors are going to be the best source for giving advice on this. Personally I say just train and spar as I don't think head trauma is worth it if you aren't going to be totally serious.

Exactly this

Consult a doctor man, no soul here is qualified to give medical advice hehe

Good that u fell in love with the sport <3 wish you the best of luck no matter what you decide

Exactly this

Consult a doctor man, no soul here is qualified to give medical advice hehe

Good that u fell in love with the sport <3 wish you the best of luck no matter what you decide
I've actually gotten great medical advice from Sherdog MD lol That was back before the mods cracked down on those kinds of threads. TS should definitely see a real doc for something like this though.

We don't want to be responsible for your death. Get medically cleared by a doctor.

by all means go see a doctor and tell them this exact story.

BUT I believe having an amateur fight or two won't be a death sentence. depending on size/skill/level of recklessness people eat harder shots in sparring than in an ammy debut.

Definitely see your doctor and get whatever tests are available.

If the doctor clears you go for it. If not then you need to really think about it. At the end of the day its your choice but you should be telling your coaches and insurance for training/fights may stop it.

Im just starting again but at the moment im full no contact due to my second abdominal surgery in 3 years so am not able to spar until cleared by a doctor. Though he may recommend i do not do it at all

Thanks for the responses guys, my only hesitation about visiting a doctor now is the fact that doctors will almost always warn people not to fight due to the health risks (that we all accept as part of the game) and would instantly dismiss the idea of me because of my past, rather than treat me objectively.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone that has had to go through a similar medical clearing or condition to compete.

Thanks for the responses guys, my only hesitation about visiting a doctor now is the fact that doctors will almost always warn people not to fight due to the health risks (that we all accept as part of the game) and would instantly dismiss the idea of me because of my past, rather than treat me objectively.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone that has had to go through a similar medical clearing or condition to compete.
We have a dawg who's been through the wringer on medical problems and combat sport. Hit up @Aleksandar Stojkovic, mate.

Due not even spar until you see a doctor. Even you do not care about yourself at least have enough respect for the gym or your fellow training parters to go get checked out. This is serious and the last thing you should want is someone being haunted for the rest of their life for accidentally causing a traumatic brain injury or even worse your death

@Someguy1234 Hello there. I am not a doctor but i am always near them so here is a few things i can suggest you.
First of course because of your life before you should check yourself, but what i read is that you do hard trainings and feel good. Sometimes that kind of trainings are harder than fight, because fight can be over quick ( if you are lucky to KO opponent) or decision.
I am a fighter who have been going trough hell, and still going , walking alone but point is to believe in your dreams. At age of 21 i survived brain stroke, my left side of body was paralized, 4 months later i had open heart surgery, i have big scar on my chest. The reason for this surgery was brain, because i had hole in my heart and trough that hole tromb attacked my brain and i got paralized. I was off for 1,5 year and i believe in myself i will be back in ring to fight. ( I was amateur fighter already ) . After that i came back on training, shape and ring. It was all i believe and wanted to do. I turned pro, i felt i was doing even better after surgery, went to Holland for fighting camps, but once i came back i discovered i have serious problems with my eyes. I lost vision 95% on right eye because pressure was very high, and like 40 or more % on left. Had few surgeries but vision was never back. Still now i see really little, and i thank God, all kind people who helped me to go in Russia for surgery, in my coutnry also . Sherdog donated money for me, i was lucky to have people like them on my side. Now i cant fight anymore, i need sometimes help to walk on streets, but what i want to tell you my friend. You are healthly, accept that and nothing will happend. Dont pay attention one minute on your problems and your brain wont even recognize it. I wish you good luck in your life, and hopefully to hear very soon results from your fights.

Life or death scenario. Asks sherdoggers who spend 3 hours a day talking about Luke Rockhold's dick

@Someguy1234 Hello there. I am not a doctor but i am always near them so here is a few things i can suggest you.
First of course because of your life before you should check yourself, but what i read is that you do hard trainings and feel good. Sometimes that kind of trainings are harder than fight, because fight can be over quick ( if you are lucky to KO opponent) or decision.
I am a fighter who have been going trough hell, and still going , walking alone but point is to believe in your dreams. At age of 21 i survived brain stroke, my left side of body was paralized, 4 months later i had open heart surgery, i have big scar on my chest. The reason for this surgery was brain, because i had hole in my heart and trough that hole tromb attacked my brain and i got paralized. I was off for 1,5 year and i believe in myself i will be back in ring to fight. ( I was amateur fighter already ) . After that i came back on training, shape and ring. It was all i believe and wanted to do. I turned pro, i felt i was doing even better after surgery, went to Holland for fighting camps, but once i came back i discovered i have serious problems with my eyes. I lost vision 95% on right eye because pressure was very high, and like 40 or more % on left. Had few surgeries but vision was never back. Still now i see really little, and i thank God, all kind people who helped me to go in Russia for surgery, in my coutnry also . Sherdog donated money for me, i was lucky to have people like them on my side. Now i cant fight anymore, i need sometimes help to walk on streets, but what i want to tell you my friend. You are healthly, accept that and nothing will happend. Dont pay attention one minute on your problems and your brain wont even recognize it. I wish you good luck in your life, and hopefully to hear very soon results from your fights.
Thanks, Aleks, and sorry to hear the eyes are still a problem. The strength it takes to have an attitude like yours is far greater than what it takes to throw a punch or kick. Know this.

Thank you alex, your story is incredible and you must have the heart of a lion to have fought after all that

I think the title of my post is somewhat misleading, i didn't mean in a medical sense would I be able to ever compete in muay thai/k1, i meant more would i be ALLOWED to compete based on my teenage medical issues. I have no doubts in my mind i can do it as I have sparred hard with little issues thus far.

Does anyone know how in-depth a medical examination is for ammy k1/muay thai matches?

Back