Can Canelo like head movement work in MMA and Muay Thai/kickboxing?

DoggyDogWorld

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
see here

Yes or no? And if so, how would you cultivate a skill set like that?

see here

Some of those clips against Cotto you can see his feet look planted and he's bent at the waist. MMA or Muay Thai you'll eat a knee or TD doing that.

Coach Barry from “a million styles boxing” had a great video analyzing “boxing” style head movement in Muay Thai and disproving the myth of that using head movement will mean getting blasted with a high kick or knee.

Can’t seem to find it now though.

If someone has slick headmovement like that then just stop throwing at the head

Kick the legs kick the body punch the body tie them up take down etc

Got to be mad to swing at Canelos head if it was an mma fight you will just miss and eat a massive counter

@DoctorTaco

It's not only about the danger to eat a knee or kick to the head(which is still a big probability). But while doing that, you are completely off balance. Like Davem10 said, you just need a low kick to make big damage and even trip him down...
Common guys, it's just not realistic... Some Nak Muay use head movements, but not like that... Not like boxers. It's criminal to say otherwise and to make beginners think it's ok to try it.

Coach Barry from “a million styles boxing” had a great video analyzing “boxing” style head movement in Muay Thai and disproving the myth of that using head movement will mean getting blasted with a high kick or knee.

Can’t seem to find it now though.

this was a tall black man that was running a gym in Laos on IG right? I remember it being really good stuff but cant find it anymore either

see here

anything can work in anything. Generally speaking, you wouldnt want to move your head like that due to the danger of eating a big knee or kick. But that doesnt mean you cant move your head in muay thai, or that you can never move your head like that. As the sport is evolving, we are seeing movement and head movement being incorporated more. Guys like Samart used head movement in MT very effectively. Should you move like this? NO. Should you learn heademovement? YES.

this was a tall black man that was running a gym in Laos on IG right? I remember it being really good stuff but cant find it anymore either
ya. He’s dropped off social media and idk why. We used to chat over IG and FB occasionally. He had a lot of good video content and was a competent and creative mitt holder when I worked with him at a clinic

@DoctorTaco

It's not only about the danger to eat a knee or kick to the head(which is still a big probability). But while doing that, you are completely off balance. Like Davem10 said, you just need a low kick to make big damage and even trip him down...
Common guys, it's just not realistic... Some Nak Muay use head movements, but not like that... Not like boxers. It's criminal to say otherwise and to make beginners think it's ok to try it.
if I am being perfectly honest I didn’t watch the video. And leg kicks are my general go-to in kickboxing If someone has really slick head movement

anything can work in anything. Generally speaking, you wouldnt want to move your head like that due to the danger of eating a big knee or kick. But that doesnt mean you cant move your head in muay thai, or that you can never move your head like that. As the sport is evolving, we are seeing movement and head movement being incorporated more. Guys like Samart used head movement in MT very effectively. Should you move like this? NO. Should you learn heademovement? YES.
This. Also, you'd probably have more success in a kickboxing rule-set like K-1 or Glory use, mostly because the style is much more boxing heavy.

@DoctorTaco

Yeah that´s a big problem, some superstars can get out from the norm with some moves but that doesn´t mean everybody should do it.

Unflashy, compact head-movement is difficult to spot when watching but it is the most effective type. The more flashy stuff is used to clown the other guy and get fans (because most casuals or even experienced fans can't see the more compact type). It's the same thing, but more (and completely unnecessarily) exaggerated. It still works but is more for showboating purposes.

---

Also, LOL @ MT purists who say you can't effectively utilize headmovement in kickboxing, when their favorite move that they're all taught is the pullback (mechanically the worst, most exaggerated, ill-advised, overly-committed and vulnerable headmovement ever)

Edit: not even a pull-back, it's a LEANback which is the same thing but done in a worse way (worse foot placement, worse balance). The same move that got Anderson Silva KO'ed by Weidman

Last edited:
Fighters have used less defensively responsible headmovement than Canelo in MMA and had success with it. Not everyone should, or would be able to, but it's doable:

With that said there are some obvious dangers, especially slipping into the lead kick and ducking into a knee. At the other end, head movement can lead into takedowns and be very effective in MMA if modified a bit:

@DoctorTaco

after watching that highlight video I would argue that cannelo has impeccable balance. One of the things he does so well is resets back to center/neutral quickly after each slip. It’s
His balance and agility mixed with his reaction time and ring IQ (he seems to know what the follow up punch is going to be before it’s launched) that allows him to move This way.

I would say that it could work on the outside, but attempting to crowd guys on be inside to keep from getting hit when clinching is a thing wouldn’t work out as well.

Just my 2 cents

Back