Can I beat CM Punk?

Hey man he got smashed by Mickey, but he’s still a good athlete( I promise you that despite his appearance) with a decent gym behind him. Your pad work is good and you look like a athlete yourself but if you have never fought or haven’t been training for about 3-4 year, I have cm punk without question.

Punks striking is pretty suspect, but in the time I’ve been doing MMA I’ve realized just how big that gap really is between low level fighters mid tier and top tier fighters. You saw cm punk get smashed by a mid level fighter, don’t assume that anybody with some striking knowledge or MMA knowledge could do so.
1-0 Boxing
2-1 Muay Thai
4 BJJ tournaments
2 golds 1 bronze 1 4th place
And I can dunk a basketball while barely being 5'10
I also run a 4.71 40 so im almost 100% sure im a better athlete then punk.

Pads or bag work don't tell the full story.

Some guys look like killers in training but perform horribly in a fight.

I'm not saying it's your case, don't get me wrong.

1-0 Boxing
2-1 Muay Thai
4 BJJ tournaments

Like I said you definitely look like a good athlete, but that pro wrestling shit requires a lot of athleticism man. Coordination is super important in that realm but yeah based on your resume alone I’d pick you over punk , 2-1 in Thai and competing in 4 bjj tournaments is about all I need to hear.

How old are you ?

Like I said you definitely look like a good athlete, but that pro wrestling shit requires a lot of athleticism man. Coordination is super important in that realm but yeah based on your resume alone I’d pick you over punk , 2-1 in Thai and competing in 4 bjj tournaments is about all I need to hear.

How old are you ?
20 turning 21 end of this year. But yeah you're right about wrestling taking a lot of athletisicm and coordination but if you ever watched punk wrestle his style was never very athletic or explosive. I found him to be more of a finesse wrestler who would tell stories in the ring.

Pads or bag work don't tell the full story.

Some guys look like killers in training but perform horribly in a fight.

I'm not saying it's your case, don't get me wrong.

Oh man we had a guy like this on the card I fought on this past weekend. Absolutely ripping the pads and looking tenacious , saw him in the ring after my fight and was severely under whelmed. It’s really tough to look good competing live , im having a really tough time with it myself straight up. Even heavy sparring and grappling full goes just isn’t the same as a live fight. I can never get overly excited about people’s pad work and equating it to there fighting skills. It’s certainly an indicator of there skills, but doesn’t paint you a full picture.

I kinda compare it to guys at the court who are hittin mad threes when they are shooting around in the gym, but play a game of pick ball and can’t function what so ever with a defender in there face.

20 turning 21 end of this year. But yeah you're right about wrestling taking a lot of athletisicm and coordination but if you ever watched punk wrestle his style was never very athletic or explosive. I found him to be more of a finesse wrestler who would tell stories in the ring.

Oh damn just a young cat ! You’ve got a lot of competition for your age, did you say you’ve been injured for two years ??

1-0 Boxing
2-1 Muay Thai
4 BJJ tournaments
look, i think you'd win, and seems most feel the same way. but now this whole thread has turned from being a bit of fun into a pretty narcissistic ride.

After clowning punk and basically guaranteeing he gets killed in the first round for his next fight i was promptly told by my friend that CM punk would probably beat me in a fight.... This did not sit well with me, in any event I took a short video before class doing some warm up pads with my coach. Im coming off a couple of lengthy injuries (Lower Back, Nose and knee) so im definitely more then a little rusty but I figured some sort of video is better then none. So who do you got sherdog? I got 10$ riding on this that you guys pick me so dont let me down sherbros!!!

EDIT: For those asking about my other experience, I took Gold in white belt for nogi in an Accenssion and GTA classic, Bronze in a grappling industys event and 4 in the NoGi provincials, that was all 2 years ago. I hold my own with the high level high school wrestlers in my gym (All College Bound wrestlers), and I have a 2-1 record in Muay Thai.

Everybody looks good hitting mitts for the most part. Not meant as a criticism.

Oh damn just a young cat ! You’ve got a lot of competition for your age, did you say you’ve been injured for two years ??
No not injured for 2 years, those jits comps were 2 years ago

It is so embarrassing that Dana has to put this guy up against somebody who has no business fighting in the UFC either, just to give punk a slight chance to maybe win. Unbelievable.

look, i think you'd win, and seems most feel the same way. but now this whole thread has turned from being a bit of fun into a pretty narcissistic ride.
Dude I was not letting somebody get away with saying punk is a better athelete then me. He better at a lot of things but that's the one imma hold till the death. I honestly just thought more people would vote against me or roast me but so far everyone has been nice :(

You guys have changed, this isnt the sherdog i know. When did you guys get so soft?

Everybody looks good hitting mitts for the most part. Not meant as a criticism.
No getting defensive when I say this but just an observation, while this does happen I actually think most people dont good on the pads. I think peoples definition of looking "good" is really loose at times and allows them to get high expectations that just shouldn't be there

What's your reach? Got a good frame on you.
Never measured it but I got kinda long arms. This could be a deciding factor though, I struggle with guys with longer reaches as I dont really run into that problems often.... Damnit now you got me thinking duke and punk might be able to use that and make a solid gameplan.

Your good, but CM Punk is a black belt in WWE, which is scary.

No getting defensive when I say this but just an observation, while this does happen I actually think most people dont good on the pads. I think peoples definition of looking "good" is really loose at times and allows them to get high expectations that just shouldn't be there

A lot of mitt work isn't just the combinations you throw, it has a ton to do with the guy holding mitts understanding your range and timing and vice versa. An experienced fighter and a life long coach who've never worked together before can look like total garbage the first few times they work together. On top of that, the real point I was making was can you get that stuff of accurately in a fight, when someone is trying to defend and punch back. Some guys, no matter how good in practice, just can't.

Back