Can humans successfully use more regulations and money to stop or lessen the impact of hurricanes?

Can humans use more regulations and money to stop or lessen the impact of hurricanes?

• Total voters
R

ripskater

Can humans successfully use regulations and money to stop or lessen the impact of hurricanes?

Yes or No, and please explain and discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Lead, do you want to put this poll with the other climate thread? I'm assuming you would want this merged but I don't know. It's fine if you leave this here too.

I think it would be interesting to see poll numbers on who thinks we can change our natural disasters and weather with regulations and money

Last edited by a moderator:
This question is so broad as to not have a valid answer. Are you talking about structural improvements? Combating climate change? Paying to move people inland? Literally firing money out of a Howitzer?

This almost requires a clarification before valid answers can be given. As is, it's an inquiry with about 100 different weasel routes.

Where's the "not enough evidence to draw conclusions" option?

Can we seed the tropical storm clouds before they become hurricanes?

This question is so broad as to not have a valid answer. Are you talking about structural improvements? Combating climate change? Paying to move people inland? Literally firing money out of a Howitzer?

This almost requires a clarification before valid answers can be given. As is, it's an inquiry with about 100 different weasel routes.
I'm talking about lowering the strength of hurricanes and storms.

The pollution from using carbon burning fuels in the way we do is worse than what's added to warmer weather and oceans

Building standards would help but the would infringe on ma freedoms.

Can humans successfully use regulations and money to stop or lessen the impact of hurricanes?

Yes or No, and please explain and discuss.
I voted Yes.

Humans can not concoct regulations and spend money to stop the impact of Hurricans but Humans can use more regulations and money to lessen the devastating impact of Hurricanes.

Ever wonder why natural disasters in developing countries tends to do a lot more damage than comparable natural disasters in developed countries. Developed / technologically mature nations have superior buildings codes, inspections and utilization of technology to mitigate the negative impact of natural phenomena than developing nations.

I'm talking about lowering the strength of hurricanes and storms.

Lowering the present strength? No. Limiting man-made contributors to future gains in strength? Yes.

So, if you are presuming in the abstract that prevented increases are in fact present reductions, then the answer to your polls is "yes."

Questions that had an answer decades ago. The answer could be different now because it might be too late.

I don't think it will be enough to make a significant change.

Ofcourse they can. Most of the deaths from Katrina were due to more than 50 levee and flood gates failing. That was the cause of most of the deaths and most of the destruction in NO.

But as climate change gets worse, storms will get bigger. 9 of the 10 costliest Hurricanes in US history have come since 2004.

Building codes, yes. Just look at how more devastating this kind of stuff is when it hits some poor country vs a developed one.
Global warming, maybe, but it's hard because the whole world is involved into it, so maybe if the whole world cooperated into fighting it we could see a slight decrease in damage caused by hurricanes.

We can do something other than what we think makes them worse.

Easy Yes.

Build a wall to stop the hurricanes from getting in.

Back