Can Fedor improve at this stage?

thinkandbeslim

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Based on what we've seen against Meathead, Mir and Chael, do you believe that Fedor has any more than a puncher's chance against Bader?

While it is clear that he still has plenty of power in his hands, it's not just his speed and reflexes which have gone.

His cardio, which was once amazing for a HW, was non-existent against Chael. Fedor used to be able to do 10 minute rounds in Pride without being exhausted. Last night, he was gassed against Chael after only a minute.

If he doesn't land a KO punch early on against Bader, I fear it is going to be a very long night for Fedor.

Do you believe there is anything Fedor can do to improve his cardio in time for the Bader match?

Is it just a matter of him taking Bader much more seriously than Chael and training harder for the fight?

Or is this simply the best Fedor possible at his age and at this point in his career?

I think he's got a pretty good chance against Bader, he's old and is what he is at this point but that's still pretty damn good. Mitrione was a tough match up for Fedor because of his size and power which are things that aren't as big of a problem against Bader.

Fedor can still submit people. He exhausted his gas tank trying to stop Chael but did it anyway. He was tired but recovered. Bader is going to be tough but Fedor still possesses lethal power and had much better TDD than Mitrione and can actually fight off his back. Bader has been KO’d by much lighter hitters than Fedor. 70/30 Bader the favorite.

In pride Fedor was allowed to juice so his cardio wasn’t an issue. He’s now clean so you get a more realistic view of his stamina.

All it takes is one F-BOMB!

ANYONE CAN GET IT!

Based on what we've seen against Meathead, Mir and Chael, do you believe that Fedor has any more than a puncher's chance against Bader?

While it is clear that he still has plenty of power in his hands, it's not just his speed and reflexes which have gone.

His cardio, which was once amazing for a HW, was non-existent against Chael. Fedor used to be able to do 10 minute rounds in Pride without being exhausted. Last night, he was gassed against Chael after only a minute.

If he doesn't land a KO punch early on against Bader, I fear it is going to be a very long night for Fedor.

Do you believe there is anything Fedor can do to improve his cardio in time for the Bader match?

Is it just a matter of him taking Bader much more seriously than Chael and training harder for the fight?

Or is this simply the best Fedor possible at his age and at this point in his career?

No! At 42 common! I’m a huge Fedor fan but he is a weaker, older, worse chin fighter than before. Nobody beats Father Time

In pride Fedor was allowed to juice so his cardio wasn’t an issue. He’s now clean so you get a more realistic view of his stamina.
Yeah but you sick your moms dick so whatever.

A huge part of Fedor's game was avoiding damage based on his reflexes. His reflexes are nowhere near what they were, and he had changed how he fights to compensate. CroCop had the same problem and made different adjustments, Fedor just head hunts now. He can improve, but will never return to the type of fighter he was.

He can start defending takedowns for instance, like really fighting for not being taken down.
In his whole career he never exerted an effort to stop takedowns, he kinda went with the flow, but for the first time in his career, excluding the last Chael fight, he is going to fight a strong wrestler that can grapple.

If Bader gets Fedor down and stabilize after the first burst of energy Fedor is going to have, it's game over.

Fedor doesnt get younger and better but he still learns new stuff. He used same underarm hooks to beat Mir that Hendo KO'd him with, he dropped Chael with a one-two wery similar to the one Maldonado dropped him with.
He learns every time.

Fedor with his current gas tank has enough stamina for maybe 1 round war with Bader. Bader is a much better version of Sonnen with KO power and will put tremendous pressure on Fedor as he did with Mitrione. He must somehow improve his cardio and train like crazy for this fight. He can improve his current cardio but not very much. It doesn't work that way when you are old.

But Fedor vs Coleman 2 happened in the USA in Pride, and therefore puts a big hole in your theory. Or do you just like to go around claiming stuff that's never been proven?
True that. Also didnt both Vitor and Randleman get popped that event?

It's his cardio that scares me, that was worrying watching him panting after 90 seconds, I thought Chael might get it done

I think there’s very little he can do.

His style is very energy consuming and it’s really hard to pace those kind of bursts.

His style is very energy consuming and it’s really hard to pace those kind of bursts.

I always thought that he had a great motor in his prime, despite his bezerker style of fighting. That's probably gone now, but shows that the two aren't mutually exclusive.

I always thought that he had a great motor in his prime, despite his bezerker style of fighting. That's probably gone now, but shows that the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Well, I think he’s a lot like Tyson.

The only way to survive at heavyweight when you’re a small guy, is to explode past your opponents genetic advantages. Trying to win a technical war is like ice skating uphill. When you’re young and you train hard, you can usually keep that pace up. As these types of fighters get older though, they simply burn out quicker.

He can start defending takedowns for instance, like really fighting for not being taken down.
In his whole career he never exerted an effort to stop takedowns, he kinda went with the flow, but for the first time in his career, excluding the last Chael fight, he is going to fight a strong wrestler that can grapple.

If Bader gets Fedor down and stabilize after the first burst of energy Fedor is going to have, it's game over.
Fedor really only knows how to counter with Sambo at this point. I don't know if that's gonna work on someone as strong as Bader, who's ready for it. He has no idea how to defend against the cage, which is where he will be. I just don't know how he's gonna stop a takedown. He can't grapple anything like he could in his youth due to age and injuries. That leaves a very quick knockout as the method to get it done.

Agree his cardio has faded
He looked tired 3 minutes into sonnen fight but was very high paced grappling and striking
He said he wasn't tired in interview

Back