can DC dethrone Stipe?

I think Stipe is the worst style match-up for DC at HW. At HW, DC's primary strategy was to either grind his larger opponents against the cage or land the takedown. That strategy would be difficult against Stipe, who's a very good wrestler in his own right. And I think Stipe would slaughter DC on the feet.

I would love to see the match-up, but I don't think it would end well for DC.

It's possible. I'd like to see that fight.

Would love to see this matchup.

At HW, I would expect DC to have advantages in speed, grappling strength, offensive wrestling, and possibly slight cardio over Stipe.

Stipe advantages are in reach, boxing technique, punching power, and distance control.

DC can win this in the clinch or on the ground. But if Stipe can avoid clinch and TDs, he should be able to outpoint in UD or possible TKO.

Stipe should certainly be the betting favorite.
Seriously doubt this fight will happen tho.

Not anymore. He wants to retire, wants to stay away from the heavies.
Brings up a good point.
For DC to win this fight, he'd have to be highly motivated to want it.

But all indication is that, at this point in time, he has accomplished everything he set out to do.

And no version of any fighter is likely to beat Stipe under such a circumstance.

anybody think hed be able to go back to HW and be a 2 division champ?
Prime HW DC would have had a great chance. I don't think current DC can do it though.
-Older, slower, and much smaller than before
-Stipe is the bigger man, stronger man, taller man
-Stipe is the best boxer DC would have ever fought
-Stipe is a great wrestler
-Stipe will have the most power DC has ever faced (more than Rumble)
-BIG ONE: Stipe and his team are amazing gameplanners

Just looks like too much for current DC.

Yeah i wasnt comparing fighters though,just going by what i quoted as being said of both those fights beforehand.

Obviously Dan and Josh are/were pretty bad ass wrestlers with above average striking,right?

And to say Stipe would be the best striker that DC has ever faced is just silly.

<6>
<JonesLaugh>

Hendo was 43 and clearly smaller than DC. Stipe is in his prime and is significantly larger than DC. As for Barnett, he was never a "bad ass wrestler." He's a great submission grappler, but his actual wrestling isn't high level by any stretch of the imagination. Whereas Stipe was actually a good division 1 wrestler. Those analogies don't fit here.

I was confused and still am at the discussion.

I swore I read a very recent interview where DC was looking back and thought it was crazy he was ever at Heavyweight, and that he was not keen on fighting guys so much bigger than him.

Has he publicly said he is willing to fight at Heavyweight?

I know what you mean. But remember this is Sherdog, where pages upon pages of threads are spent debating things like who would win if Prime [current fighter] and Prime [past fighter] clashed. We don't let things like physical impossibility stop us, why would we care about simple disinclination?

I'd sure love to see that fight. Problem for me is I like both guys and wouldn't want to see a loser, but I think it would be a fun and interesting matchup and would be a war I reckon.

If I had to pick between Stipe vs Werdum 2 or Stipe vs Cormier then I would go for Stipe/Cormier next

Today its mismatch in favor of Stipe. Peak vs peak it would be closer, but Stipe would win anyway. Much better boxing, stronger, good wrestling, same grinding type of fighter. DC wouldnt have cardio or grinding advantage.
Cain usually beat DC in practice ( whenboth were in their prime), so Stipe would win soundly IMO.

I mean, it's by no means a lock, but anyone who doesn't have Stipe as the favourite is some kind of dope fiend.

DC had success at HW, but he never fought anyone who could strike well, or any good wrestlers, while he was there (anyone who mentions Barnett as a 'catch wrestler' in response deserves to be bitch slapped). The only times DC has struggled is when he fought men who could negate his wrestling and could strike (Gus, Jones), and he had a terrible time.

Stipe is younger, bigger, stronger, has reach, heavier hands, better boxing technique, and good offensive and defensive wrestling. DC is certainly a better wrestler, is probably better in the clinch, and has better cardio, but that is it.

Ngannou presented some very unique challenges which caused Stipe to gas. That will not happen against DC.

Are we really going to compare Barnett's grappling to Stipe's?

The only time we've seen Stipe use his wrestling was against Hunt and Ngannou, 2 guys not known for TDD.

Barnett is a highly decorated grappler specializing in catch wrestling which in laymen's speech is wrestling with submissions.

The truth is like many other wrestlers stipe does not want to be in his back at all cost. You act like Stipe is a wrestling god. DC plants people to the ground.
No, were not going to compare them because Stipe is a much better wrestler. I know what catch wrestling is.

{<jordan}

God you're such a hater

Stipe's performance vs Roy was way more impressive than DC's. WAAAY more impressive
Hater?
I'm a Stipe fan.
I was on these boards arguing how unfair it was that Stipe was being overlooked for Ngannou.
Screenshot_2018-01-03-17-17-13.png

I've been winning money on Stipe.

So when I say something critical about Stipe it's not because I'm a hater. It's because it has a valid point.

Last edited:
DC could easily beat Stipe if he's able to survive the first round barrage. All big HW's will fade drastically after the first round whereas DC has proven he can go 3 rounds easily before the cardio starts to fade.

Hater?
I'm a Stipe fan.
I was on these boards arguing how unfair it was that Stipe was being overlooked for Ngannou.
View attachment 330075

I've been winning money on Stipe.

So when I say something critical about Stipe it's not because I'm a hater. It's because it has a valid point.
good, that makes a few of us! hope rockhold wins for you.

you said DC faced a better version of roy nelson than stipe dude, come on. its not like roy is some dynamic fighter who has changed a lot in his ufc run. even if you say thats true because roy was 'sick' or 'slamming pizza and wings on fight week', stipe blew him out of the water. he looked way better against roy than DC. DC also wasnt very impressive against frank mir, either. an aged, aged, aged frank mir.

Back