Can humans successfully use more regulations and money to stop or lessen the impact of hurricanes?

Can humans use more regulations and money to stop or lessen the impact of hurricanes?

• Total voters
Yes. A warmer atmosphere means more intense hurricanes. More greenhouse gases means a warmer atmosphere.

They already do.

Yes. A warmer atmosphere means more intense hurricanes. More greenhouse gases means a warmer atmosphere.

Rip doesn´t think that is real. So ehhhmm prayer circles? I mean why is God hammering america with one hurricane after another? Seems the sky wizard is pissed at you guys.

Without a doubt the answer is Yes. Regulations to force MPG standards lower, farming (specifically cattle & pig) methane control, fossil fuel consumption would dramatically affect the role humans are having on the environment.

If you need proof look at the US and England during the start of the industrial revolution. Look at China right now! If it weren't for the government regulating industry we would be living in a a land of poisoned land, air, and sea.

Anyone that doesn't understand that humans are the cause of these changes in our environment is a fool.

Building standards would help but the would infringe on ma freedoms.
You shouldn't comment about something you don't know anything about.
The United States gulf coast states have the highest building standards anywhere.

TBH, it probably depends who's money it is. If it is the United States' money then yes. Anyone else, no.

Rip doesn´t think that is real. So ehhhmm prayer circles? I mean why is God hammering america with one hurricane after another? Seems the sky wizard is pissed at you guys.

This is exactly what he said would happen and the Bible explains why.

I'm talking about lowering the strength of hurricanes and storms.
Your post doesn't say that. It says, "lessen the impact." And yes, that's absolutely feasible. Houston was described as a concrete island floating on a swamp. That's why the flooding was so bad. They eliminated all their grasslands that helped prevent the worst floods and scientists warned them it was going to happen. They just ignored it. So yes, money in spent wisely in that case would have lessened the impact immensely.

Seems like a question born out of limited understanding of the modern world.

Yes, we can use money and regulations to lessen the impact of hurricanes. We could increase the standards for construction. We could devise means of impacting the hurricane where it makes landfall. We could underwrite flood insurance for all Americans. There are various ways that money could lessen the impact.

Stupid question... of course regulations can help lessen the impact of natural disasters.

100 years ago it was common for entire cities to burn to the ground in the US, doesn't happen anymore due to building codes.

I have a feeling when some people think of lessening the impact of hurricanes, they're imagining some kind of giant-fan or super-tshirt-cannon defense array along the eastern seaboard.

That's what I think of, anyway.

Building regulations in flood prone areas is about the only thing that will help.

I don't think this thread isn't going the way Rip intended.

Yes. Climate experts have a pretty high degree of confidence that climate change is leading to increased severity of hurricanes, particularly to those leaving near the water. That's due to higher sea levels, which increases the damage done by sea surges.

We can combat climate change by regulating carbon emissions in many ways and maybe even with a carbon tax.

Can't Trump just build a wall over the hurricanes?

My understanding is that walls stop everything.

Can't Trump just build a wall over the hurricanes?

My understanding is that walls stop everything.

depends on what the wall is made of

Paperclip2.png

I'm talking about lowering the strength of hurricanes and storms.

You should edit the op than rip. I voted yes as I didn't think it'd be anything but acts/codes of practice/regulations or standards to enforce higher building practices.

Are you talking about weather manipulation? If so change my vote to no.

You can spend $10 million drafting new standards, inspecting and enforcing them and have an immediate impact on damage done.

Alternatively you can pour billions into a "science" which will immediately impact your wallet but give you little in the name of weather manipulation. If we were anywhere near being able to manipulate weather you'd think we'd be able to accurately predict if it'll rain tomorrow.

Back