Can an underweight person gain more then .5lbs of mass per week?

LuchaBear

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I understand that without steroids, the most mass one can possibly gain in a week is .5lbs but what about somebody who is underweight? Does the same rules apply?

I think that is probably meant to be the maximum amount of muscle you can put on in a week. You can put on a *lot* more than half a pound of bodyweight in a week.

Normally with a 1/lb bulk, 1/2 of that is fat, so 0.25lb of muscle. It really depends on how your body metabolizes intake. Just because you up the intake to gain 1-1.5lb a week, doesn't mean more will be lean muscle mass.
Alot of guys ended up doing a 1lb/week bulk and gained 1/4 muscle, 3/4 fat, and thats not ideal, as they would have to spend more time trimming it off when they're in their cutting cycle, and nobody wants to prolong their cut more than they have to.

I have a pretty high metabolism myself, but even I can't gain more than 1/4lb weekly regardless of how high my surplus is.

Last edited:
^^ This was something i wish my first and only trainer taught me when telling me how to eat.

I have a pretty high metabolism myself, but even I can't gain more than 1/4lb weekly regardless of how high my surplus is.
That seems very unlikely.

That seems very unlikely.
I was referring to lean muscle mass built per week. In terms of total weight (including unnecessary fat) per week, I can gain whatever based on the numbers I take. I currently gain at a rate of 0.5lb / week

A novice can gain .5-1.5 pounds per week at normally a favorable muscle to fat ratio even intermediates should be able to do that....even for an advanced lifter it is pretty unproductive to gain less than .5 pounds per week. Now an advanced lifter is almost always going to be competing in a strength sport so weight class becomes a concern but in that case you can gain strength without any movement in bodyweight but of course you will eventually stall out(that goes for intermediates as well....

I was referring to lean muscle mass built per week.
The limiting factor to rate of muscle gain, is not caloric surplus, but rather the interplay between anabolic stimuli, stress and recovery.

I was referring to lean muscle mass built per week. In terms of total weight (including unnecessary fat) per week, I can gain whatever based on the numbers I take. I currently gain at a rate of 0.5lb / week
Ah I thought you meant body weight. My mistake.

Normally with a 1/lb bulk, 1/2 of that is fat, so 0.25lb of muscle. It really depends on how your body metabolizes intake. Just because you up the intake to gain 1-1.5lb a week, doesn't mean more will be lean muscle mass.
Alot of guys ended up doing a 1lb/week bulk and gained 1/4 muscle, 3/4 fat, and thats not ideal, as they would have to spend more time trimming it off when they're in their cutting cycle, and nobody wants to prolong their cut more than they have to.

Dude, I can't fart without losing 10 lbs, and I can easily gain more than .5 lbs in a week with some effort. From one week to another I've gone from 96.5 Kg to 92.5 Kg. Just from a slight decrease(probably more than a slight) in intake.

A novice can gain .5-1.5 pounds per week at normally a favorable muscle to fat ratio even intermediates should be able to do that....even for an advanced lifter it is pretty unproductive to gain less than .5 pounds per week. Now an advanced lifter is almost always going to be competing in a strength sport so weight class becomes a concern but in that case you can gain strength without any movement in bodyweight but of course you will eventually stall out(that goes for intermediates as well....

I'm talking about muscle mass only, which I believe the limit would be .5lbs.(Without roids) Are you saying a novice can gain 1-1.5lbs of muscle a week?

a rank novice should be able to gain that much in most demo graphs but you are correct henceforth though. That said you have to gain bodyfat to gain even that much muscle so you should aim for .5-1.5 pounds per week. Even on steroids in a bulking phase you will gain bodyfat as well.

a rank novice should be able to gain that much in most demo graphs but you are correct henceforth though. That said you have to gain bodyfat to gain even that much muscle so you should aim for .5-1.5 pounds per week. Even on steroids in a bulking phase you will gain bodyfat as well.

Body fat is not something I'm trying to work around with this thread, I understand that comes with most gains.

What I'm trying to find out is the actual limit that a person can naturally gain in muscle mass and if this fact also apply's to somebody who just came out of a concentration camp. Somebody who has basically been starving and has lost a lot of mass in that time.

Is it really going to take this person years to put back whatever muscle mass he used too have?

no.....when you gain a certain amount of muscle and then cut weight putting that muscle back on is a quicker ordeal to get back that muscle provided programming is good....this is done through the process of the phenomena known as muscle memory

at any rate actual skeletal muscle is very hard to gain and I would say that .5 pounds is about the upper limit of actual skeletal muscle you can grow per week the rest comes from water retention, bone growth, visceral organ growth etc

no.....when you gain a certain amount of muscle and then cut weight putting that muscle back on is a quicker ordeal to get back that muscle provided programming is good....this is done through the process of the phenomena known as muscle memory

at any rate actual skeletal muscle is very hard to gain and I would say that .5 pounds is about the upper limit of actual skeletal muscle you can grow per week the rest comes from water retention, bone growth, visceral organ growth etc

Thank you man

Back